PDA

View Full Version : Quick help plz

fluid
02-12-2006, 05:30 PM
My buddy left me an old bmw, its standard...and i havent drove one for a while

well i keep stalling it, like i get it going after lik 3or4 trys, once im driving im fine, but just starting off im having a little trouble

any tips?

EK 2.0
02-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by fluid
My buddy left me an old bmw, its standard...and i havent drove one for a while

well i keep stalling it, like i get it going after lik 3or4 trys, once im driving im fine, but just starting off im having a little trouble

any tips?

give it a lil more gas before you slip the clutch in...if it has a tach try letting the clutch in at 1500-1700rpms versus what you may be trying right now...

and if that doesnt work...stick to auto...:dunno:

Clanche
02-12-2006, 05:42 PM
try to think of whats actually happening with the engine/tranny/clutch... when you press down on your clutch penal.. it disconnects the clutch/tranny from the engine.. so your engine isnt connected to your wheels anymore which is why you can rev it without effecting the car...

so when you are starting in first gear.. you have to ease the "connection process" so that your engine has enough chance to get the car moving.. in other words: when you are releasing your cluth.. do it slowing.. that way the engine is only partly connected to the wheels and get the car moving without being connect 100%.. once you feel that you are moving a bit and the engine can handle it.. let go of the clutch pedal entirely.

*edit: When you stall.. its because you connected your engine to your wheels without giving it enough power to turn them.. so its either your wheels follow the engine.. or the engine follows the wheels (stops/stalls)

vincent-h
02-12-2006, 05:49 PM
give it more gas that's a common problem when stalling.

its usually when your letting the clutch pedal out eith out alleviating it with the same amount of gas or more. heck if u let our clutch pedel out slow enough u can get hte car rolling without any gas at all i don't recommen dyou di t it though. just give the gas pedal a bit more rage and you'll be fine.

fluid
02-12-2006, 06:16 PM
ok thanks, i took it for another drive and i found it out myself after lik another 15 stalls lol, but thanks for the help

the only thing tht was making me think that it the wrong way is tht the kicks in pretty hard, should i let the clutch off a little slower

mayb tht will help

GTS Jeff
02-12-2006, 06:24 PM
You just need to be more sensitive with your clutch foot. It's better to slip the clutch longer at low revs than it is to pop the clutch at high revs.

Clanche
02-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You just need to be more sensitive with your clutch foot. It's better to slip the clutch longer at low revs than it is to pop the clutch at high revs.

ya listen to Takumi... :thumbsup: if it feels like it kicks its either that you were reving too hard (racish start) or because the engine didnt have enough gas to keep up so it almost died but managed to go ahead