PDA

View Full Version : Wet or Dry Sauna

Gorilla
02-14-2006, 02:38 PM
therapeutic benefits of sauna and steam baths

Both sauna baths and steam baths stimulate circulation and respiration, reduce muscular tension and cleanse and rejuvinate the skin and body through perspiration.

a heavy cigarette smoker can actually leave a brown stain on a white towel as they perspire toxins from their body in a sauna.

Which one do you perfer

Lo)2enz0
02-14-2006, 02:46 PM
my parents have a dry sauna at there place, and personally. its all about the wet sauna.

mac_82
02-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I like it wet. ;)

Tyler883
02-14-2006, 03:20 PM
traditional finnish saunas are often called 'dry saunas' yet making steam on the rocks is an important part of the sauna.

It's mostly public 'dry' saunas in North America that tries to discourage pouring water on the rocks. Probably due to liabilty issues, and a general lack of understanding about saunas.

the 2 choices should be 'wet' and 'even wetter', IMO.

Pee_Sack
02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I like dry, due to the fact I love the smell of the wet wood.

2002civic
02-14-2006, 03:39 PM
our old house had a "dry" and our new house has a "wet" and i find i can last a lot longer in the dry but the wet does the job just as well, if i had to choose i'd say wet i guess

Hakkola
02-14-2006, 03:56 PM
If you're lasting longer in a dry sauna you're doing it wrong. Finnish Sauna all the way, 100 degrees, then run in the lake. :thumbsup:

Finnish (Suomi sauna) all the way, you have to throw the whole bucket on the rocks and see if you can take it. :)

joyridder
02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Both have benefits - but I would prefer not having to sit in a dead skin cell bath thanks!! haha

shakalaka
02-14-2006, 06:17 PM
We have both, but I personally like dry when I have time to kill. Like the wet when I am dead tired.

Kirbs17
02-14-2006, 07:03 PM
fuck sauna's.... hot tubs are were the moneys at! :drool: So relaxing

Vagabond142
02-14-2006, 07:14 PM
A fucking HOT steam room is the way to go... U of C's have been known to be massively hot, just hop in there after a swim or after a workout and it just melts any soreness away :D and you can control the heat level by sitting on the floor, the first tier or the second tier (hottest, I've actually burned my face sitting a little too long on the top tier)

Foz
02-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
fuck sauna's.... hot tubs are were the moneys at! :drool: So relaxing

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/959984740.html

Kirbs17
02-14-2006, 09:11 PM
pssh im talking a personal hot tub in your back yard. Properly maintained, water changed every three months. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hockeybronx
02-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
A fucking HOT steam room is the way to go...

:werd:
I prefer steam rooms over saunas any day. I love taking in a gatorade and a bottle of water after a good workout and having some relaxation time :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tyler883
02-15-2006, 12:52 AM
I've built my own infra-red sauna. it's a low budget sauna( cost me about $200) but I can eventually develop it into a cedar room ($300-$500?) and a traditional furnace with the rocks for steam( stainless steel $500cdn).

All I did was frame the walls, installed reflectix on the walls and ceiling, then wired up 6 heat lamps - the kind that you can get at any building supply store. I have a 60 minute timer on the wall for a switch.

I made a few mistakes, like using plastic flood lamp stands ( they melted on me) which I later replaced with ceramic fixtures( the $6 kind)...ceramic doesn't melt, and it handles the heat really well.
The heat lamps should be the red kind, if you buy the white bulbs they will give you a sun tan/burn. short term exposure to the wrong bulbs is no more cancer causing than short term exposure to the sun, the wrong bulbs aren't going to kill you, but hopefully I can save you from spending you hard earned coin on them.

Side note on infra-red: it is completely safe, if you don't beleive me, then ask anybody with an IR camera....humans emit infra-red all the time.

If amyone is interested, I'll tell you more about it.

cheers
Tyler

Foz
02-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
pssh im talking a personal hot tub in your back yard. Properly maintained, water changed every three months. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Invite some hot girls and now I envy you!

:D :drool: :thumbsup:

Public hot tubs are poo poo.:barf: