PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Mercedes c230 - new audio system

miguelf
02-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Hello all,

I currently own a 2002 Mercedes c230 kompressor coupe. It has the Bose audio system and I was hoping to replace the head unit, add an amp and possibly two 10" or 12" subs.

My problem is that I have heard that modifications to the head unit for this type of car can leave you in a big mess. I would like to change the audio but if it means the entire system may start glitching then I don't want to risk it. I have also heard that if you redue the entire system and bypass all of the current electrical by running new wires; then you can make the mod without any adverse effects.

If anyone has had experience making modifications on this type of car please give me your opinion.

Thanks.

dj_rice
02-12-2006, 12:11 PM
If your car is still under warranty, are you sure you want to void it by doing it yourself?Or are u getting a shop to do it?

miguelf
02-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I am planning on having a shop do it if I do decide to do it. But if there is a possibility that this will start glitching the electronics of the car then I do not want to go ahead.

rage2
02-13-2006, 11:47 AM
If it's the old standard DIN deck, it's very easy to change the deck. The harness is a standard VW harness, so buy one, wire it to your new deck, unplug stock deck, plug in new deck using VW harness, and you're done.

I am the most mechanically retarded person out there, and I was able to swap back to stock with no wire cutting in under 5 mins.

As for the amp, the stock amp is fairly powerful, and changing that requires a lot of wiring changes. I wouldn't mess with it. Most people on the SLK forums change the deck, speakers, and add a more powerful subwoofer, and that's it.