PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Forest Lawn

coujoe
02-06-2006, 05:22 PM
A lot of people warn me about moving to Forest Lawn, how bad could it be?

snowboard
02-06-2006, 05:24 PM
not that bad.
some people are just dirty there, no biggyyy.

also if you drive a type R you might want to have a garage haha

mac_82
02-06-2006, 05:25 PM
What area are you moving from?

I guess you will find out. Hope you got a garage for your itr.

joyridder
02-06-2006, 05:28 PM
No offence to anyone who lives there:

parts of it are fine, others I wouldn't even dare go into. I would say that you have to certainly be careful. The city has done a good job of cleaning up that area, but parts are still pretty bad. I would recommend that you move to another part of the city.....:dunno: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can I ask why you would even dare to venture there?

coujoe
02-06-2006, 05:54 PM
cheaper rent

Weapon_R
02-06-2006, 05:57 PM
I think its perfectly safe and normal to live in. The houses aren't nice, but it's definately not something you should worry too much about. Forest lawn is being redeveloped, and its very close to downtown.

Slashin_
02-06-2006, 06:02 PM
...one if calgarys worst comunites so watch your self
gettin better slowly but sure-ly

Toma
02-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Forrest Lawn rules!!!

You can have a dog without your neighbours constantly bitching. In fact they appreciate it.

You can have a louder car, and no one cares.

Guys paint cars in their garages, no one complains.

Food is 30% cheaper, there are at least 4 discount food places/markets in the area.

Everything you need is in walking distance.

You actually have a YARD most houses are still on 50 foot wide lots.

If there IS a crime, you have a much better chance of the bastards being caught.

FiveFreshFish
02-06-2006, 06:15 PM
The shitty parts of Forest Lawn are all that you hear people talk about. It's not all bad.

Originally posted by Toma

Back alleys too.

max_boost
02-06-2006, 06:29 PM
I lived there for almost 10 years and I don't think it was even that bad. Sure we had some idiot neighbours and our van got stolen from our garage once, but that stuff can happen in any neighbourhood. It's not the cleanest neighbourhood, a lot of poor people and pawnshops, XXX stores and Chinese food restaurants on every corner but some people make it sound like you can't walk around without getting mugged everyday. :rofl: :nut: :dunno: :zzz:

That said, I won't be moving back anytime soon though. :D

Toma
02-06-2006, 06:36 PM
LOL.... MANY years ago, my little brother (I think he was 14 at the time) got "mugged" for his fancy Nike's....

stevieo
02-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I never lived in forest lawn, but i went to school there. Its not as bad as people say, I'd have to occasionally walk through the area at night but its nothing to get worked up over (maybe because i grew up around there for about 16 years) it has the image/rep of a bad neighbourhood because (im not trying to stereotype..) but alot of poor people live there. its cheap rental housing..so what if some of us don't have money...haha

gotta defend the ghetttto

handsomebassman
02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
at least you dont have to walk far for hookers.

sweetchariot
02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Its Calgary man...compared to most major cities this place may be run down for Calgary, but would be a relatively middle class area if placed in the U.S. or Europe. Everywhere has crime etc, sure Forest Lawn is high - but only high for Calgary.

Go for it:thumbsup:

dj_rice
02-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Forrest Lawn rules!!!

You can have a dog without your neighbours constantly bitching. In fact they appreciate it.

You can have a louder car, and no one cares.

Guys paint cars in their garages, no one complains.

Food is 30% cheaper, there are at least 4 discount food places/markets in the area.

Everything you need is in walking distance.

If there IS a crime, you have a much better chance of the bastards being caught.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :werd:

This man knows what hes talking about...but for me personally, I've lived there all my life but would never walk on the street alone at night :cry:

Forest Lawn is bad...but Dover is worse

EK 2.0
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
I never lived in forest lawn, but i went to school there. Its not as bad as people say, I'd have to occasionally walk through the area at night but its nothing to get worked up over (maybe because i grew up around there for about 16 years) it has the image/rep of a bad neighbourhood because (im not trying to stereotype..) but alot of poor people live there. its cheap rental housing..so what if some of us don't have money...haha

gotta defend the ghetttto

There's a dress shop there that I absolutely adore...;)

Accord_tunerx
02-06-2006, 07:52 PM
ya! you are sooooooo dead:guns:
i waz just jokin, but good luck with that;)

hampstor
02-06-2006, 09:25 PM
are you moving into Forest Lawn itself or the general area? My parents still live in Raddison, but everyone calls it Forest lawn...

I probably lived in that area for 15 years. We had 1 drugbust in my neighborhood (nextdoor neighboor :eek: ), had my car spraypainted, and when I was younger my bike got stolen. Basically these things can happen in any neighborhood and I wouldn't be too overly worried living there again. I would say the "worst" part of it would have to be the part between 44th/52nd street, 17th avenue to the road that runs by Forest Lawn High. The houses there are probably the worst in the area.

It's cheap to live there, you're close to downtown, close to deerfoot, you're close to LRT and many ethnic shops as well as many large supermarkets. It's one of those neighborhoods with lots of schools too - IMHO part of the reason why there's lots of vandalizm.

Melinda
02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
I lived there when I was younger and my parents wouldn't let us play outside at all. No idea why, I dont really remember, but my parents were pretty careful about it. Dont have too many memories from there, we moved when I was 7, but I dont want to move back there. I dunno, the stigma there didn't feel like him to me. Rolland lived there for 15 years, he wouldn't go back either, but you'd probably have to ask him why personally, cause it's not something we've gone into in a lot of detail.

Xtrema
02-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I would sell te ITR and drive a beater. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Make sure you got enough insurance on it and pay attention who follows your ride home. It's like dangling a juicy steak in front of a pack of wolves.

And make sure you have a garage, kids love that red emblem on type-r.

Vietsta
02-06-2006, 11:25 PM
man i live there for all my life not a single thing has happen beside someone breaking into my house and stealing food????
haha
its not as bad as people say

Celica TVS3
02-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Forrest lawn is fine. It may, right now, be one of the worst areas in Calgary but that doesn't say much. It's not like you're moving into the worst area in Detroit or LA.

Lets be realistic, the area has a bad rap primarly because its low income. Its low income people consist of threetypes a) recent immigrants b)lower paid unskilled labour c)natives. If you can handle living in close proximity to those groups it's fine. Remember its not all low income, there are alot of seniors who have lived there since new and regular middle class families too.

I've never actually lived there but that's how i see it.

Ekliptix
02-06-2006, 11:45 PM
I was talking to a bum on the train who was afraid of it.

finboy
02-06-2006, 11:45 PM
no big deal really, i rented a garage there for a few months and had no issues, hell some of the neighbors were interested in what i was building and were quite nice.

just be smart about it, you have a nice car, garage it and get a lock on the bay door, and watch out for people following you to your garage (don't draw attention to yourself by driving ricer style or cranking your stereo).

stevieo
02-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

There's a dress shop there that I absolutely adore...;)

hell yeah! haha

I lived in radcliffe, growing up it wasn't so bad.

i remember staying out till like midnight during my jr high years playing outside my house and my friends house just having fun, never cause any trouble, other than 'loud' laughing from having such a great time with my friends.
i mean if it weren't for the 'ghetto' i probably wouldn't have the great friends i grew up with then. i've known my best friends since elementary.

and yes the dress shop on 17th ave se is off the hook. :angel:

coujoe
02-07-2006, 12:52 AM
does anyone have a garage for rent around there?

CIVIC_MAN
02-07-2006, 01:01 AM
hope you strapped gangsta'

samo147
02-07-2006, 01:28 AM
hahah
ppl scared of forest lawn..
its just like any other community..
you walk around 3 am on 17th ave SE theres no one there and theres barely any cars.. just like in any community
i dont know why people are afraid of going out after dark in forest lawn...

and i think there are some parts of dover that are pretty bad..
its too bad forest lawn will never lose its reputation of being a bad part of the city.

pros
close to everything
housing cheap

cons
bad rep
some bad areas

probably some others i cant think of right now

01RedDX
02-07-2006, 02:37 AM

DC2
02-07-2006, 02:57 AM
i also vote garaged car... other than that its not bad

Tyler883
02-07-2006, 10:07 AM
wtf is "mos def"?!?!?!??!

FatboyTheHungry
02-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883

Most Definitely

khtm
02-07-2006, 10:43 AM

http://www.insomniacmania.com/news/news_1965_1.jpg

dericer
02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by khtm

:rofl:

Forest lawn is fun, it's lower income so there are younger people around.

A lot of people into muscle cars in the area.

Best of all....cheapest gas in the city.

Trio Gas is around the corner and only 2 cents more for 92 over the price of regular.

Tyler883
02-07-2006, 04:52 PM

I still don't get it. Do you want to explain it for dumb white guys like myself?

l8braker
02-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by joyridder
No offence to anyone who lives there:

parts of it are fine, others I wouldn't even dare go into. I would say that you have to certainly be careful. The city has done a good job of cleaning up that area, but parts are still pretty bad. I would recommend that you move to another part of the city.....:dunno: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can I ask why you would even dare to venture there?

Yo, this ain't Compton here. Good luck on the move :thumbsup:

dericer
02-07-2006, 05:07 PM

I still don't get it. Do you want to explain it for dumb white guys like myself?

Mos Def is a British actor. (really good one too)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080049/

lastprodigy
02-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
My advice would be to bolt down any outdoor patio stuff you may have (lawn furniture, pools, etc) and mos def keep that car garaged.

bolt down a pool??? :nut: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl:

:nut:

t-im
02-07-2006, 05:34 PM

http://imdb.com/name/nm0080049/