PDA

View Full Version : What to buy? SUV or car?

topher91
02-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey guys,

Just need some opinions of some cars. Me and my GF were looking to buy a newer vehicle and we have come across some cars that we would like to check out.

2001+ Ford Escape XLT (4x4 or not)
Saturn Vue
Rav4's
CRV's

Or

1997+ Audi A4 1.8T

Anything from her car now would be an upgrade but what do you guys recommend?? We wanted something a little bigger then her current 92 Civic Hatchback hence the SUV's but the price and power of an Audi we couldn't look away from either.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the cars above?? If we go testdrive, should I be looking for anything in particular??

Thanks for any help guys!!!

Chris

mshaw
02-11-2006, 11:25 AM
man i would no question go with the audi. i dont even see there being a comparison really

hash
02-11-2006, 11:33 AM
The audi might be more high-maintenance, and they aren't exactly cheap to fix either. However, an A4 with quattro would be way nicer in the snow than those SUVs (unless of course its really deep snow... but for that you'd want a full-size SUV anyways).

Also, I would stay away from the Ford escape. I was reading a consumer reports article online, and it got voted as the worst lemon out of all vehicle categories combined.

Howl
02-11-2006, 11:34 AM
that audi will cost you a shit load compared to the others in running costs.. but you can't really compare them to an suv. If i was to go with one of the suv's you listed, i would go for the crv for sure

topher91
02-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by hash
Also, I would stay away from the Ford escape. I was reading a consumer reports article online, and it got voted as the worst lemon out of all vehicle categories combined.

Really?? Ouch.... well I guess I will scratch that off the list then....

If the Audi costs lots to fix/maintain, what are the common problems associated with the Audi or what should I be looking for as for major repairs/maintanence that should already have been done. The one I saw online had about 140k kms.

What about the Saturn VUE?? Looks like a great car but what about mantanence for that?

Thanks,

Chris

Fez_turbo
02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Rav 4 is a great car. and the new model out should fit your need for space easily. Great power, mileage and styling. Plus it will last you longer.

you can also find previous models for about 15g. (2001-2003)
and they are still amazing suv's. Nice and sporty

Howl
02-11-2006, 01:29 PM
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2256/Act/usedcarreviewreliability/
Audi a4 generally don't tend to be the most reliable cars, plus parts are very expensive.... If you are not an audi enthusiast, i wouldn't suggest buying

andres_mt
02-11-2006, 01:33 PM
get the 1.8T :thumbsup:

HRD2PLZ
02-12-2006, 09:25 AM
The '06 Rav4 is redesigned and is the perfect all-around urban SUV. You can get the peppy 166hp 4cyl (available now) or wait until end of Feb. for the 269hp V6. I drove a 4cyl on Saturday and was thoroughly impressed. The materials quality is so much greater than what I had expected. The Rav4 has more interior passenger room (front and rear seats) than that of a Highlander! Its definitely a fun "little" package well worth checking out :thumbsup:

Xtrema
02-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Stay away from the 1.8T unless it's your 2nd car. It will be in the shop from time to time and far from reliable. 2.8 would be slightly better.

CRV is great if you can get over it's styling.

pre-06 RAV4 is a bit low on power but still a nice little car. 06 RAV4 is AWESOME and has all the room you need but looking at the list, it may be out of your price range.

Won't touch Escape with a 10ft pole

Vue, I have no experience with. But some of them are equipped with Honda's V6 from the Accord so at least that gives a bit of peace of mind.

takumi25
02-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Test drive a Jeep Liberty! :thumbsup:

Godfuader
02-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
The '06 Rav4 is redesigned and is the perfect all-around urban SUV. You can get the peppy 166hp 4cyl (available now) or wait until end of Feb. for the 269hp V6. I drove a 4cyl on Saturday and was thoroughly impressed. The materials quality is so much greater than what I had expected. The Rav4 has more interior passenger room (front and rear seats) than that of a Highlander! Its definitely a fun "little" package well worth checking out :thumbsup:

:werd: The new rav is great. you have 4cyl option and the V6 269hp with fold-away 3rd row. Good for winter, families, everyday use, and actual decent looks compared to a CRV. Oh, and country hills toyota has the promotion with their new cars: *Free oil changes for life. The previous gen. Rav4 (pre06) is an amazing deal with the best looking mini-ute ever. I bought my girlfriend one in Dec. 04 and she absolutely loves it.:thumbsup:

69cougar
02-12-2006, 09:59 AM
2003 VUE and up V6 is Honda same as in the MDX.

Audi like everyone said is exspensive to maintain and repair I would not buy one personally.

SUVs I am bias to domestic. They have been making them longer than imports and the costs to maintain are lower.

Ford Explorers are not that bad. Consumer Reports are pretty bias. they gave the new F-150 a poor long term reliability when it 1st arrived. Hoe the fuck did they know that (Crystal ball?)

Jeep Grand Cherokees (97, 98, 00, 01, 02, 03) are very good.

lastprodigy
02-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

:werd: The new rav is great. you have 4cyl option and the V6 296hp with fold-away 3rd row. Good for winter, families, everyday use, and actual decent looks compared to a CRV. Oh, and country hills toyota has the promotion with their new cars: *Free oil changes for life. The previous gen. Rav4 (pre06) is an amazing deal with the best looking mini-ute ever. I bought my girlfriend one in Dec. 04 and she absolutely loves it.:thumbsup:

They made it that much bigger ? :eek:

Originally posted by 69cougar

No its the detuned version found in the 99-01 Odyssey as well, same engine yes but the MDX has 265 ps and the VUE 210...ps sorry for nitpicking

:nut:

topher91
02-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by takumi25
Test drive a Jeep Liberty! :thumbsup:

Actually I was thinking about that.... only thing is price that concerns me with such a newer vehicle but I've always liked the looks of them. Pretty agressive looking but still not to rugged. What are they going for used at the "stealerships"?

Originally posted by 69cougar

SUVs I am bias to domestic. They have been making them longer than imports and the costs to maintain are lower.

Ford Explorers are not that bad. Consumer Reports are pretty bias. they gave the new F-150 a poor long term reliability when it 1st arrived. Hoe the fuck did they know that (Crystal ball?)

Jeep Grand Cherokees (97, 98, 00, 01, 02, 03) are very good.

So some VUE's share the v6 from honda ?? That's great!! I havn't actually looked at some used car pricing for these cars either and we kinda wanted a 4 banger as its better on gas but it all depends on price in the end.

Cherokees look great too but they are too big for my GF's taste and she doesn't want it so that's off the list. Same with the explorer. Her friend had an explorer and had a shitload of problems so she refuses to get one too!!

Thanks guys, this is super helpful!!

Chris

Godfuader
02-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

They made it that much bigger ? :eek:

Sorry, should read 269hp. so:

4cyl= 166hp/165tq
6cyl= 269hp/246tq
^^0-60:6.7sec :eek:
http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/7/wo/Home.Vehicles.Rav4-J3hYdpsMY21somCbFsgAWM/11.15?v121015e%2ehtml#

topher91
02-12-2006, 10:23 AM
What are the monthly payments looking like for the new 4cyl Rav's w/o $$ down?? Just want A/C all pwer options and keyless entry!!

Chris

Godfuader
02-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by topher91
What are the monthly payments looking like for the new 4cyl Rav's w/o $$ down?? Just want A/C all pwer options and keyless entry!!

Chris
You can do a complete quote onilne:
Access Toyota (http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/7/wo/Home.Vehicles.Configurator-J3hYdpsMY21somCbFsgAWM/31.13?page=CfgStep2Frame,taxesin=false,owned=true,tccirate=true,native=false,graduate=false,vehicle=RAV4)

MrPid
02-12-2006, 11:01 AM
If you're lookin at RAVs and Escapes I have heard tons of negatives about the hybrid versions of them - a definite stay away.

I've also heard the Liberty is a better vehicle with the Diesel...

gp36912
02-12-2006, 11:14 AM
i'd go with the rav4 or the crv though i'd rather have a liberty myself :P i'm biased for the jap and german cars though :D i'd stay away from that ford, though the explorer or the 4runner are better choices :P

yohan4ws
02-12-2006, 11:15 AM
The best of both worlds.

Get an oldsmobile station wagon!

Invite Seth, Eric, Hyde and Kelso out rollerskating.

make sure its green.

Vista Cruiser baby!

gp36912
02-12-2006, 11:19 AM
^^^^^ ahahahaha

topher91
02-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by yohan4ws
The best of both worlds.

Get an oldsmobile station wagon!

Invite Seth, Eric, Hyde and Kelso out rollerskating.

make sure its green.

Vista Cruiser baby!

I wanted a station wagon (protege 5) but GF says its to grandpa-ish..... :dunno: Or a Volvo.

Chris

iceburns288
02-12-2006, 01:07 PM
What exactly are you lookin for, man? Just sayin there are probably a lot more cars that fit your bill other than an Audi A4. Tell us what you want in the car/truck.

Weapon_R
02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
The Rav is probably the most reliable out of the list, but its such a girly vehicle. If you must get AWD, i'd personally go for the CRV, even though its not very pretty.

joegrang
02-12-2006, 01:31 PM
What about the wrx?

topher91
02-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
What exactly are you lookin for, man? Just sayin there are probably a lot more cars that fit your bill other than an Audi A4. Tell us what you want in the car/truck.

Well basically:

More room then a Civic
Good on gas
Smaller then a full sized SUV
reliable or cheap to fix but realiable is better then cheap fixer
Automatic
Not to agressive looking (as its for a girl)
And less then 300 bux/month if financed and cheap on insurance.

I only mentioned those cars in my first post as we saw them listed on the flyers that the dealerships sent out in the papers.

Thanks,

Chris

max_boost
02-12-2006, 03:08 PM
A really good car is the new Subaru Impreza.

AWD
2.5L 173hp @ 6000RPMS 166 lb-ft torque @ 4,400 rpm.

Redesigned, absolutely love the new headlights.

$23,500 MSRP (bargain)

3.8% financing up to 60 months.
3.8% leasing up to 48 months.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/overviews/2006/subaru/images/06impreza_1.jpg

max_boost
02-12-2006, 03:11 PM
What's your budget? My sister drives 01 IMpreza, my dad drives a 03 Forester and aside from maintenance work (fluid changes, brake pads, tires) it has had zero problems. They have been so impressed they plan to buy another one.

Godfuader
02-12-2006, 03:12 PM
less than $300 for a new is impossible. unless you get a used one with 0%apr, and then on a 60mth term you would have $18,000 which could get you a 2001 Rav4.

gp36912
02-12-2006, 05:14 PM
the thing is, when you buy a car with 0% apr alot of the interest in already calculated inside the cost of the car.

topher91
02-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
less than $300 for a new is impossible. unless you get a used one with 0%apr, and then on a 60mth term you would have $18,000 which could get you a 2001 Rav4.

Oh I didn't expect to pay 300/mth finance on a new vehicle, no way!! We wanna buy used if anything.

Impreza would be sweet cept she doesn't like the wagon and then the sedan isn't much bigger then her current car and she couldn't afford it. :)

Budget wise.... around 300/mth. We're not going to buy it out right with cash or anything so all I can say is about 300ish a month on payments.

403Gemini
02-15-2006, 11:31 AM
the new vues look pretty decent

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/Gallery%5Cc455409a.jpg

and in 2003 they ran the v6 with like 181 hp or and 195 torque

now 2006 they have 250 hp and 242 lbs of torque. cant complain with that ;)

and im biased, but ive had my saturn for about 2 yrs, its a 97 back when people claim "domestics were bad!" and ive had 0 problems. changed the brake pads and regular maintenance, thats it.

CLiVE
02-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
What's your budget? My sister drives 01 IMpreza, my dad drives a 03 Forester and aside from maintenance work (fluid changes, brake pads, tires) it has had zero problems. They have been so impressed they plan to buy another one.

I second these vehicles. My whole family drives subarus. Very impressed with them. Would be an excellent option instead of an SUV.

me&you
02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
A few things.

Firstly, anyone that tells you (or your girlfriend) to get a A4 with 140k, is sadistic and isn't your friend.

Second, you'll still be hard pressed to buy a respectable used car for $300/month. RARELY will you get 0% finance on ANY used car, forget about a Toyota. The rates are just to move slow-selling pre-owned cars and a good rate will only be available on a car with warranty remaining (or extended factory). Rates otherwise basically start at about 5.5%... and you usually have to have friends to get that one!

If she can spend $300/month, lease something brand-new, with warranty. If my GF was in this spot, that'd be what I'd tell her.

topher91
02-15-2006, 11:54 PM
I would lease but my GF thinks it useless to do so and there is no way I can convince her otherwise.

Chris

max_boost
02-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Tell her to read this thread. Why not lease? A lower payment, get a brand new car with lots of warranty, you can drive it hard and just return it when you are done. Otherwise for your budget, can't get very much.

I love leasing :D hehe

topher91
02-16-2006, 12:43 AM
She sees leasing as putting $$ into nothing. But in leasing, can't you choose to buy the car after the lease term is up?? Kinda like "balloon" financing?? Only thing is with lease too is that we are restricted by kms/yr??

Chris

Godfuader
02-16-2006, 01:09 AM
She sees leasing as putting $$ into nothing. But in leasing, can't you choose to buy the car after the lease term is up?? Kinda like "balloon" financing?? Only thing is with lease too is that we are restricted by kms/yr??

Chris

you can buy out the car at the end of the term of the lease or just simply return it. You are limited to the kms...i heard somewhere in the area of 20,000km/yr - 25,000km/yr. Good thing about leasing is that if you dont like the car for any reason after the term, you are not bound to it. If this is a type of car that you definately need for good, then you finance. Any other reason, finance.

rvd
02-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Is there such a thing as an SUV with good gas mileage ? if so list the model.:nut:

gp36912
02-16-2006, 01:16 AM
a diesel :P

Godfuader
02-16-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by rvd
Is there such a thing as an SUV with good gas mileage ? if so list the model.:nut:

06 Rav4 LTD 4WD 10.1/7.7 [28/37]
06 CRV 10.6 / 8.0
06 X-Trail AWD 10.8/8.1 [26/35]

More like the mini SUVs or the "Cute-utes"

me&you
02-16-2006, 10:44 AM

Chris

You can have the lease structured anyways that you want. Need to drive 100k a year, set-up the lease accordingly. Leasing is very simply, buying a car for a term. You're paying for the depreciation over the term, that's all.

topher91
02-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by me&you

You can have the lease structured anyways that you want. Need to drive 100k a year, set-up the lease accordingly. Leasing is very simply, buying a car for a term. You're paying for the depreciation over the term, that's all.

Hmmm that's a good way to look at it. I'll try that explanation and see if it will fly.

Chris

alloroc
02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

:werd:

My wife and I wanted something bigger last fall, our main drive was an Echo. We test drove everything, from the Toyota Prius to the honda ridgeline and everything inbetween. We wound up with a base model Legacy wagon- same storage space as the forester but its wider instead of taller, truthfully - the base model is a bit underpowered but I am REALLY happy with it otherwise, gotta love the standard options ( awd, alloy rims, aluminum hood, heated mirrors, seats windshield, side airbags etc. etc.) if I had to choose again I would make the same choice.

and just so your gilrfriend knows .. wagons outhandle suv's and minivans so maybe grandpa wasn't so dumb afterall

Zoom_Zoom
04-09-2006, 01:25 AM
an suv with good gas milage is any suv with overdrive.