PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Techs

brownchild
02-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Anyone here take the Pre-employment Instrument Tech course through SAIT, if so is it a good trade to get into, are their many job oppurtunities. Ive already checked www.tradesecrets.org, but I need to hear from ppl who have done the course or know people who are in this particular trade. thanks.

IggyB
02-14-2006, 01:19 PM
I've take Pre-Careers or Pre-technology (can't remember what it was called) course at SAIT 20+some years ago. Then went into Instrumentation Technology program.

Is that what you're talking about?

rio_rex
02-16-2006, 01:41 AM
The pre-employments makes u a 1st year instrument mechanic. It helps get ur foot in the door for a employer to hire u as a apprentice.

HuMz
02-16-2006, 10:01 AM
I never hear see them hiring in the paper or working section, but everyone ive talked to in the electrical industry say's there's a huge demand for them.....and i know in the city they start at 30$ minimum for journeyman

kaput
02-16-2006, 09:40 PM

stockEK
02-20-2006, 09:32 AM
If you take the 2 year Instrument Technician program at NAIT/ SAIT you can bypass the Apprenticeship Schooling - and just challenge the exams (if you have working hours). I took the equivalent program in BC, and was allowed to challenge years 1-3, and had to go to SAIT for my 4th year only.

The program/ Trade is quite diverse, probably more so than any other trade. It covers electricity through electronics, pneumatics, mechanical control systems, computer based control.... Think of it like a technical millwright.

I've found Calgary to not have alot of job opps. Going further north in the Red Deer/ Edmonton region is where you will find alot of maintenance and construction activity

fast&dangr
02-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I'd have to agree. Job-wise, Calgary sucks the root bigtime. For the most part, Calgary is just warehouses and offices and fab-shops, full of dead-end, low-paying, office or warehouse jobs or dirt and ass sucking fab-shop jobs. I live in Calgary because its a nice place and I've lived here all my life. But I work in fuckin Wyoming because its a way better deal and its not Fart Crack (Fort Mac). Plus I get to contribute to the "brain drain" - but hey, the money's shit back home.

brownchild
02-26-2006, 12:55 PM
i already started this course now at sait, its the Pre employment instrument tech. Its different from Instrumentation technology thats more advance, thats for ppl who want to become technologists. This is actually a really good trade to get into, and their are many many oppurtunities in the Calgary region right now.