PDA

View Full Version : workout/fitness books?

Grip172
02-13-2006, 06:59 PM
can any of you guys recommend a good read? something with a list of exercises and maybe some healthy eating tips etc etc. I don't want a magazine, as those are i dunno.i want agood informative read:D

YCB
02-13-2006, 07:24 PM
the arnold holy bible of working out..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0684857219/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-9612884-2623902#reader-link

hockeybronx
02-14-2006, 02:09 AM
The Arnold Encyclopedia I've heard is pretty good, chapters has a ton of books about fitness, if you get a free night just go over there and sit down with a few books and decide which one you want.

Don't forget, anything you find in a book you can find on the internet. A few of my personal favorite sites are www.menshealth.com and www.bodybuilding.com

There are also a ton of pretty informative threads here in the Health/Fitness section on Beyond.

There's so much to learn, just find something that works for you.:thumbsup:

Gorilla
02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by YCB
the arnold holy bible of working out..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0684857219/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-9612884-2623902#reader-link

:werd:

Best book out there.

pitwipe
02-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I started with the 'Body for life' book, it has some good information if you're just starting out.
Now I use the "burn the fat, feed the muscle' system.

A google search will reveal both for you.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-14-2006, 08:40 PM
I would say Arnies book or somthing by Charles Poliquin

00CivicSi
02-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Poliquin principles by charles poliquin or Scrawny to Brawny by the John Berardi. 2 of the best books you can ever have for training. Crappy thing is Poliquin principles is no longer in print so VERY hard to find. Oh ebay it goes for like close to 200 bucks when it useta 19.99. I have 2 copies and can photo copy for you if you need.

Tyler883
02-15-2006, 01:06 AM
I liked Arnold's encyclopedia for exercises, he points out common mistakes, and he covers a wide range of techniques instead of swearing by one method.

I like Golds Gym encyclopedia for nutritional, and technical explainations

I like Weider's encyclopedia for it's recommended workouts, and the way he separates it into beginner, intermediate, advanced.

I like the 'body for life' book for inspiration, and its simple approach

Most books will cover alot of the same, if I had to recomend just one book, I'd go with Arnolds because it comes with some awesome photos of himself and other body builders.

good luck!!!!

hockeybronx
02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
if I had to recomend just one book, I'd go with Arnolds because it comes with some awesome photos of himself and other body builders.

It's gotta be lust:D ... just kidding:angel:

99atlantic
02-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Arnold's book has pretty pictures of the exercises, but is really crap for information.

Authors like Poliquin and Zatsiorsky and Siff rule for the scientific breakdown, but you can spend a day trying to interpret 2pages.....and most of the other stuff out there is shit unless you've got excellent genetics and enough juice to kill and elephant

But if you just want something for beginners that highlights all the main points about proper dieting and training and how to build routines, etc.. etc..., I highly suggest what I wrote a few years ago - www.ironpumping.com only $8 for e-version, best $8 you'll ever spend ^_^

Tyler883
02-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by 99atlantic
Arnold's book has pretty pictures of the exercises, but is really crap for information.

Authors like Poliquin and Zatsiorsky and Siff rule for the scientific breakdown, but you can spend a day trying to interpret 2pages.....and most of the other stuff out there is shit unless you've got excellent genetics and enough juice to kill and elephant

But if you just want something for beginners that highlights all the main points about proper dieting and training and how to build routines, etc.. etc..., I highly suggest what I wrote a few years ago - www.ironpumping.com only $8 for e-version, best $8 you'll ever spend ^_^

Dude, you should pay beyond some money if you want to advertise on this forum.

99atlantic
02-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883

Dude, you should pay beyond some money if you want to advertise on this forum.

Dude, i wasn't advertising, i just said I wrote a book :p

00CivicSi
02-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by 99atlantic

Dood not bashing your info etc. I'm just curious as what would make your programs or your "Book" so much more informative for a beginner then a 7 time olympian and professional's advice, techniques or a Certified B.Sc. Kinesiology M.Sc's(Poliquin's) advice? I would a agree some of stufff would be pretty hard to decifer but arnold's guide is pretty basic.

Unknown303
02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
I would recommend "The Abs Diet" by David Zinczenko. Good book with lots of exercises and good eating tips. I enjoyed it anyways.