PDA

View Full Version : Audi ski jump

Supa Dexta
02-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I don't think I've seen this discussed on here, so here goes..

I really didn't think it was real the first time I saw it, but turns out it is.. Really is an impressive feat... And then do they back it down? Cause when I've been climbing in trucks, the last thing you want to have happen is have to back down any length of grade... (and yes I know, the fine print says rally spike tires used, but still impressive im my books)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm?newsid=2050308.004/country/gcf http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2050308.004/2050308.004.1M.jpg

habsfan
02-11-2006, 07:34 PM
heres how it was done. the car is on metal studded tires, and did actually drive up the slope on its own. however a cable was attatched to the underside of the car in case it would have failed. i can only assume that they would slowly lower it down via that cable once done shooting.

dj_rice
02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
heres how it was done. the car is on metal studded tires, and did actually drive up the slope on its own. however a cable was attatched to the underside of the car in case it would have failed. i can only assume that they would slowly lower it down via that cable once done shooting.

Yeap thats how they did it....they had a lil show about this on Discovery Channel about how it was done and everything

dino_martini
02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
That is such an awsome commercial, makes me want an Audi.. :)

gp36912
02-11-2006, 09:02 PM
^^^ and as you can see, the commercial did its job :D :D :D

Goblin
02-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah but RALLY SPIKED TIRES

Give any car that and try it, I bet you could do it. (awd for sure, perhaps some FWD and RWD could do it)

handsomebassman
02-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Goblin
Yeah but RALLY SPIKED TIRES

Give any car that and try it, I bet you could do it. (awd for sure, perhaps some FWD and RWD could do it)
:werd:

its not like it got up just because it is an audi. I would say something more along the lines of "I wish i had Rally Metal Spike Tires" instead of "I want an audi", :D

bart
02-11-2006, 10:11 PM
yes because its an audi... there is another video where they take an audi, nissan, bmw, mercedes and a few others, they all have AWD and the same tires, and they drive up a ski hill, the audi makes it up the furthest. i believe it was posted on this board somewhere...

Goblin
02-12-2006, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by handsomebassman

its not like it got up just because it is an audi. I would say something more along the lines of "I wish i had Rally Metal Spike Tires" instead of "I want an audi", :D

so true and really funny.

So many people (including my mom) are like, oH!! wow that is soo cool. Wow audis are so great, oh wow, they are so great! (uh.. its just the tires, bitch!)

Reminds me of a chris rock stand up joke.

He is talking about couples sitting together and the women saying

"Oh i like the tea, its sooo nice, I love it!!"

"Yeah its soo good wow so nice! Whats in it!!"

Chris rock- " Water BITCH!" haha

Ben
02-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Gotta love the computer chair critics.

If you like, I have a Video from 1993 which has an S4 going up this brutal iced and snowed over switchback mountain road in the Andes (Chile) WITHOUT tires if you like.

I dunno...AWD has it's benefits...Subie/Audi are pretty decent. I would not be betting the farm that an FWD car could make it up that, no matter what the tires. haha.

dino_martini
02-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by handsomebassman

Ok ok..I want an Audi with rally spiked tires

handsomebassman
02-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Ben
If you like, I have a Video from 1993 which has an S4 going up this brutal iced and snowed over switchback mountain road in the Andes (Chile) WITHOUT tires if you like.

Yea, i would like. Host it up.

GQBalla
02-12-2006, 04:02 AM
aahha this video still amazes me!

Zero102
02-12-2006, 01:03 PM
So, I'm wondering, did they have to use the cable to keep it stationary at the top?...