PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Blown

#1hustler
02-11-2006, 04:57 PM
About two weeks ago my brother takes out my WRX "to the corner store" :bullshit: and comes back saying that he took a corner and the car started ticking.

I take a listen and even at idle there is a fairly loud ticking noise (which gets louder as the RPMs get higher).

To try and figure out what is wrong we take it around the block and then it really blew, worst sound I have ever heard).

Anyways, took it to the dealership, they took a look and first gear is completely gone.

They quoted me about 4000 for clutch, flywheel and new gears/tranny.

Here is where my problem lies:

1) I pay the dealership to replace the parts with OEM.

2) I outlet the parts elsewhere (aftermarket clutch + flywheel, OEM tranny)

3) I get an STI six-speed with aftermarket clutch + flywheel

4) I get a V8 or V7 STi tranny and engine and swap it in, put the WRX engine in my brothers RS and sell his RS engine.

Also do you think I should get the Subaru dealership to install this or a private garage.

Your input is appreciated.

BTW I have and 02 WRX with 37XXX kilometers, still with factory powertrain warrenty.

Pee_Sack
02-12-2006, 12:39 PM
It totally depends on how much money you have, how much time you want to be without a vehicle, and how much knowledge you have of cars?

If you have an endless supply of money do the swap, but keep in mind you will be getting a used engine from Japan, so you have no clue what has happened to it and why there is no car for it any more. If you go with the swap your warranty is pretty much GONE. But going with the swap would be a lot more fun.

mac_82
02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
From my limited knowledge wouldn't #3 be the hardest?

If you have the money, and your bro has the money to buy your engine go with a v7/v8 swap!

finboy
02-12-2006, 01:01 PM
buy a wrecked usdm sti and do the swap? lol

www.carparts.com
see if you can find a stock tranny

Weapon_R
02-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Why doesn't the dealership cover it?

#1hustler
02-12-2006, 02:54 PM
The dealership basically said that it broke because of how it was being driven. I personally never really drove it unreasonably hard. But I am not the first owner either.

Why would the option of putting in the JDM 6-speed be the hardest option? I have heard of plenty of people putting it in WRX's, I believe you just have to change the gears in the rear diff, which is fairly simple and inexpensive.

I have seen some V7 and V8 trannys and engines going for about 8000 CAD from Montreal but I have also heard that you can get shafted buying out of Quebec.

How much time and money do you think it would additionally take after getting the engine and tranny?

I might just be better of going with the easy fix and geting a used STi later on.

Thanks

Weapon_R
02-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I would not let it go at that...i'd find another dealer, or raise hell until they fixed your car. A "rally inspired, AWD vehicle" not warrantied because of how it were driven? Bullshit.

JAYMEZ
02-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey Hustler , they try to pull the same crap on everyone who trys to get warranty . You had no notice that the first gear was going , it just went within minutes. They can not ASSUME it was bad driving , they dont know how you drive , go back to them and tell them to uphold there warranty , or you will call Subaru of Canada and BBB.

Trust me , it works.

#1hustler
02-12-2006, 03:07 PM
It did have an axleback on it, could they void it for that.

I would have taken it off but my Dad did me a favour and took it in while I was at school :rolleyes:.

Weapon_R
02-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by #1hustler
It did have an axleback on it, could they void it for that.

I would have taken it off but my Dad did me a favour and took it in while I was at school :rolleyes:.

Not a chance. Axlebacks do not even have any bearing on the transmission.

mac_82
02-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Why would the option of putting in the JDM 6-speed be the hardest option? I have heard of plenty of people putting it in WRX's, I believe you just have to change the gears in the rear diff, which is fairly simple and inexpensive.

Here is a quote from Fragment on NASIOC. He has done the swap before.

I've done the swap . The prices have come down a bit with the introduction of the USDM STi. Buy used, not new or you'll be in for $$$$.

A complete list of parts is tough until you know exactly which year you are looking at taking the six speed out of. Minor changes to things like the axle designs can bite you in the arse if you don't know what to expect.

A list of the main "must" have items:
JDM or USDM six speed (duh)
Six speed compatible clutch and pressure plate
shifter
shift boot
driveshaft (its different, but the stock WRX one can be modified by a good shop)
rear differential with a ratio to match the front diff in the six speed

A list of "nice" to have items:
A complete STi rear end with R180 diff, axles, hubs, e-brake etc.
STi front axles and hubs

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself again: the six speed conversion has the largest impact of any mod I've ever sampled for the WRX. It changes the character of the car completely. I also like the JDM six as a better match for the 2.0 than the USDM six. But that's just theory, I've never driven a 2.0 with a USDM six.

PM me if you want more details.

Steve

PS costs vary, but the Canuk Buck is strong right now. Figure 4 to 5.5 thou for parts. Installation would be extra of course.

mac_82
02-12-2006, 03:36 PM
What about getting a set of STi RA or non RA gears?

Just did some research, and a set of OEM gears costs about $850.

Pricing for the STi RA and Non-RA gear sets is around $1300 depending on the retailer.

It is important to note that the 2003+ WRX gears are RA width, so 2002 users switching to 2003+ gears would not only get new gears, but stronger gears.

I also read that:

"Subaru dealers are NOT using 2002 OEM gears for rebuilds of 2002 trannies. They are using the updated RA width gears."

Take it with a grain of salt, all this info was found on internet forums.

;)

That.Guy.S30
02-12-2006, 04:34 PM
^^ i believe RA gears would kill his gas mileage

handsomebassman
02-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I believe you just have to change the gears in the rear diff, which is fairly simple and inexpensive.

Ever been under a car before?:rolleyes: And ever gone gear shopping? I dare you to call any gear expert in calgary, get an estimate for gears and install, and THEN tell me its simple and inexpensive.

#1hustler
02-12-2006, 06:12 PM
handsomebassman, the reason I mentioned this is that there is a vendor on NASIOC that you can overnight ship your rear diff to who will modify it for use with the 6-speed, for just over 100 USD, i believe

BTW I think that I will take "JAYMEZ's" advice and go and yell at the service manager, will keep you guys posted.

If not I will explore other options,

thanks for the help so far

#1hustler
02-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the research mac_82, That might be the way to go, just upgrade to the 03 gear set.

Also have any of you dealt with iON performance I noticed that they have new cryotreated gearsets for 650 CAD, seems like a good deal.

It does say 02/03 though, I wonder if they are RA width.

Thanks

That.Guy.S30
02-12-2006, 09:30 PM
^ those i beleive are oem but just cyro treated. maybe you should call techworks eng. to see what your other options are

mac_82
02-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the research mac_82, That might be the way to go, just upgrade to the 03 gear set.

Hey no problem, hope it helps :thumbsup:

spideywrx
02-12-2006, 10:20 PM
+2 for RA gears

Coaster
02-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I'll second calling TechWorks for cryo.

#1hustler
02-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Quick update:

Went to the dealership and talked to the service guy, he said that their is a service rep coming this weekend, he is going to keep the gearset for now and ask him about warenteeing it.

Hopefully all turns out :fingers crossed:

If it does work out, I owe JAYMEZ_STI a beer, thanks for telling me to go complain.

They should warentee it though, my brother still swears that he was just driving when it started clicking, which I think is when one of the teeth broke. About 10 blocks later of driving it like a granny the rest let go.