PDA

View Full Version : Fernie

digi355
02-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Anyone been this year? How are the conditions? I am looking at going in a couple weeks. Anyone been there this year? Should I stay on the Hill? In the town? Where is the best party at night? Any opinions are appreciated.

pyro
02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
conditions right now are really good, tons of powder, im goin this weekend, im stayin in town since its really close to the hill anyways and alot cheaper. as for the party id like to know the same...whats the night life like?

Celica TVS3
02-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I have a condo in fernie so I stay there. But staying in town is cheaper than the hill and it's less than a 5 minute drive. Besides you'll be drinking in town and it will be easier to not have to drive back up to the hill.

There are four bars and they are all on/near mainstreet with a two block radius. The locals seem to travel as a group and go from one bar to another, the night your there just head downtown and see where everyone is. I should warn you that it's a little strange because everyone there knows eachother and you might feel out of place, although everyone is pretty friendly.

If your looking for a place in town check out Riverside Mountain Lodge. Reasonable prices, they have hot tubs and a waterslide ;)

Also there is a cab service "Kooteny Mountain Cabs" use it to get to and from the bar.

hockeybronx
02-07-2006, 12:23 AM
There are tons of deals going on at all the big resorts right now. I think Fernie was $119.00 for two days of skiing and one night accomodation. Apparently the conditions are amazing there right now, but Fernie is always typically known for consistantly solid conditions.

I don't know if you are set on Fernie, but Kimberly also has a deal for $99.00, it includes two days of skiing, one night accomodations, and a hot breakfast in the morning. I might head out there within the next month.

dance4life
02-08-2006, 01:58 PM
conditions (http://far.redtree.com/cgi-bin/far/index.py)

i was down this weekend. mainly wind blown powder. dense but soft. the wind kept it dry. no new snow in the last 24 but perhaps with this cold front that pushes through tonight will bring some precip. crowds were non existent. best snow is over far side of the either cedar or lizard bowls. coverage is excellent this year.
have fun!!

EnRich
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I went there this year... Great time... So let me get this straight, you get a hotel room, + lift tickets for 119???? Show me please... I'll go again for that!!! Awesome time for anyone whos thinking of going..

hockeybronx
02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
I went there this year... Great time... So let me get this straight, you get a hotel room, + lift tickets for 119???? Show me please... I'll go again for that!!! Awesome time for anyone whos thinking of going..

Check the top left corner of any front page of a section in the Calgary Herald. There's an add on everyone. I believe Fernies is $119.00 for two lift tickets and a night accomodation but check it out for yourself.

digi355
02-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks,

I got a pretty good deal. 2 nights 2 lift passes for 283 all in. You can go for 120 with one night and 2 days but who wants to drive after 2 days of riding?

hockeybronx
02-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by digi355
Thanks,

I got a pretty good deal. 2 nights 2 lift passes for 283 all in. You can go for 120 with one night and 2 days but who wants to drive after 2 days of riding?

I'm glad you are happy with it, but that doesn't sound like much of a deal for me. You are basically only getting one nights hotel for free.

I'd rather just suck it up and drive home on the second day, or switch off half and half driving with a friend. But if you aren't too concerned about money I'm sure you'll still have a good time :D

cycosis
02-12-2006, 02:35 PM
ws there jsut yesterday and the conditions are excellent, nice soft pack base everywhere

Ekliptix
02-12-2006, 02:36 PM
We found nice powder last weekend, a lot of windblown areas too though. I was in the backcountry btw.

cycosis
02-12-2006, 02:50 PM
agreed, by the later part of the afternoon there are alot fo windblown areas , mainly in the lizard bowl. jsut stick to hiking and the far left quad and your set. also, the aprk this year is pretty nice

digi355
02-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

I'm glad you are happy with it, but that doesn't sound like much of a deal for me. You are basically only getting one nights hotel for free.

I'd rather just suck it up and drive home on the second day, or switch off half and half driving with a friend. But if you aren't too concerned about money I'm sure you'll still have a good time :D

The cash isnt much of an issue. Its the only trip I am taking this year so 300 bucks wont put a big dent in the budget.