PDA

View Full Version : E36 Headlamp washer

sgouki
02-12-2006, 09:52 PM
OK this might be the dumb question but I recently started thinking. How do you access the washer jets for the headlamps? Is it a separate button or does it come on when you use the jets normally?

I also have a weird button that seems to do nothing(I think)
The button is located infront of the shifter and it's more like a switch w/ button. Press forward and a red light would go on(signifying ON i assume) and on release it goes to a neutral point. Press down and the switch clicks down.
I have a feeling that this switch might be the washer button but I'm not sure.

2 questions. Where is my washer button and what is that switch?

Thanks

JordanLotoski
02-12-2006, 10:04 PM
i have an e46, and i have no clue either.

Goblin
02-12-2006, 10:10 PM
The button you are pressing is (pretty sure) traction control.

your headlight washers come on every 3 times you wash your windshield.

sgouki
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
That was what I was thinking until I scrolled through the manual and the button for traction was labeled DSC+T (i think) and it is an actual button that lights up with label sort of like the heat seats. The manual however has no mention of this switch thing.
And to top it off it has NO label and just a little red bulb above it.

Really every 3 times? I'll try that out once I get a new battery dammit. Now the mission is to figure out this stupid funtion of this switch!

FiveFreshFish
02-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by sgouki
Really every 3 times?

No, it's once every 5 times you activate the windshield washers, and only when the headlights are on. Straight from page 44 of the owner's manual.

Goblin
02-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

No, it's once every 5 times you activate the windshield washers, and only when the headlights are on. Straight from page 44 of the owner's manual.

e36/e46 difference perhaps, in my manual im sure its three.. But yes, you need your lights on as well. Forgot to mention that.

Also dont know you need to be traveling x amount ?

FiveFreshFish
02-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Goblin
Also dont know you need to be traveling x amount ?
Could be true for the E46. The E36 isn't smart enough to know. ;)

CBRComet
02-14-2006, 12:22 AM
is that switch you are talking about the stereo enhancement switch for the harman kardon stereo? on mine it enhances the bass a little bit, kind of like a loudness circuit.

sgouki
02-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Is there such switch? It's located right in front of the shifter boot. If I had traction control the button would be placed there.
I'll have to test it after I find myself a new battery for my car :(