PDA

View Full Version : Reliability?

Phy
02-11-2006, 04:10 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before. I'm asking again. I'm in the position to start looking for a new or slightly used car in the next 4-5 months, and what I want is something that A. will not give me the gears on repair for a very long time, B. Is between 10 and 23k $CAD, C. drives stick, and D. Isn't gonna tune me for insurance because dumbass 16-year-olds go out and buy one and crash it three weeks later. I've been thinking small Toyota so far. I'd include Honda but I'm not a fan of Civic Rust. Suggestions?

A790
02-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Look into Mazda3... right in your price range.

Zero102
02-11-2006, 12:04 PM
A790's right, a Mazda 3 would be a good choice given that criteria, and since it's new with a warranty (and Mazda's warranty is pretty decent) you're off the hook for everything but scheduled maintenance for the next few years.

If you don't mind domestics, a Chevy Cobalt or Pontial Pursuit would also be a good choice.

Honestly if you want the best reliability, or at least the smallest repair bills, you can't beat buying new. Since most new cars in your price range are going to be 'economy cars', they won't nail you as bad on the insurance.

Another thing to consider, perhaps near the top of your price range, is perhaps a Golf or Jetta. Build quality is miles ahead of the Pursuit or Cobalt, but the price is much higher too (going to be near your top end of $23k).

I suppose if you like the Smart, it's also well within your price range, but it doesn't come with a real manual transmission, it's one of those sequential (I believe clutch-less) manual transmissions.

Phy
02-12-2006, 02:37 AM
The Golf/Jetta... I'm still thinking I'd prefer Japanese. Call me biased. American's right out for me, I just don't trust it farther than I can throw it.

The Smart... I really dig the car, but I don't think I'm prepared to make it my primary/winter driver.

As for the Mazda3, I know I've been seeing these puppies around a lot lately, and I do like the 30's-inspired lines. That said, I also know I've heard my share of complaints about Mazda products. Ultimately, what I want when I say "reliability" is something that's gonna last me a good 8-12 years, without giving me the gears like certain Nissans and Ford-bodied Mazdas have. My next car is gonna be a Life Decision, rather than a What Doesn't Suck Too Much, Given My Budget Decision.

Zero102
02-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Well if you want 8-12 years, I wouldn't put my money on any new car. At least not to get you 12 years of trouble-free driving. For that matter, I wouldn't put my money on any old car.

The Smart is neat, but I'd be worried about heat in the winter.
I know a lot of people that prefer japanese cars, so no big deal there. I'm hooked on German cars, but that's just me.

Best bet would be a new car, because at least you get a warranty with it, other than that I'd just say hit up all of the major manufacturer's web sites and check out the pricing and styling of them all.

As far as the domestics go, between the styling and reliability I was pretty sure you wouldn't be interested, but I thought I would mention it anyways.

gp36912
02-12-2006, 01:01 PM
just go pick up a nice new corolla :P reliable and won't kill you on insurance.

gp36912
02-12-2006, 01:03 PM
o and i have a 01 corolla :P only thing that ive had done on it was a tie rod end (wasn't wear though, my mom slid the car on ice and hit the curb) other than that just regular maintinance like oil change and tires. bout it