PDA

View Full Version : M5 not quite so trackable?

HiSpec
02-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Has anyone seen that BEST MOTORING episode with M5, M3CSL, GT-R, Carrera S and Gallerdo?

Maybe due to the fact that I dont' understand Japanese, but it seems like the M5 isn't all that powerful when being tossed around in a track. There was a few occassion that the M3CSL was able to get pretty darn close to M5.

Or did that guy in green (i dunno his name in english translation, but its that guy in the green tracksuit) didn't use track mode for that event?

rage2
02-13-2006, 01:42 AM
M5's a heavy car. That's why it can't really corner as well as the lighter cars, simple physics.

The M5 is also very fragile, I believe Top Gear broke 2 of them before the Stig could get a clean lap in. It's mentioned in that episode.

nismodrifter
02-13-2006, 02:12 AM
I think it was just one...I remember him saying something about the rear end exploding or something.

I'm not a fan of the new M5...I just can't get over the :barf: looks.

R-Audi
02-13-2006, 09:16 AM
While not a huge fan of the styling... (It is growing on me) I got a ride in one recently and it accelerated faster then anything else I have been in. (Comparing with A Viper, CObra replica, few other fast ones..) You had to keep your head on the headrest or else your neck would snap back.. the spped of shifting was unreal! From a dig (No launch or traction control, just pedal straight down) it pun the tires through the first 3 gears.... Mind you they were 19" Winter tires.. but quite impressive!
I can't wait till the exhaust and wheels get out on....

DelSoln
02-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by rage2
M5's a heavy car. That's why it can't really corner as well as the lighter cars, simple physics.

The M5 is also very fragile, I believe Top Gear broke 2 of them before the Stig could get a clean lap in. It's mentioned in that episode.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5363968757069908445&q=top+gear+m5

handsomebassman
02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5363968757069908445&q=top+gear+m5

"...this is one of the ugliest and most annoying cars in the world."
J. Clarkson (Top Gear)

lol.

The new Bmw's are garbage, the classics are where its at.

And by the way, two rear ends gone in less than 24hours? hah.

Manimillion
02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I wonder how come when ever there is a BEST MOTORING comparison always the japanese cars win :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Coincidence? I don't think so.... I'd rather stick to the usual english/german speaking shows, with unbiased reviews.

Manimillion
02-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by handsomebassman

J. Clarkson (Top Gear)

lol.

How many "newer" BMW's have you owned? I don't currently own a BMW but, you cannot call new BMW's garbage. Every single M model that came out till today has had problems within the 1st year of production but BMW has always stood behind their products, fixed all the problems and in some cases has upped the waranty coverage. Look at the E46 M3's, when they just came out, there was a field full of them with blown engines... What did BMW do? THey upped the waranty to 6 years, 100 000km's, and that is for an M3, its a sports car, and they know that most of the buyers will be pushing the car for that 100 000km's...

Garbage? I don't think so....

Fosgate R
02-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
While not a huge fan of the styling... (It is growing on me) I got a ride in one recently and it accelerated faster then anything else I have been in. (Comparing with A Viper, CObra replica, few other fast ones..) You had to keep your head on the headrest or else your neck would snap back.. the spped of shifting was unreal! From a dig (No launch or traction control, just pedal straight down) it pun the tires through the first 3 gears.... Mind you they were 19" Winter tires.. but quite impressive!
I can't wait till the exhaust and wheels get out on....

Yeah man, i've had a ride in your dads too....and fuck is it fast!! waiting for the wheels and exhaust too!!! So cool how the side bolsters on the front seats get stiffer when you throw it into the corners....:drool:

It may be heavy, but its the nicest car i've been in for a while!

handsomebassman
02-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Manimillion

How many "newer" BMW's have you owned? I don't currently own a BMW but, you cannot call new BMW's garbage. Every single M model that came out till today has had problems within the 1st year of production but BMW has always stood behind their products, fixed all the problems and in some cases has upped the waranty coverage. Look at the E46 M3's, when they just came out, there was a field full of them with blown engines... What did BMW do? THey upped the waranty to 6 years, 100 000km's, and that is for an M3, its a sports car, and they know that most of the buyers will be pushing the car for that 100 000km's...

My passed away grandfather owned an 03 M3, and a while back, late 90's, he had an *EDIT 7 series. I never rode in the 7 series though, because it ended up needing so much work, that it was more practical for him to sell. The m3 had a problem with the "anti pinch" window system not working, and the centre console continuously would not recieve power and light up, and the traction control light stayed on all the time.

As well as a fellow member on here bought an X5, and the self leveling system was all fucked up when he bought it, as well as other little electrical problems.

Garbage? Well gettin close.

handsomebassman
02-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Every single M model that came out till today has had problems within the 1st year of production but BMW has always stood behind their products, fixed all the problems

Shouldnt that be slightly more than expected? I thought they would just leave all of the problems and back down from the product

Originally posted by Manimillion Look at the E46 M3's, when they just came out, there was a field full of them with blown engines... What did BMW do? THey upped the waranty to 6 years, 100 000km's, and that is for an M3, its a sports car, and they know that most of the buyers will be pushing the car for that 100 000km's...
:rolleyes:

So because they upped the warranty, all of a sudden its acceptable to have a full field of first years with blown engines?

Take your time, and find BMW on this list.

http://www.consumerreports.org/content/Categories/CarsTrucks/Reports/Images/0510blu501.gif

Weapon_R
02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
[B What did BMW do? THey upped the waranty to 6 years, 100 000km's, and that is for an M3, its a sports car, and they know that most of the buyers will be pushing the car for that 100 000km's...
[/B]

Isn't this after the BMW owners launched a huge class-action lawsuit against the car maker for faulty products? They are nice cars, but calling them reliable is an exaggeration.

bspot
02-13-2006, 12:55 PM

Thats awesome.

Kia's have 100,000km warranties too. I guess they aren't good cars though, because they don't blow as many engines?:cry:

Isn't that neat

handsomebassman
02-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Thats awesome.

Kia's have 100,000km warranties too. I guess they aren't good cars though, because they don't blow as many engines?:cry:

Isn't that neat

:werd: :thumbsup:

Goblin
02-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Id rather have a BMW than a civic, lets put it that way :rofl:

handsomebassman
02-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Goblin

OH HAHAHAH OH OH HAHAHA. Thats a knee-slapper.

Two completely different classes of car you moron. At least ill have mine on the streets much much more than any shop queen bmw.

Fosgate R
02-13-2006, 07:17 PM

:werd:

It's also on an individual experience basis. I've had friends that have had some problems with their beemers, and I have also had friends that have had flawless beemers. My buddy with a 2002 X5, now has 70,000Km, without a single problem. Depends what day it was made on...lol....Mondays are the shit ones...haha

handsomebassman
02-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Fosgate R

Do none of you seriously understand that they are two completely different classes? Thats like saying "ohh hoho id rather have a maserati than a mini cooperS ah ha ha"

Fosgate R
02-13-2006, 07:24 PM

Do none of you seriously understand that they are two completely different classes? Thats like saying "ohh hoho id rather have a maserati than a mini cooperS ah ha ha"

Does it really matter? Opinions are opinions man...he was just saying that he would rather have a beemer than a civic. lol. Me too. We obviously know that they arn't in the same class.....we're not 10 year olds. :rolleyes:

iceburns288
02-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Ok, first someone took Best Motoring's advice and now someone takes Top Gear's?:eek: :eek:

Both shows are really entertaining but completely useless.

HiSpec
02-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
Ok, first someone took Best Motoring's advice and now someone takes Top Gear's?:eek: :eek:

Both shows are really entertaining but completely useless.

however i won't say its useless... i mean there are some cars in both of those shows that will give u information that u never knew about.

anyhow, hmm this forum has turned into a "i love BMW or not" topic...
my question was still unanswered. did the old man (green tracksuit) use the track mode in this event?

in a way i thought he was using it because was all over the road on the last few corners.
but in a way i didn't think so, because the shifting doens't seem that fast compare to other test drive i have watched.

arian_ma
02-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Fosgate R

Does it really matter? Opinions are opinions man...he was just saying that he would rather have a beemer than a civic. lol. Me too. We obviously know that they arn't in the same class.....we're not 10 year olds. :rolleyes:

Bottom line is, I could have taken a shit on a piece of paper and smeared it all around and a nicer car would have emerged than the new BMW lineup...IMO. I am not calling you an idiot or saying that you have bad taste in cars.
I seriously think BMW went out of their way to make their cars look less aggressive and more "Look at me I am 60 and have a lot of money to blow on shit I have no clue about."
Disappointing because I think that the last gen M5 and M3 were one of the most beautiful and best performing cars of their class.

T-Dubbs
02-14-2006, 02:08 AM

J. Clarkson (Top Gear)

lol.

the bmw M5 is an luxury sports sedan. not an exotic sports car.
the M5 isnt a track car, if u wanna track car, go buy an lotus elise.
last time i checked, the owners of a M5 are not worried about how it performs on a track....
Many people will trash the car, but unless uve got one, and know what its like to drive/own it, STFU.
u cant appriciate the car untill u drive it..........

cycosis
02-14-2006, 02:22 AM
^couldnt have said it better myself. they are a comfortable car that does offer some higher end performance for those who choose to buy them based on style and class. don;t compare any jdm stuff cause its jsut retarded.

T-Dubbs
02-14-2006, 02:29 AM
in that top gear, they mention that they think its better than a ferrari F430............

need i say more?

Fosgate R
02-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs

last time i checked, the owners of a M5 are not worried about how it performs on a track....
Many people will trash the car, but unless uve got one, and know what its like to drive/own it, STFU.

handsomebassman
02-14-2006, 12:52 PM
in that top gear, they mention that they think its better than a ferrari F430............

need i say more?

Yea, why dont you tell us wether you would rather have the f430, or a car that jeremy from top gear says is ugly and annoying.:rolleyes:

As soon as someone on here disses a BMW, all of the wicked super hardcore fans come on and have a fit. :guns:

At least there are some bimmer fans on here that respect others opinions, and understand that not all years and all models are created equal.

rage2
02-14-2006, 01:10 PM
I dunno, BMW sure markets it as a track car.

Correction, they market it as a race car.

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/m5usa.jpg

handsomebassman
02-14-2006, 01:13 PM
^^ :rofl:

a race car... yea, and did anyone see the civic in lemans last year?:rolleyes:

R-Audi
02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
OMG! Jeremey from Top Gear said its ugly and annoying.. guess I wont get one!

How about if:
Jeremey from Top Gear said I should jump of a bridge!

Stupid noob.

I dont see how people can completely base their opinions on a car from a magazine or TV show.. untill you have spent time in a car, only trust yourself.
ie. How much time to test drivers get behind the wheel? I-Drive certainly isnt easy to learn, but once you know what you are doing its super easy. What electrical device WAS super easy the first time you ever tried it?

CryoCarnage
02-14-2006, 03:49 PM
too bad they went bad with those BMW's. i know of a guy who has the previous gen m5 and he couldntbe happier.

Fosgate R
02-14-2006, 10:13 PM

At least there are some bimmer fans on here that respect others opinions, and understand that not all years and all models are created equal.
Speaking of someone that dosn't respect other opinions...^^^ LOL

962 kid
02-14-2006, 11:05 PM

met a guy who bought a two year old C240 6 speed... when he showed it some guys he worked with. when he told them how much it was they got confused and said.........

" but for that kind of money you could haver bought a new Civic !!"

DelSoln
02-14-2006, 11:12 PM

You should spead the word on the RX8 thread.

bituerbo
02-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

met a guy who bought a two year old C240 6 speed... when he showed it some guys he worked with. when he told them how much it was they got confused and said.........

On a road trip from Ottawa to Detroit about 1 month back (went to see Detroit NAIAS 2006) and I drove my friends 2005? civic for part of the way.

As we were pulling on the highway, the civic couldn't get up to speed fast enough to merge into the 120km/hr traffic... we had to stay in the collector for 2 exits before we finally had enough speed to merge with traffic in the express.

Honda Jokes ensued for the remaining 6 hours of the trip.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

:rofl: :rofl: That's awful!

handsomebassman
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo

On a road trip from Ottawa to Detroit about 1 month back (went to see Detroit NAIAS 2006) and I drove my friends 2005? civic for part of the way.

As we were pulling on the highway, the civic couldn't get up to speed fast enough to merge into the 120km/hr traffic... we had to stay in the collector for 2 exits before we finally had enough speed to merge with traffic in the express.

Honda Jokes ensued for the remaining 6 hours of the trip.

lol

gp36912
02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
:P like they said, don't judge it till uve driven or ridden in one. jebus those things fly!!! and no not all beemers are junk, i mean i spend 4 days in the shop a year :P and thats oil changes :P i change my oil bout every 5ks or less. then basic maintenance. :P my friends dad had bought a x3 and hasn't ever been to the shop other for maintenance or a busted rim. hahaha he curbed it going pretty damn fast too. other than that, no problems. i want to drive a m5 :drool: :drool: :drool:

iceburns288
02-20-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...and it goes and it feels and it sounds like a Ferrari F430 and that's about the best car I've ever driven.

Not quite.

rage2
02-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
:P like they said, don't judge it till uve driven or ridden in one. jebus those things fly!!! and no not all beemers are junk, i mean i spend 4 days in the shop a year :P and thats oil changes :P i change my oil bout every 5ks or less. then basic maintenance. :P my friends dad had bought a x3 and hasn't ever been to the shop other for maintenance or a busted rim. hahaha he curbed it going pretty damn fast too. other than that, no problems. i want to drive a m5 :drool: :drool: :drool:
Can't compare your 323 to a M3 or a M5. The M cars are definately less reliable than the average bimmer's mainly because their owners demand more from their cars (track days, driving harder, etc). It's not just BMW, Mercedes Benz has the same problems with their AMG cars too. My non AMG SLK's were bulletproof as long as I had them. Moved to AMG, it spent about the same time in the shop as it did on the road.