PDA

View Full Version : Need help with minivan selection

tracynoelle23
02-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Okay so we've decided to get a minivan but only have 10 grand to spend on it. I've gotten the lemon-aid guide and it seems that only new ones or import ones are worth getting.

Our car is too small and an SUV would be too small too.

I've test driven a Pontiac Montana which seemed good although 173,000km. After I got home and surfed the net I see there are a LOT of problems with this minivan.

So....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BerserkerCatSplat
02-10-2006, 11:28 PM
This might sound a bit atypical, but have you considered a station wagon? They have lots of seating room, (albeit not as much as a van) carrying capacity, and they're good on gas. Volvo estates (er, station wagons) are quite nice and very safe. And you won't have to be seen in a minivan. ;)

tracynoelle23
02-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but it falls into the same category of an SUV for us....just not enough room. With 2 carseats in the backseat there is not enough room for a 3rd adult to travel with us. And I'm getting old so the fear of being seen in a minivan is long gone ;)

asifka
02-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by tracynoelle23
it seems that only new ones or import ones are worth getting.

but then prices are twice compare to domestic..
we owned both Caravan and venture long time ago..
I recommend Chevy venture overall.

benyl
02-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Caravans will leak oil after about 100,000 km. Honda Oddyssey's have problems with their transmissions. You read up on the problems of the GM minivans. Ford Windstars (what is in your price range) have even more problems.

You might want to consider leasing a new one. It will cost you the same over 3-4 years with less headaches.

My mom has gotten 3 caravan thus far and will be getting her 4th next year. The first one was good. The second had some issues. This third one had problems with the power doors. I am guessing the 4th one will be more of the same.

You might want to look at a full size van or may be a Chevy Astro or GMC safari.

tracynoelle23
02-10-2006, 11:55 PM
An interesting idea....my 'plan' is to make the minivan last for at least 5 years :burnout:

xrayvsn
02-11-2006, 12:32 AM
How do the Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest stack up on the Lemon Aid guides? They are pretty much the same thing, but the Mercury might be a little cheaper. You may be able to find some of these near your price point, though I imagine the milage might be getting up there, as these are a few years older now.

Have you looked into the Mazda 5? It is smaller than a minivan, but still has the 3rd row seats. Unfortunately, you won't likely find any used, and they are $25,000 or so new. Also, the max leasing term is 4 years, which is a year short for your plans.

From my own experience, I also got over the mini-van stigma. My wife and I lease a 2003 MPV, which has been reliable up to this point. I may look into the Mazda 5 myself when the lease term is up, as it is available with a manual transmission.

Godfuader
02-11-2006, 12:33 AM
The last body style (98-03) Toyota Sienna:dunno: . Parents have one, no major issues.

barmanjay
02-11-2006, 12:45 AM
I'd say toyota ______ (the egg shaped one)

My buddy (runs the service department) who works for lexus in Van bought one of these (used), replaced all the wear and tear parts and it's been a dialy driver for years now without troubles

He's told me in the past he'd never buy a sienna, he'd get another _______

I have a 93 grand voyager,.. 300,000 kms with the origional motor and tranny, no rebuild *crosses fingers and knocks wood*, with the 3.3 and not the mitsu 3.0 (those motors are horrible min-van motors)

yes the caravans are prone to tranny probs, mine has over the last year slowly started, about 1 litre every 5-6 weeks now.

*EDIT*

I forgot the name of that toyota mini-van!!!!

Edit again

Toyota Previa

the_ace
02-11-2006, 12:52 AM
oldsmobile is like upscale venture,
but usually GM ventures and montanas
and shillouttes are real good buys.

oldsmobile does come with goodies so u get a good deal.

Best on gas in their class.

Goblin
02-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Caravans will leak oil after about 100,000 km. Honda Oddyssey's have problems with their transmissions. You read up on the problems of the GM minivans. Ford Windstars (what is in your price range) have even more problems.

You might want to consider leasing a new one. It will cost you the same over 3-4 years with less headaches.

My mom has gotten 3 caravan thus far and will be getting her 4th next year. The first one was good. The second had some issues. This third one had problems with the power doors. I am guessing the 4th one will be more of the same.

You might want to look at a full size van or may be a Chevy Astro or GMC safari.

My parents have a safari, and so far, its done really really well. Can't compain at all. 98 Safari fully loaded, so its nice inside, tones of room, no engine issues nor tanny. 110K kilometers

Godfuader
02-11-2006, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
I'd say toyota ______ (the egg shaped one)

My buddy (runs the service department) who works for lexus in Van bought one of these (used), replaced all the wear and tear parts and it's been a dialy driver for years now without troubles

He's told me in the past he'd never buy a sienna, he'd get another _______

I have a 93 grand voyager,.. 300,000 kms with the origional motor and tranny, no rebuild *crosses fingers and knocks wood*, with the 3.3 and not the mitsu 3.0 (those motors are horrible min-van motors)

yes the caravans are prone to tranny probs, mine has over the last year slowly started, about 1 litre every 5-6 weeks now.

*EDIT*

I forgot the name of that toyota mini-van!!!!

Edit again

Toyota Previa

Previa's are a great minivan, but difficult to find one in rust-free condition. I work for Toyota right now and all the techs say that the 98-03 Sienna are very reliable and readily available:dunno: . Domestic minivans from the late 80s and early 90s are the ultimate in reliability.

3G
02-11-2006, 05:18 AM
I've test driven a Pontiac Montana which seemed good although 173,000km. After I got home and surfed the net I see there are a LOT of problems with this minivan.

We've had a 1997 Montana and a 99 Venture both had Head gasket problems

Originally posted by asifka

but then prices are twice compare to domestic..
we owned both Caravan and venture long time ago..
I recommend Chevy venture overall.

Caravan > Venture

Caravans are said to have tranny problems, but we've had 10s of them, 1 of every year and no problems with them whatsoever, our 1994 leaked oil but that was it. My cousin has a 2002ish MPV, his tranny hit the shitter, Hondas are said to have tranny issues, the Montana/Ventures 3.4L has headgasket problems, Ford Windstar? Need I say more? Buy a Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager you wont look back :D

Fez_turbo
02-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Definately a toyota sienna. As i was searching the used vehicle deparment at toyota i saw a excellent condition toyota sienna and i think it was 11g's. If thats to high, HAGGLE WITH THEM.

Or the toyota previa but i dont have any experience with those.

My opinion is to stay with imports, Toyota or Honda. but better toyota.

tracynoelle23
02-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Was it a used toyota department in Calgary??

ninspeed
02-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 3G

, the Montana/Ventures 3.8L has headgasket problems,
the M vans dont come with the 3.8l They come with the 3.4.
The biggest problem is not head gaskets.. i dont know why everybody gets the head gasket confused with the intake gasket. its not a hard fix, nor too hard on the wallet (under 1000$).. and once the new style head gasket is on, you have a small chance of having to do the job again (updated install procudure). Other than the Intake Gaskets, the 3.4 is a strong motor, and very fuel efficent. You will have to put up with the usual gm squeaks and rattles from the inside (minor). The price of the M vans droped big time in 05 when GM dumped a bunch on the market for cost, bring used prices down. You can probally find an 02-03 lease back for around your price range, mabey even one with dvd for the kids (trust me on this one, the kids will actually sit and watch a show all the way to edmonton before they even know they left calgary)

tracynoelle23
02-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Hmmm the only Montana in our price range was a 2000 model....so if someone has already put on new intake gaskets then it should be good? I had no idea that picking a minivan would cause so many headaches :confused:

charizard
02-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Everyone always bad mouths caravans, but we've had 2 Dodge Caravan's for the last 7 year, and havent had any major problems with either of them. Might wanna check out some used caravans, a 99-01 caravan will probably fall into ur price range and I have found them to be quite reliable.

3G
02-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed

the M vans dont come with the 3.8l They come with the 3.4.
The biggest problem is not head gaskets.. i dont know why everybody gets the head gasket confused with the intake gasket. its not a hard fix, nor too hard on the wallet (under 1000$).. and once the new style head gasket is on, you have a small chance of having to do the job again (updated install procudure). Other than the Intake Gaskets, the 3.4 is a strong motor, and very fuel efficent. You will have to put up with the usual gm squeaks and rattles from the inside (minor). The price of the M vans droped big time in 05 when GM dumped a bunch on the market for cost, bring used prices down. You can probally find an 02-03 lease back for around your price range, mabey even one with dvd for the kids (trust me on this one, the kids will actually sit and watch a show all the way to edmonton before they even know they left calgary)

my bad it is the 3.4L, both of ours had HG problems

barmanjay
02-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes the most common prob with 3400 motor by GM is the LIM - Lower Intake Manifold Gasket, on the 2000+ models. Other than that,.. it's a very durble motor.

If you find one that has had this done, I'd scoop it up, the motor will last you a long time.

that motor is a 60*v6 which GM has been using since the early 80's and has refined.

Very durable pushrod motor.

tracynoelle23
02-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Even though it's got 173,000km on it?

Sharpie
02-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Two words buy warranty..

tracynoelle23
02-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Do all dealerships offer warranties on used vehicles?

barmanjay
02-12-2006, 02:12 AM

As long as it had the LIM gasket changed,. I think you'll be good to go.

Most of those 60*v6's will go well into the 300k range before any signs of serious wear.
My car has about 250 and I beat the crap out of it,.. chews about a litre of oil every 3-4 months, it has a 60*v6

Most used car dealerships will offer at least a 3-6 months/20k warranty for used vehicles, may cost you and extra $500 or so, and it would be for motor and drivetrain only.

I bought mine with 200k on it, so far, just the standard brakes and regular fluid changes, and had the Throttlebody serviced.

I use it for work and blew out my cv axles (damn gravel roads)

Anyways,...

With it being so close to 200k,.. keep in mind the value of it will significantly decrease as soon as you hit 200k, so if you buy it,.. be prepared to keep it till it completely dies or rusts apart, because it won't be worth anything, like mine is now.

Paid 13k for it years ago,.. now I'd be lucky to get 1300.

If are serious and do get it,.. drive it nice, and Religiously do oil and tranny fluid changes, as one should do with every vehicle

oil every 3-6k
tranny flush, minimum once a year.

If there is a service history for it - bonus!!! then you can see how often it was maintained.

dino_martini
02-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Toyota Sienna. Sat in one at the dealer..such a nice van. Honda Odessy is pretty nice, Nissan Quest. Some really nice vans out there.

Xtrema
02-12-2006, 11:13 AM
I've heard timing belt change of a Caravan is killer expensive. So make sure you don't need one soon if you're buying used.

BigBadVlad
02-13-2006, 01:33 PM
When I was researching minivans I came across older Caravans and Windstars had lots of problems with their transmissions. Something to do with a "spider" gear I think. I'm not sure but I think these were the early to mid 90's models. I know of one person who had one and it cost them 2 or 3 thousand to fix. We opted to lease a new 2004 Anniversary edition when the had 0% financing rates.

Have you considered maybe leasing or assuming someone's lease if possible? I don't know if there are any available but should be at least a few around anyways.