PDA

View Full Version : Quebec car - rust?

aznexec
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
I know this has been brought up in another thread on why quebec/eastern cars are so cheap - due to salt/humidity>rust , and potenial of salvage...

but just want opinions as i'm considering a car from out east...I have gotten a carfax check from a fellow beyond member (kind soul) and paid for a carproof...neither found any issues (I know that they are not 100% but it does make me feel a bit more comfortable on the lien/salvage concern)...so my concern shifts now towards the rust factor.

Obviously the less time a car is out there the better.

For anyone out there...
>Because of the extra salt, is undercoating standard on all new vehicals out east?? Over here it's an option...
>The car in question is 2002 - would the best bet be to simply inspect the bottom for any signs of rust?

Thoughts/Comments?
Thanks!

JAYMEZ
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Defiantly look for rest under the bottom , but also open the doors and hatch and to see if any rust has built up , it would also help to check where the spare tire sits , many people i know have found rust there. Best bet is just to look at it really closely.

But since it is new , I dont think rust would have started , but I could be wrong.

heavyD
02-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
But since it is new , I dont think rust would have started , but I could be wrong.

2002 is not new enough for an Eastern car to be garenteed rust free. If the previous owner washed the car lots it may be okay but if not all bets are off. I knew a Polish guy that brought cars from the east to curb here and some two year old cars had the undercarriage rust that we don't see for 5 - 6 years here.

ninspeed
02-06-2006, 11:42 AM
had a 02 malibu come in from NB, guy drove out here, and got rear ended, had to replace both rails and the floor due to rust, (should have just been a minor pull on anyother car)

aznexec
02-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
had a 02 malibu come in from NB, guy drove out here, and got rear ended, had to replace both rails and the floor due to rust, (should have just been a minor pull on anyother car)

NB would be worse too wouldn't due to being on the coast?

Either way that is scary... I would have assumed that being a 2002 it's a safer bet... i guess the only way to be sure is to get them to put it on a hoist and look closely..examine everything eh?

C4S
02-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by aznexec
Quebec car - rust?

YES ..

but.. you average save $3-5K .. so .. not a bad idea if you are looking for a car to flip .. but not for long term drive .. :D

Xtrema
02-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Look for radiator rust and shape of engine. I've seen an Accord V6 that's $5K less than market, I almost fell of it until I check the engine and underbody. Not worth the trouble.

69cougar
02-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by C4S

YES ..

but.. you average save $3-5K .. so .. not a bad idea if you are looking for a car to flip .. but not for long term drive .. :D

Save yourself the head ache and buy a local car instead. With the high Can $ look stateside as well. I would never buy a PQ car

aznexec
02-06-2006, 12:54 PM
it's that bad eh? wow i guess i have to reconsider even thinking of this car....

Speed_69
02-06-2006, 01:18 PM
my suggestion: Don't buy It!

From experience, i bought my car from Ontario and now i totally regret it. When i first bought it, there was no surface rust appearable at all and the undercarriage had no rust. The engine bay bolts were pretty rusty but that didn't bother me much because the rest of the body appeared fine. I have now had the car for just over a year and the rear wheel wells have started to rust as well as some small other areas on the vehicle. and it grows fcukin fast!! I got my car for a significant lower price then what i wouldve had to pay in calgary but in the end it's not worth it (unless you don't mind rust). last time i'll ever buy a car from the east.

Ben
02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
NEVER TRUST CARFAX!

That said, there's still opportunities, but it pays to have a thorough inspection done.

DonJuan
02-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Saw a 2003 Sentra come into my bros shop. The guy drove it from PQ to here and was having the OOP inspection done. It failed for some reason (springs were cracked) when you looked underneath, it looked like the car was 20 years old! Everything was reddish brown! It was really strange to see a perfectly good looking newer car on the outside and underneath it may as well have been a car in pick your part.

aznexec
02-06-2006, 03:13 PM
wow that's scary. I think I will take a flyer on the car..i even paid for the carproof so that money was a waste..but posting on here has scared the SH*# outta me.. thanks guys

On the note of carproof vs carfax:
Carproof seemed more throughout - checking insurance claimes, salvage, liens everything..it seems they continue to find partners to team up with to get more info.

CryoCarnage
02-06-2006, 03:18 PM
well if anyone wants, ican check out soem cars for some peeps when march hits over in ontario :D and its not THAT bad. after all my 18 year old supra is a flawless underbody.

Xtrema
02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
well if anyone wants, ican check out soem cars for some peeps when march hits over in ontario :D and its not THAT bad. after all my 18 year old supra is a flawless underbody.

Probably a summer car.

SilverBoost
02-06-2006, 06:53 PM
People make it sound like cars fall to pieces on the east coast in a few years.... which is not the case. More and more people get their vehicles rust proofed when they buy them. Ive never had a car rust away back there. I won't say it doesn't happen, (it can happen here as well) but I'm telling you there are some clean cars back on the east coast and you can get good deals simply because the market isn't there to sell them for higher. Do your research and you can get a clean car at a good price and it won't blow away in the wind a year later.

Eken9
02-06-2006, 07:58 PM
If the engine bay has any sort of rust anywhere, chances are, rust has formed in other places as well. I bought a Ontario car, engine bay had a little rust, no problem. Then checked under the rear fenders and the rust was terrible.

Eken9
02-06-2006, 07:59 PM
BTW car was a 1998, bought it in 2003

aznexec
02-06-2006, 09:24 PM
hmm... i may out of curiousity check the car...they said they would put it on a hoist for me to take a look...obviously, i can't see under the fender splash guards but I can check everywhere else..... scary stuff...

69cougar
02-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by aznexec
wow that's scary. I think I will take a flyer on the car..i even paid for the carproof so that money was a waste..but posting on here has scared the SH*# outta me.. thanks guys

On the note of carproof vs carfax:
Carproof seemed more throughout - checking insurance claimes, salvage, liens everything..it seems they continue to find partners to team up with to get more info.

FYI

Carproof gets no info from gov't insurance so new info for BC,SK,PQ, MB

aznexec
02-15-2006, 10:10 AM
So, as an update...

I got them to put the car on a hoist.. under carriage rust was not evident but there were some signs of the beginning of it - some fadded yellowing.... then my wife pointed out a rust bubble on the paint on the body behind the rear driverside door...right then i said...'no-way' to the car....the dealer tried to tell me they would fix it and it was simply 'surface rust' that could be scraped away'..and that he lower the price and add an undercoat...i replyed with a 'thanks but no thanks...' ANY rust on a 02 is a red flag....

wow 2002 w/ a rust bubble...who woulda thought, but I guess u guys hit the nail on the head about eastern cars..thanks for all the input...

85regal
02-15-2006, 11:22 AM
i agree with silverboost...right now one of my cars is a 94 which i shipped from ontario a month ago and there is no rust on it or the underside. being from ontario, yes cars will rust out a little faster there if not cared for. But i've seen some rusty newer model cars here as well that are from here.

me&you
02-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I've bought quite a few cars from both Ont and PQ. You have to be careful, but it can certainly be a great option. Make sure the seller is reputable (it's better to buy from a dealer in this case, as you have more options if things go sour). Also, you have to consider the kms. 02 cars can have 120,000km or 12,000km; makes a big difference.

Get everything in writing and have a non-partisan shop do the inspection.

*Edit - the cars I've bought haven't been older than 2002 or had more than 30,000km. Can't help you otherwise.

specificcivic
02-17-2006, 03:13 PM
in regards to purchasing eastern cars (Manitoba included), keep the following in mind:

Road Salt to Sand mixture for icy roads

-MB = 95% sand, 5% salt
-ON= 50% sand, 50% salt
-PQ= 40% sand, 60% salt (and sometimes greater salt to sand mixtures)

I am a MB resident and just thought that I would clarify this for any of u who group MB in w/ the other 2.

realazy
02-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Seeing the salt to sand mixtures in other provinces what about Alberta? what ratio do we use?

specificcivic
02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
for edmonton, I understand that they only use sand.
as for calgary, no clue.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty sure calgary is the same

Mr_ET
02-22-2006, 11:00 AM
just sold an eastern car a 98 without any rust at all

if the car has been washed often and rust proofed you re fine with a 2002

trust me i am from quebec city..

if not properly maintained stay away. also tell the guy to take a closup pic of the underside of the car on each side and a pic of the engine bay so you can look at the corrosion on the bolts and engine pieces. that will tell you of the condition!