PDA

View Full Version : Which DVD Format Will Become Standard?

ICEBERG
02-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Does this ring a bell? VHS vs Beta.:D

handsomebassman
02-08-2006, 03:20 PM
lol, yea, but i still think this will be a different story. My bet is on BlueRay.

hampstor
02-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Neither! they're both from stubborn camps who have put way too much money into it to give up. We'll end up with multi-format drives (just like the DVD + / - ).

HyperZell
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM
It's sad that this is even an issue at all, but with things like this (http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/08/sony_pictures_sets_bd_wholesale_prices/) happening, I think Blu-Ray is gonna come out on top. Still consumers are gonna be pissed, especially the ones who pick up the wrong format.

ICEBERG
02-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I hope Blue Ray too. I am holding off getting a upconverting DVD player at the moment.

My 2 year old just busted my DENON DVD 2200. :( So i am going to wait and see what is coming out before i replace my Denon. Ohh Well, for now back to using my Old Progressive scan Dvd player on my Sony HDTV. Kids with electronics, they have to touch everything. :drama:

HyperZell
02-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
I hope Blue Ray too. I am holding off getting a upconverting DVD player at the moment.

My 2 year old just busted my DENON DVD 2200. :( So i am going to wait and see what is coming out before i replace my Denon. Ohh Well, for now back to using my Old Progressive scan Dvd player on my Sony HDTV. Kids with electronics, they have to touch everything. :drama:

Where'd you get a Denon from? I'm into getting an upconverting DVD player too, but really it seems that it's hard to get a good one up here. I've read reviews on Tom's Hardware, so I know which chip to look out for, and I think the Denon's are pretty highly recommended.

ICEBERG
02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Where'd you get a Denon from? I'm into getting an upconverting DVD player too, but really it seems that it's hard to get a good one up here. I've read reviews on Tom's Hardware, so I know which chip to look out for, and I think the Denon's are pretty highly recommended.

I actually bought the Denon DVD2200 while back from Ecost.com I think when i got it i paid $400 for it. They had a blow out sale on it. It was a refurb. Model but Looked brand new and worked like a charm for a long time before my 2 year old got her hands on it.

A&B sound sells Denon also here in town. My reciever is an Denon AVR 3805 Which i bought here at A&B sound couple years ago.

I heard OPPO makes one of the best upconverting DVD Player at the moment. It got the highest marks in reviews. Try www.oppodigital.com

heavyD
02-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Blue Ray will win if the PS3 sells like PS2's which is debateable due the high expected cost of the PS3. While I'm sure the PS3 will sell out initially, once people find out that PS3 games look no better than 360 games they may opt for the cheaper 360 which will probably have a price drop once the PS3 is released and be several hundreds of $$ cheaper.

Pee_Sack
02-08-2006, 04:29 PM
^^along with that Halo 3 is being released on the same day as PS3

I am thinking Blue Ray just because they can store SOO much more data

ICEBERG
02-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack

I am thinking Blue Ray just because they can store SOO much more data

I think Blue-ray can hold 50GB of data on it. Double sided HD DVD has only 30GB of data. Some one can correct me if i am wrong on this.

saiyajin
02-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

I think Blue-ray can hold 50GB of data on it. Double sided HD DVD has only 30GB of data. Some one can correct me if i am wrong on this.

""So How Much Data Does a Blu-ray Disc Hold?
A BD-ROM can hold 25GB per layer, compared to roughly 700MB for a CD and 4.7GB for a DVD. While a DVD may have up to two layers, totaling 9.4GB of storage on a one-sided disc, a Blu-ray disc is capable of more than two. How many? We're unaware of the theoretical max at this point, but four and eight layer discs are in production.

So a single-layer disc can hold 25GB, a dual-layer disc 50GB, a four-layer 100GB and an eight-layer 200GB. We'll almost certainly be seeing only single and dual-layer discs for some time in normal use, but the fact that the discs can essentially "scale" is what makes the 10 to 15 year intended life-cycle seem possible.""

ICEBERG
02-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

""So How Much Data Does a Blu-ray Disc Hold?

From what i heard a double sided Blue-ray disc can hold 100GB of Data in a lab. Again i am not too sure about the facts.

Xtrema
02-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Blu-ray got a chance if Sony decided to move ahead and release movies in all 3 formats (DVD, BD, UMD) for the price of 1 DVD movie.

But neither format will be mainstream for at least another year, when the price became affordable. So who knows.

soupey
02-08-2006, 05:53 PM
soo im assuming that these next gen dvd's will not read at all on regular dvd players?...or will the first two layers or whatever still be functional to regular dvd players...and teh blueray/hd dvd extra layers will kick in if u have a compatible player?

ICEBERG
02-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by soupey
soo im assuming that these next gen dvd's will not read at all on regular dvd players

No. You can not even play these on your Upconverting DVD player. But i think they are backwards compatable. You should be able to play your old DVD collection of movies on these new HD DVD player.

dragonone
02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
i don't think it's wise to release a movie in all three formats
if i only had a psp, you have a dvd player, and someone had a ps3, we'd b splitting one movie for 25 bux, and they just lost out on 2 potential buyers
sure it's gd news for us, but from their perspective i don't think it's a go ahead

i can see a HD-dvd and a BR drive in my future comp already
and since i'm ps fanboy my vote goes to BR