PDA

View Full Version : help me design my stereo setup

Gadgetboy
02-12-2006, 05:20 AM
My stereo setup is pretty old, and I need something that'll suit my musical tastes some more. Right now, I'm currently running

Alpine CDA 7995 HU
JL VR525-CSi components
stock 6x9s
PG Tantrum 500.2 amp
PG XS2300 amp
2 10" Rockford punch

My main concern is SQ, and I mostly listen to faster punk/rock and the occasional rap song (I'd say I only listen to rap like <5% of the time), so I need subs that are going to be fairly responsive. I'd like to keep the HU and components, but looking to get new subs and amp(s) to better suit my current needs. Maybe a 4 channel amp to power the speakers, and another amp (or keep one of my current ones) to power the subs. So any suggestions for amps and subs? Should I bother upgrading the 6x9s? I don't mind paying a little more for some nicer stuff, but not something too high end with an outrageous price. Any suggestions?

I was also looking into getting someone to build me a box in my spare wheelwell. Nothing too fancy, just something to save me some space. Anyone want to do it or knows someone competent that can do it?

Oh yeah and if this makes a difference, its going in a 2 dr coupe.

ringmaster
02-12-2006, 11:44 AM
pick up an 8w7 and a 500/1 amp to power it. keep the 6X9s as they should only be used as filler anyways. (im assuming your fronts provide the main sound stage). Running everything off a 4ch amp will help you with SQ for sure.

Jonathan@TCS
02-12-2006, 09:54 PM
If you want a nice tight bass, you should check out the MTX Thunder 7500's. They are a well built sub with a cast aluminum basket. They sound amazing, and a good price too. $349 for the 12's. As for the 6x9's just unhook them, in a small car you won't even notice.

Gadgetboy
02-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Hey thanks for your input guys. I was actually looking at getting maybe 2 JL 8's for subs too, so the 8w7 sounds like a pretty good route to go. You think I'd be ok with keeping one of my existing amps to power the subs?

Jonathan@TCS, you think 12" is too big? I think my 2 10's now are too slow, and notice they do miss a few beats here and there.

Any other thoughts?

ringmaster
02-13-2006, 10:16 AM
"slow" means your subs are either under powered or they just lack the sensitivity to keep up with your music. Kicker makes awesome subs as well... L7s are not going to be as musical as the JL W7 series but will perform very well in a proted box. A 8"L7 can be had on ebay for about $130 (as opposed to like $500 here in town)

Unknown303
02-14-2006, 09:06 PM
In my small car i re-installed 6x9's in the rear deck, not stock by any means but with the new 6x9's it made the soundstage in my car sound a lot broader and less directional when i only had the door speakers.

Jonathan@TCS
02-15-2006, 09:32 AM
If you have a good set of 12's with proper power, they will hit tight and quick. I also like the 10's, but I wouldn't recommend 8's, they just aren't going to hit as hard, or as low.

If you are really concerned about SQ, then I don't recommend JL, they just sound kind of muddy, not tight crisp bass.

WWJAI
02-15-2006, 12:24 PM
^ Everyone has their own opinion

IMO, I do recommend JL's. If you definitely want a clean bass..their awesome. Especially the w7's but they can be quite pricey. Also...good sq subs would be infinity's and definitely worth the price.

But like all other threads say...just go around and listen to all the subs you can. Really, its all about what you think sounds good..not what or what not to others.

jdmakkord
02-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
^ Everyone has their own opinion

IMO, I do recommend JL's. If you definitely want a clean bass..their awesome. Especially the w7's but they can be quite pricey. Also...good sq subs would be infinity's and definitely worth the price.

But like all other threads say...just go around and listen to all the subs you can. Really, its all about what you think sounds good..not what or what not to others.

JL's suck ass, and infinitys are good ENTRY level sq subs. There are far better speakers out there for the money, but hey.....thats only my opinion:rolleyes:

DR.Gonzo
02-16-2006, 02:11 AM
Personally , I like Image Dynamics. The response is incredible and the output can be rediculous in the right ported enclosure ( but thats what they all say right ).Plus it is quite well priced for what you get. In my experience, there is nothing wrong with JL. Sure they are more money than some other stuff out there. but I have put together quite a few winning cars with JL. If you get the right 8" sub, it will play as low as anything else. If you get enough of them it will hit hard and be quite musical at the same time. Im a big fan of 8's myself

xin
02-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by DR.Gonzo
Personally , I like Image Dynamics. The response is incredible and the output can be rediculous in the right ported enclosure ( but thats what they all say right ).Plus it is quite well priced for what you get. In my experience, there is nothing wrong with JL. Sure they are more money than some other stuff out there. but I have put together quite a few winning cars with JL. If you get the right 8&quot; sub, it will play as low as anything else. If you get enough of them it will hit hard and be quite musical at the same time. Im a big fan of 8's myself

:thumbsup: for IDs too. Adire Audio is also pretty good. Its all up to your preference I guess. JL is a bit overpriced but their products are very solid. I would get 10s instead of of 8s to get the best of both worlds.