PDA

View Full Version : anyone know the closest US city?

rc2002
03-10-2003, 04:50 PM
I want to get some stuff shipped to a PO box in the states and drive down to pick it up. I've paid far too many duties and customs charges.

Anyone know of a place close to the border where I can do this?

Thanks

max_boost
03-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Some Montana Holding House
Ask buh_buh

James
03-10-2003, 04:52 PM
try a map! :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
03-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Will the amount you save in duty and customs charges make up for the gas, wear & tear on your car, and your time?

When crossing the border, you may have to declare the goods anyway. If you don't declare and get caught, they could confiscate, iirc.

rage2
03-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Confiscated, fined, etc. Not worth it. Of all agencies to cheat, Canada Customs and Revenue is NOT the one to cheat :D.

kenny
03-10-2003, 04:58 PM
If you use the holding house, you will MOST LIKELY get busted if you don't declare your stuff. The Customs people know about it. Ship via fedex and the chances of you paying duty will be reduced by a large margin.

buh_buh
03-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Babb Montana. That's where I get my stuff shipped to. If you want the address pm me.

CRXguy
03-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Get your stuff shipped by USPS or FedEx.

I bought a $400 part from a vendor in California. They wrote the value as "$100" and all I paid was $9.xx in fees. It's not worth the hassle driving down there.

buh_buh
03-10-2003, 05:08 PM
IMO its only worth it if your buying something HUGE and shipping is free anywhere in the states.

spyguy
03-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Get your stuff shipped by USPS or FedEx.

I bought a $400 part from a vendor in California. They wrote the value as "$100" and all I paid was $9.xx in fees. It's not worth the hassle driving down there.

just make sure if youre declaring something more than a couple hundred bucks that it's durable...if it damages....you insurance only covers the declared amount....

CRXguy
03-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by spyguy

just make sure if youre declaring something more than a couple hundred bucks that it's durable...if it damages....you insurance only covers the declared amount....

Very true. But I've yet to run into any problems with USPS and FedEx. :thumbsup:

UPS on the other hand....:thumbsdow

Ferio_vti
03-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Not to mention driving across the border right now isn't the best time to do it. Next thing you know, you're getting your car and ass thoroughly searched for bombs, drugs, terrorists, etc.

FiveFreshFish
03-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Not to mention driving across the border right now isn't the best time to do it. Next thing you know, you're getting your car and ass thoroughly searched for bombs, drugs, terrorists, etc.

:werd:
When they tear your car apart during a search, it's your responsibility to put it back together, even when they find nothing.

MistaBrent
03-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I want to get some stuff shipped to a PO box in the states and drive down to pick it up. I've paid far too many duties and customs charges.

Anyone know of a place close to the border where I can do this?

Thanks

SweetGrass montana.*where the border is*

If you want an actual city Great falls, 5 hour drive from calgary going speed limit.

Im in Vancouver im only 20min from the border :-P

benyl
03-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Just don't ship UPS!!!!

They will charge a $50 brokerage fee for a 5 dolla item! They are criminals!

USPS priority get shipped by purolator once it gets here. As other peeps said, fed ex is good.

The other thing I noticed when crossing the boarder... it is better if you are white. They let you go through. If you have any ethnicity, I can almost guarantee they will pull ya over.

Not being racist or anything... or not saying they are, I just noticed that everytime I've been in Sweet Grass.

Don't give'm and excuse to search your car and/or your orifices... not worth it in my opinion.

CLiVE
03-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Just get them to write "NCV" (No commercial value) on the box, or ask them to ship it as a "gift". Most companies will agree to do that for you.

-R

B18C
03-11-2003, 04:21 PM
USPS is good. They are very reasonable with brokerage fees.

cocoabrova
03-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Pick it up in Great Falls, have it installed and drive home....I've heard of that being done many times with rims and other bolt-on parts:dunno:

CRXguy
03-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
Pick it up in Great Falls, have it installed and drive home....I've heard of that being done many times with rims and other bolt-on parts:dunno:

What are you gonna say when they ask about the stock parts in your car? :dunno:

Ferio_vti
03-11-2003, 04:29 PM

What are you gonna say when they ask about the stock parts in your car? :dunno:

Drive down there with out the stock part... :dunno:

CRXguy
03-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Drive down there with out the stock part... :dunno:

Riiiiiight. :rolleyes:

cocoabrova
03-11-2003, 05:14 PM

What are you gonna say when they ask about the stock parts in your car? :dunno: You leave that shit there, no OHAWNA with friggin' stock parts:rofl:Or with wheels, you drive down with crappy steelies/crap tires and them leave 'em at the tire shop , so I've heard:devil::thumbsup:

CRXguy
03-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
You leave that shit there, no OHAWNA with friggin' stock parts:rofl:Or with wheels, you drive down with crappy steelies/crap tires and them leave 'em at the tire shop , so I've heard:devil::thumbsup:

I'm too poor to throw away useable parts like that!

cocoabrova
03-11-2003, 05:42 PM

I'm too poor to throw away useable parts like that! :rolleyes: poor+WRX= an oxyMORON:rofl: well like I said, that's why for wheels I'd use steelies and shiet tires. I've just HEARD of ppl leaving their factory stuff in place of bolt-ons.

Dr. Evil
03-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Why buy parts from the US? Fukem.

rc2002
03-13-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm getting rims and tires from the US, and I'll be paying about $1000usd. Anyone have any idea how much customs will charge me if I get them shipped?

Is it worth it to drive down to Great Falls Montana for them?

Thanks

ninjak84
03-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I'm getting rims and tires from the US, and I'll be paying about $1000usd. Anyone have any idea how much customs will charge me if I get them shipped?

Probably alot.
$1000 USD = $1600 CDN
After you're done paying for customs and shipping, I wouldn't be surprised if your total came to $2000.
Talk to someone in Calgary, and they could probably get you the exact same rims for a bit lower anyways.

method
03-13-2003, 09:02 PM
try your hardest to get something in Canada, or plead with them to send the item as a 'replacement' so there's no charge.

buh_buh
03-13-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Probably alot.
$1000 USD = $1600 CDN
After you're done paying for customs and shipping, I wouldn't be surprised if your total came to $2000.
Talk to someone in Calgary, and they could probably get you the exact same rims for a bit lower anyways. it won't be that much. When I bought my first set of wheels for my old car, I paid like $800, and when I crossed the border they only charged me GST which was like $90 or something.

Weapon_R
03-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
it won't be that much. When I bought my first set of wheels for my old car, I paid like $800, and when I crossed the border they only charged me GST which was like $90 or something.

That's if you drive them over.

My wheels costed about the same, but if you make a mock invoice off of an ebay website, chop it, and print it out to read something like $400US, your duty charges will be very small...I only paid $40 that way.

If its being shipped, be prepared to pay a lot more.