PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Sprawl and driving

benm
02-12-2006, 05:15 AM
I recently watched a documentary called The End of Suburbia, talking about the predicted global oil shortage, etc. and how that will lead to the collapse of suburban communities. Obviously if this were entirely true, none of us would be driving our cars anymore :(

So, imagine all this came to pass. What hobby would you switch to? I think I'd take up soapmaking.

Xtrema
02-12-2006, 09:28 AM
If you passion remain on wheels, switch to RC racing. 1/10 the size, 1/10 the cost, almost as fun.

Transportation will remain as a need. It may not run on oil in the future but there'll be always cars (or whatever we drive in the future).

Will suburbia gone? Theoratically, unless every inch of earth is occupied, there will be suburbs.

benm
02-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Will suburbia gone? Theoratically, unless every inch of earth is occupied, there will be suburbs. [/B]

But there sure weren't any massive suburban areas like we have now before the 1950's. The whole concept of suburbs couldn't exist before everyone started driving cars.

ringmaster
02-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
If you passion remain on wheels, switch to RC racing. 1/10 the size, 1/10 the cost, almost as fun.

RC is a sweet hobby... id have to do that or get a wood shop going.

GTS Jeff
02-12-2006, 12:05 PM
If oil started running out in our lifetimes (probably won't) it wouldn't disappear suddenly, it'd just get really expensive. Then only the most hardcore would spend the money on cars, which is good. Weeds out the ricers.

benm
02-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
If oil started running out in our lifetimes (probably won't) it wouldn't disappear suddenly, it'd just get really expensive. Then only the most hardcore would spend the money on cars, which is good. Weeds out the ricers.

Woo hoo! Every road the Autobahn!

Zero102
02-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Look at Europe, as far as an oil and space shortage goes, they're years ahead of us. They are still driving even when gas is ~$2.20/L, and between MOT, insurance, tolls, etc, they can spend several hundred a month just to keep their car on the road. Suburbia is shrinking over there, but it sure isn't gone.