PDA

View Full Version : Anybody looking for a goalie?

celica girl
02-06-2006, 10:58 AM
:dunno:

I'm looking for a team that I could practice with. I just got pads about a month ago and want to get in some practice time. I'm not the strongest skater so I don't think I'm ready to play games yet. If anyone knows of a men's/women's or mixed team that needs a goalie for practices please let me know!

Thanks!

DelSoln
02-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Yes the Montreal Canadiens. :(

civicrider
02-06-2006, 12:32 PM
we play every sunday night at the family leisure center and were usualy looking for goalies

celica girl
02-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
we play every sunday night at the family leisure center and were usualy looking for goalies

Does it matter if I suck?
Haha I've been taking lessons at the goalie shop but the problem is I'm also just learning to skate. I've got all the goaltending instincts and skills just need better movement across the crease. It's one thing to be able to stop the puck but if you can't get to it then what's the point?
:nut:

civicrider
02-06-2006, 01:46 PM
no its just fun shinny hockey, yeah i took lessions at the goalie shop for awhile too it works alright

celica girl
02-06-2006, 04:08 PM
I find that it's pretty helpful for me. I'm trying to make the transition from Field hockey to Ice hockey. The styles are totally different.

toyboy88
02-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by celica girl
I find that it's pretty helpful for me. I'm trying to make the transition from Field hockey to Ice hockey. The styles are totally different.

Who did you play field hockey for?

celica girl
02-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Right now I play on one team in the Men's league and I play on about 6 teams in the ladies league.

FiveFreshFish
02-06-2006, 06:22 PM
My advice is to take a power skating course. Improving your skating while you play is slow tedious process where you may never learn the proper skating technique. Once you've got your skating down pat, everything else will be easier to learn.

Ripper
02-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Also the oval is super cheap for public skating for additional practice.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
My advice is to take a power skating course. Improving your skating while you play is slow tedious process where you may never learn the proper skating technique. Once you've got your skating down pat, everything else will be easier to learn.
:werd: I took power skating for 3 years and i was always the fastest skater on all of my teams

dirty_magic
02-06-2006, 08:19 PM
the goalie should always be the best skater on the team, I dont necessarily mean fastest, but most technical. For goalies and lateral motion its all about the t-strides and shuffles. Lots of power skating, like everyone has mentioned, is probably the best route.

R-Audi
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Havent been to the Goalie shop for lessons for a while (Old shop, with Doug Dadswell) but your skating is the most important... i hated doing the movement drills for the first 5-10 mins with him, but they helped the most.

Other then that, dont get in over your head with games.. they arent much fun! (And do more damage then good)

Side note, anyone play in the dome before? Played there today (Oil company I work for was invited by RBC) Ice was Shite! chipped so easily, and it was very warm inside.. but so cool none the less.

Team_Mclaren
02-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Goalie shop lessons are helpful, but practices are the most helpful. Its a whole different situation when you are playing in shinny or game.

good luck

celica girl
02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
During my lessons at the goalie shop I'd say that 80% of the time is spent on movement. We work on t-pushes and shuffles through all the zones. Then he warms me up with a few shots and then we combine the two. T-Pushing from the post to the top of the crease and then into the butterfly for the shot. After 4 lessons I can totally see an improvement. I have also been going to public skate times at the Oval and at Cardel to practice. I have even worn my pads out there a couple times.

It's not so much that I'm wanting to jump into games it's just hard to find time where I can go out and skate with all my gear on. At all the outdoor rinks people are usually playing games anyway. Where can I take a power skating course?

Thanks for all the help. I totally appreciate it!

Mr_John
02-06-2006, 11:10 PM
how much are goalie lessons at the goalie shop?

the university has shinny hockey every friday from what i believe also
friend told me about it so im not sure about the competition

Team_Mclaren
02-06-2006, 11:12 PM
actually out door would be good as long as they have some decent ice. I play outdoor a few sats at westhill. They usually have a decent size game going on.

and like some people have said, the Sunday night shinny is pretty good. Good for pratice anyway.