PDA

View Full Version : Saab 9-3 Aero or Subaru Legacy?

bigboom
02-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Ok I'm trying to make up my mind between the two cars and I'm having a heckuva time doing so...does anyone have any opinions on any of the cars? Both of them will be 2006 model years...in particular im looking for experiences with SAAB, I know its not the most popular car around but if there is any experience with them please post...

RUQUIKR
02-06-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm looking at a 9-3 right now, fit and finish on the interior is un real. However I'm not overly experienced with the sub.

t-im
02-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Saab..

I know a few with some older saabs (900, 9-3, 9000)...quite a few problems (according to them)..

and shitty resale..

rc2002
02-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Just make up your damn mind already.

I would go with neither. I'd take your IS300 over both of those. You should go with the BMW 330 or stick with your IS300.

RUQUIKR
02-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Keep in mind Saab's 9-3 engine made top ten.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112299&highlight=engines

iceburns288
02-06-2006, 05:28 PM
What's the price on these (relative, and with the options you want)

Vagabond142
02-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Saab = great fit and finish inside, good engine, but resale is bad (not a very solidly established name in North America) and there are the typical car problems... also, unless you get a all wheel drive option, it's front wheel drive

Subaru = unbelievable grip. Subaru has a catch-item and that's its all wheel drive system. Interior is a little blase, but still decent for what you pay. Subaru also has better resale and the usual car problems.

That's my opinion in a nutshell

Neil4Speed
02-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Interesting that you mentioned these two cars. I was thinking about both of these as well for purchase later on.

Saabs in my opinion are really really good looking cars, you make a statement when you drive a Saab that your very much different. Great car overall, but the depreciation will kill you. Also, if you want to hang onto the car for a while, the parts are often twice that of their german counterparts.

Subaru Legacy is a great car overall with AWD, Subaru has phenomenal quality and the new products are some of the best in reliabliity that the automotive industry has. I believe in the last JD Power ranking it came very close to lexus in problems per 100 cars.

Overall, I would pick the Subaru, if your leasing, then get the Saab.

ninspeed
02-06-2006, 10:52 PM
dude... this is an easy one... saab 9-2x... best of both mixed into one!
http://saab.gmcanada.com/ss/english/vehicles/saab/92x/92x_overview.jsp

bigboom
02-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by iceburns288
What's the price on these (relative, and with the options you want)

both cars are pretty much in the same price range for the options i want...with tax you are looking 40-45k...i love the look of the saab and the "cockpit" inside for the driver but i really love the way the subie handles...i hate fwd so you would think the choice would be obvious, but with saab's reax or 4 wheels teering system you dont notice the understeer as much. i might just need to flip a coin.

but you guys are right the resale on the saab will kill you if you dont plan on keeping the car for a long time. but i just havent been able to read much on the reliability of them...the girlfriend also loves the way the saab looks.

statick
02-07-2006, 08:11 AM
If I could afford the depreciation/maintenance on the Saab, I'd probably go for that...Otherwise the Subaru Legacy is still a very nice car.

Consider ninspeed's choice?

alloroc
02-07-2006, 08:56 AM
I bought a legacy this fall.

Beautiful car, top ranked in IIHS crash tests ( as is the SAAB 9-3), reliable what more can you want.

I would SERIOUSLY consider registering yoruself on consumerreports.org and comparing the quality rating of the two cars.

Anything that rates "much worse than average" is something to avoid, and nearly every SAAB (except the 9-2) seems to have a lousy reputation when it comes to body integrity and electrical.

As far as the 9-2 or the imprezza go I think I would prefer the Forester over those two, it shares the same driveline but at least you can put something in it. When we bought the Legacy we were originally looking at the Forester, but with the base model Legacy Wagon being the same price, having the same cargo capacity of the forester (because of the increased width), and the legacy was totally loaded with options as well as an improved ride, we wound up getting the base model Legacy. My only regret is that I didn't upgrade the stereo to include the subwoofer but that is all. I'll probably pick that up from the dealership this summer.

Sk8erlude
02-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Saab is a nice car but they have something like 30 body control modules that run things like headlights all the way to traction control. They do have electrical problems which can be a pain in the ass to diagnose because of the body control modules. The tech will need to go through a very complex diagostic flowchart. The Saab 9-3 is a nice looking car with some balls just to many thing can go wrong with the electrical system.
Saab is owned by GM and they do have a excellent tech line that is experienced to solve problems.
Good luck on your decision.

bigboom
02-07-2006, 12:56 PM
thanks for the input guys...i think im gonna go with my gut on this one and go for the legacy...after a coupel more test drives on each.

benyl
02-07-2006, 01:23 PM
The 9-3 is getting old. A replacement should be here sooner rather than later.

If you are going to get a Legacy, get the GT.

lastprodigy
02-07-2006, 02:31 PM
I dont see why you would get either over an IS300 :confused: