PDA

View Full Version : 3SGTE Swap

Frosty66
02-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey,
I just recently purchased an NA 1991 Toyota Mr2. I've been talking to the guys up at JDM source about getting an engine and that doesn't seem to be a problem. I'll end up getting the Engine, Transmission, ECU, Wire Harness, MAF and whatever else JDM Source provides with the engine. However, I know theres a few things that need to be done as well.
For example:
Rear Hubs/Spindles
Rear Axles

Can someone possibly help me with finding out all of the parts I'll need to complete this swap? I'm putting in a Gen 2 motor.

And another question, my mr2 is lowered 2 inches on Eibach Sportline springs.. Now in order to avoid rub, what size of tires could I go with if I was to get a 17" set of wheels?

Thanks a lot! :D

calgarygts
02-14-2006, 01:35 PM
From my experience with sportlines if I were you I'd get a set of springs with less of a drop as there aren't any shocks out there that are going to handle that drop without wearing out quickly (with the possible exception of koni yellows). If you want the huge drop get a complete coilover kit.

Frosty66
02-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Well the springs were there before hand, is there a cheap route in which I could get new springs? Would stock springs be a good idea? Also are the sportline adjustable height or just dampering? What would be good springs for daily driving?

Just more questions :) Back on topic now lol..

calgarygts
02-14-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't know a whole lot about mr2's, but with one of my celica's when I did a lot of looking around the best combo for bang for your buck with decent performance was the KYB AGX shocks with tein S tech springs. Good drop with adjustable damping rates on the struts. But again, I don't have any experience with the mr2.
The sportlines are just springs so no, you can't adjust them.

Milk2%
02-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Just pick up a nice set of coilovers. The adjustablity and performance you get from a nice coilover setup is unbelivable. If you get lowering springs you will just have to buy struts almost once a year

Ek9Max
02-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Milk2%
Just pick up a nice set of coilovers. The adjustablity and performance you get from a nice coilover setup is unbelivable. If you get lowering springs you will just have to buy struts almost once a year

Unless you get upgraded struts like you're supposed to.

bmeier
02-14-2006, 02:28 PM
i have a set of
Rear Hubs/Spindles
Rear Axles

they came on my clip but i dont need them since i am swapping into a first gen

PM me if you are interested or email me at [email protected]

Frosty66
02-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
i have a set of
Rear Hubs/Spindles
Rear Axles

they came on my clip but i dont need them since i am swapping into a first gen

PM me if you are interested or email me at [email protected]

PMed and E-mailed..
Anything else I need to finish the swap? Also will the engine bolt up to the old exhaust?

stealth
02-14-2006, 05:04 PM
No the old exhaust wont fit.

I have been running eibach sportlines for over 2 years on stock shocks, no problems here. Same with a few others in the Edmonton Mr2 Club.

And I and others noticed it rides the same as if you were on Koni Yellows.

Parts needed for swap:

AFM
Turbo Axles
Turbo Hubs
Ignitor
Coil
Turbo Motor Mounts
Intercooler
Intercooler Piping
Fuel Lines ( May need if cut )
AFM Piping
Turbo Body Harness
Throttle Cable Bracket
Exhaust
Boost Gauge
Fuel Pump
Injector/Resistor Packs for fuel pump
Distributor ( May come with engine )
Turbo Shifter Cables
Starter
ECU
Engine Harness

Thats basically all that I needed. Prices may have changed since I last seen.

I had to buy a extra ecu because the one jdm source had was blown.

I had to buy an extra afm because the one I bought from a guy was blown.

There is more shit, just cant think of it.

My swap cost me more than 3 times the price of the engine FYI.

Frosty66
02-14-2006, 06:35 PM
3 times the price huh? Mine should only end up around $3500 and I've calculated almost everything now, besides things that may go wrong in the future.

stealth
02-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Frosty66
3 times the price huh? Mine should only end up around $3500 and I've calculated almost everything now, besides things that may go wrong in the future.

Always quote atleast double to be safe.

Frosty66
02-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Still looking for rear hubs and axles.