PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii

dance4life
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Looking for info on Hawaii. If anyone has any good experiences they'd like to share. Thinking about going for 10 days and would like to know which island is the best to visit.

Thanks.

rinny
02-08-2006, 04:57 PM
In 10 days, dont go to just one island. I'd say at the very least 2, maybe 3 if you have the cash. Oahu is pretty touristy, if it were my choice it'd be 1. Kauai 2. Maui

Millsie
02-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Got back from Big Island two weeks ago. Spent 14 amazing days these in Kona. We looked at them all and for the best rental prices combined with amazing snorleking/boogie boarding, we thought it was the best.

Big Island is just that, big, so there are more beaches per person, less tourist crap (you just rent a car and go yourself).
The only downside (if you consider one, I didn't, my wife did) is that the shopping is fairly limited.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents, though thats the only island I've been too.

jus_sum_guy
02-10-2006, 02:48 PM
If you have the money, take a cruise of all the islands. Ranges from 7 - 17 days

hockeybronx
02-10-2006, 06:35 PM
I've stayed on Molokai for 10 days, and Oahu for 3 days.

Molokai is called the most "Hawaiian" island because it hasn't been Americanized yet. It has two franchises (Subway, KFC) and one traffic light on the whole island. If you are looking for a totally laid back, secluded vacation where you are the only ones on the beach in any direction Molokai is for you. I absolutely love that island!

Oahu is total hustle bustle mayhem. I stayed down in Waikiki where the streets, beaches, hotels, and restaurants are absolutely packed. I still enjoyed my time there, but it didn't feel like Hawaii to me, it felt more like California. The beaches are nice though, and the hotels are pretty fancy as well, we stayed in one where we had a TV in the toilet stall, and on the bathroom counter as well.

Unfortunately I've only been to those two so I can't comment on any others, but I've heard Kuwaii is the most tropical, I would love to go there someday:(

stevieo
02-11-2006, 01:27 PM
pm finboy, the guy has been to hawaii quite the number of times already. he should be able to help you out greatly.

ronaldo
02-11-2006, 02:34 PM
waikiki is alot of fun...i spent 10 days there for a soccer tournament, awsome beaches and some really cool places to hang out..you should definately check out a luau(sp?) too

let me know if you want some more info on waikiki

herragge
02-12-2006, 01:48 AM
I stayed in Maui for a week and it was the best vaction I've been to in my life. I've been to Mexico, Dominican Republic numerous times. Shopping is fantastic, food is exquisite. Hitting up and traveling down Front Street is a must.

However despite this, it does use American currency obviously and has also been the most expensive trip I've been on. You can defintely blow alot of money anywhere in Hawaii.

The lava is cool, stalagmite touring watching and scuba are very cool things to do there.

Mike

Foz
02-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Went to Honolulu back in 1997. Very touristy and people everywhere you go.

Was fun, but if you want to go relax, I'd recommend not going there.

Felt like Honolulu was 90% Japanese and they were mostly tourists!

ca2p3r
02-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by herragge
I stayed in Maui for a week and it was the best vaction I've been to in my life. I've been to Mexico, Dominican Republic numerous times. Shopping is fantastic, food is exquisite. Hitting up and traveling down Front Street is a must.

However despite this, it does use American currency obviously and has also been the most expensive trip I've been on. You can defintely blow alot of money anywhere in Hawaii.

The lava is cool, stalagmite touring watching and scuba are very cool things to do there.

Mike

i agree i have travelled to many places, but maui was my fav!
AWESOME, but expensive!

3g4me
02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Been to oahu, its prety sweet, but like said before touristy. Heading to maui and kuai in 2 weeks, ill post my experience and some pics when i get back.

hockeybronx
02-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Foz
Felt like Honolulu was 90% Japanese and they were mostly tourists!

Yeah... it be safe to say a large population of Japanese people can be found on the Hawaiian Islands.

3g4me
02-16-2006, 10:13 AM
^ which i think is odd considering...

andres_mt
02-16-2006, 02:43 PM
If you like good night life, stay in the Waikiki district of Honolulu. I went there about two years ago and I thought that the nightlife in Honolulu was amazing There's a lot to do especially if your over 21. Depends on what you wanna do when your there though (i.e. relax, adventure, site-seeing, etc.)
Oh ya be sure to check out the polynesian cultural center on the north part of the main island.
Regardless you'll love it there no matter what you do :thumbsup:

dance4life
02-16-2006, 03:21 PM
thanks for the info peeps!

blizare
02-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Just got back from Oahu last week after 3 weeks of relaxation :)

I suggest Oahu only cause it's the only Island I've been to and I enjoyed it a lot.

Personally, I didn't mind a little hustle and bustle because I'm young. I wanted to goto clubs and the huge indoor/outdoor mall. (Ala Moana in Waikiki of highway 92)

I also went snokeling at Huanama Bay. That was amazing. Also took a whale watching cruise From Dock 8 at the Aloha Tower. That was fun too.

And yes, Oahu is pretty much 50% Japanese and the rest is locals and tourists :P

I stayed at my parents friends Condo in a town called Makaha. It's pretty out of the way in the west end of the island but it was nice and I wouldn't stay in Waikiki if I ever go back. It was like Cali for sure. Just packed beaches and packed stores.

Again, the beach is something else. We rented a Convertable and cruised the whole Island. You'll want to check out Pali Lookout for sure. It's on the H3 heading up to the North Shore. Also, driving down the north shore you'll pass numerous beaches. ie: Sunset beach, Banzai Pipleine, Turtle Bay resort Golf course :)

When I was there they had a bodyboarding comp going on with 30ft waves. It's quite a sight to see and hear the ocean spitting water in the air like that :)

I'm tryig to think of the hotel but I was walking through one in Waikiki and theres the biggest effin indoor fishtank at this restaurant with huge manta rays and gorgeous fish :)

So all in all, check out

1. Huanama Bay
2. Ala Moana Mall
3. North Shore
4. Waikiki Beach
5. Whale watching
6. Diamond Head
7. The beach (lots to choose from)
8. Pali Lookout
9. Any golf course :)
10. Polynesian Cultural Centre

And if anyone gives you the "Hang loose" sign, do it back. If you didn't that'd be like you saying "Hi" to me and me ignoring you.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to help :)

EDIT: Beer is damn cheap. 24 coronas for $22 USD and smokes are cheap too. Camel 2for1 $5.45 for 2 packs :)

I drank and smoked a lot there BTW :nut: