PDA

View Full Version : fasted cardio / cardio on empty stomach

gggunit
02-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Anyone ever test this theory by doing cardio first thing in the morning? Everything that I have read takes both points of view.. some say yah its good others say dont do it.. Ive been trying it and will let you know of the results.

http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles/cardio-morning.asp

A study carried out at Kansas State University indicates that a kilogram of fat will be oxidized sooner when exercising in the fasted condition in the morning than when doing the same exercise in the afternoon. these researchers showed that the mass of fat burned during aerobic exercise amounts to 67% of the total energy expenditure achieved when the same exercise is done later in the day or in the fed state.

steelo
02-13-2006, 01:02 PM
You have quicker access to fat stores in the morning.

hockeybronx
02-13-2006, 01:16 PM
I'd say if you are trying to simply burn fat and lots of it quick, then this is the way to go.

However if you are trying to strengthen muscles in your legs, improve your lung capacity, and give your heart a good workout then I wouldn't recommend it. Your body needs energy regardless of what your goals are. I wouldn't ever do any workout without having a proper intake of energy beforehand.

lsc2g
02-15-2006, 08:52 AM
i run 5-8 miles 3-5 times a week at the gym and I always do it after work so like 3-4 hours after lunch. I found whenever I would run that much in the mornings on a day off kind of thing I could do it fine (i don't stop in the middle or slow down just keep going) but after i finished and stepped off with an empty stomach i almost collapsed or felt like puking.

Having a bit of food in me keeps me settled and seems to just work.

little_wan
02-17-2006, 04:21 PM
On the basis that your resting energy expenditure goes up by roughly 10% by just eating breakfast, i would say working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach would be more negative that positive. You end up burning less fat throughout the day by NOT eating breakfast.

buh_buh
02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
well you'd still eat breakfast, just after your run.

gggunit
02-17-2006, 04:46 PM
^ EXACTLY

little_wan
02-18-2006, 02:53 AM
The point of eating breakfast is to get your metabolism going within a certain period of waking up. By the time you wake up, get ready, do your X amount of minutes of cardio (which is usually a minimum of 30 min for any benefit) and then prepare breakfast, you would've passed the "breakfast" period