PDA

View Full Version : Osteria de Medici - Don't ever go!!!

JiggaMan
02-15-2006, 10:49 AM
So I thought it would be nice to take the lady out to an expensive restaurant for Valentine's day, unfortunately I chose the wrong place.

The prices didn't shock me as I knew what I was getting myself into. I had a TINY meal of lobster and pasta for $55 as well as an 8 piece garlic shrimp appetizer for $20, my girlfriend had a cheesy ravioli type meal for $25. I ended up paying just over $100 for a tiny meal... I honestly felt like I was going to have to stop in and grab some fast food after we were done... it was ridiculous.

As for the service... wow, what garbage!!! I'm not sure if it was because we are a young couple at an expensive place, but it felt as though we were forgotten about (and I know we were not the only ones). When I say the service was bad, I don't mean bad for an expensive place - but if I got treated like that at a Denny's I would be pissed! It took at least 30 minutes to place our order and we ended up waiting a total of 2 hours to get our food. We ran out of water about 30 mins into the dinner and ate without drinks. In fact, the only refill we got was when we had to flag the waiter down... and he had the nerve to even give us attitude like we were interrupting his busy process. Once we were finished dinner, we literally sat with empty plates and empty glasses for about 30-45 minutes. Fortunately, we got some entertainment from the people beside us complaining about how cold the food was and how long they had waited.

I'm proud to say that we left absolutley no tip, except a little note about how unacceptable the service was. On the way out we even experienced some interesting things. While we were putting our jackets on, a waiter asked my girlfriend to move out of the way so he could pass. She didn't see him or anything but gladly moved to the side when he asked, I saw him mumbling something fierce like he was pissed that we blocked him for a whole 3 seconds. I almost dropped his ass right there. Rude prick.

The other customers there weren't much better either. Rich snobs that are too good to even thank someone for holding a door for them.

All-in-all, terrible experience. Food was okay, prices very high, service was disgusting and the people were dicks. DO NOT EAT HERE!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they lost the first reservation I made. Luckily (or I guess it was unlucky) I phoned to confirm on Monday and got another reservation. Save your money and go to the keg or red lobster.

1 star our of 5 :whipped:
:guns: :banghead:

B17a
02-15-2006, 11:01 AM
That sucks. I've been to Osteria several times and have always experiened great food great service. Antoinetta who owns the place has always been great. I wonder what happened?

legendboy
02-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by B17a
That sucks. I've been to Osteria several times and have always experiened great food great service. Antoinetta who owns the place has always been great.

yup, infact we just had my aunts wedding reception there. Great as always :dunno:

JiggaMan
02-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I too have heard great things. However, I will never go back there again because the first experience was so bad.

Antoinetta seems like a good lady. She welcomed us in and seated us nicely... too bad she couldn't be our waitress.

Funny story actually. The couple beside us who was complaining about the food brought it up with Antoinetta. She thought they were talking about the room being cold, not the food and ended up bringing this woman a shawl to keep warm. The woman almost had an aneurysm. It was hilarious. But Antoinetta did end up taking the woman's food to get get heated up... unfortunately the lady didn't get her food back for about 20 minutes (after her date was done eating).

It's too bad my girlfriend and I didn't get the bald waiter, he seemed to be fairly good. Instead we got some other punk.

3G
02-15-2006, 11:27 AM
If that was me I woulda walked out without paying or something

kaput
02-15-2006, 11:31 AM

YamaLube
02-15-2006, 11:37 AM
The first time there was epic, great food, service wine etc. But we made another reservation on our anniversary, got there 10 minutes early, and she told us it would be 45 minutes, and turned to ask another couple about their reservation, I said excuse me but we had a reservation. She held up her hand to me in a "talk to the hand" kind of way, and said "yeah yeah, 45 minutes."

I couldn't beleive it, it was the rudest thing I have ever seen from a business owner. Needless to say we left and ate elsewhere.

The food there is amazing, and the service was perfect last time, but it really didn't seem that she valued her customers, she must be making waaayyy too much money.

My advice, buy her cookbook and make it yourself at home for your girlfriend, she will appreciate it more........

B17a
02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Well, I learned long ago not to go out for dinner on Valentine's Day, we always go a day or two earlier. Its just not going to be that great, packed restaurant + stressed out staff = potentially shit service and potentially so-so food.

sputnik
02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Next time dont go there on Valentines Day. ALL restaurants are substandard on Valentines Day.

We have a staff Christmas dinner there every year and the food is always incredible. I have also been there a number of times for dinner with a smaller party and I have never been disappointed.

sputnik
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Well, I learned long ago not to go out for dinner on Valentine's Day, we always go a day or two earlier. Its just not going to be that great, packed restaurant + stressed out staff = potentially shit service and potentially so-so food.

:werd: x 10

No kidding. Not to mention the husbands desperate to make the dinner "just perfect" and to prove that their woman deserves "only the best".

I am sure waiters/waitresses hear more complaints than anything on that dreaded day.

lint
02-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JiggaMan
I too have heard great things. However, I will never go back there again because the first experience was so bad.

Antoinetta seems like a good lady. She welcomed us in and seated us nicely... too bad she couldn't be our waitress.

Funny story actually. The couple beside us who was complaining about the food brought it up with Antoinetta. She thought they were talking about the room being cold, not the food and ended up bringing this woman a shawl to keep warm. The woman almost had an aneurysm. It was hilarious. But Antoinetta did end up taking the woman's food to get get heated up... unfortunately the lady didn't get her food back for about 20 minutes (after her date was done eating).

It's too bad my girlfriend and I didn't get the bald waiter, he seemed to be fairly good. Instead we got some other punk.

I had a similar experience about 5 years ago when I went there for a valentine's day dinner. Pricey meal, set menu with wine came out to $130 I think. Service was horrendous. Our waiter was crap (older Italian guy). Took forever to come take the order, then after waiting 30+ mins for salad, we find out he forgot about it. On a SET MENU. Idiot, and then has the nerve to ask us if we still want it! Never stopped by to check on us, never stopped by to pour our wine, but was quite attentive to the older white couple seated next to us. Talk about a mistake chosing that place for a nice dinner.

The worst service I've ever received, and I refuse to step foot in that place ever again as well.

Vagabond142
02-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Jigga: Next time you want to take the lady out for a great meal with superb atmosphere and great prices, I HEAVILY recommend Da Guido's. Their service is like 7.5/5 stars (seriously, we had barely had our coats off and I was just sitting down with my friend (her grad dinner, my treat) when the waiter was RIGHT THERE, already pouring glasses of water for us), food is excellent, nice little place with great atmosphere, and the food arrives stinking hot, with decent portions (especially the pasta dishes).

It's also great when the owner, Guido Pascera (I think that's his last name), is there at the front welcoming people. Added that superb "pride" factor to the restaurant when the freakin OWNER is the guy that seats you, and does so with a huge smile. Ever since Ercole closed a few years ago, Da Guido's is pretty much the ONLY restaurant I will take people to, it is that good.

This place gets my absolute HIGHEST rating, and I'm sure many other Beyonders will agree, as it was a thread on Beyond that made me try the place :thumbsup:

Da Guido Ristorante
2001 Centre Street, N.
Calgary, Alberta
T2E 2S9

Phone for reservations: 276-1365

legendboy
02-15-2006, 12:45 PM
La dolce vita is nice for valentines day also

JiggaMan
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Jigga: Next time you want to take the lady out for a great meal with superb atmosphere and great prices, I HEAVILY recommend Da Guido's. Their service is like 7.5/5 stars (seriously, we had barely had our coats off and I was just sitting down with my friend (her grad dinner, my treat) when the waiter was RIGHT THERE, already pouring glasses of water for us), food is excellent, nice little place with great atmosphere, and the food arrives stinking hot, with decent portions (especially the pasta dishes).

It's also great when the owner, Guido Pascera (I think that's his last name), is there at the front welcoming people. Added that superb "pride" factor to the restaurant when the freakin OWNER is the guy that seats you, and does so with a huge smile. Ever since Ercole closed a few years ago, Da Guido's is pretty much the ONLY restaurant I will take people to, it is that good.

This place gets my absolute HIGHEST rating, and I'm sure many other Beyonders will agree, as it was a thread on Beyond that made me try the place :thumbsup:

Da Guido Ristorante
2001 Centre Street, N.
Calgary, Alberta
T2E 2S9

Phone for reservations: 276-1365

I seem to have read the same reviews at a few places. I will definitly have to try it, thanks for the suggestion.

ZorroAMG
02-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Da Guido's- :thumbsup:
Da Paolo's on 17th and Centre SW- :thumbsup:
Osteria- comme ci comme ca.... hit or miss

sputnik
02-15-2006, 01:43 PM
I think this discussion should be more along the lines of which Italian restaurant was good on Valentines Day. In general I find most places to be pretty decent any other day. It just seems like Valentines Day in general is probably the worst night of the year to go out for dinner.

Foz
02-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Appears to me that most couples go out to eat at an Italian restaurant for V-day??

I went as well, but a few days earlier.

Better service, less stress and better price.

Ben
02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
I reviewed it here:

Wasn't bad at all. Wasn't great either, but it wasn't valentines day.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96525

~Leah~
02-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Never been there, but on Saturday we went to Packrat Louie's in Edmonton for Valentine's dinner and the service was HORRIBLE. I told my bf to not leave a tip... or if he did leave one, if it was over $5 I would slap him. He left $10, so I slapped him twice as hard. I can't stand when people still leave 15% even when the service was horrible just because it's the courteous thing to do.

This waitress was a bitch, took her at least 20 mins to come get our order. We order a wine... with huge attitude she goes, "That's a sweet wine." No shit, if I needed to know that, I would have asked ya dumb bitch. BF orders his food, no comment, I order my food, insert attitude again, "That's a pasta." Really?? So THATS why it says penne on there, I had no fucking idea what that was. Then yeah she wasn't around for pretty much any of the meal.

Sorry to hijack. Just wanted to vent and didn't want to start my own thread. Carry on.

sputnik
02-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
in Edmonton

nuff said... :D

When I am in Edmonton the only place that I really like going to is the Sawmill for a steak... and more importantly... their homemade steak sauce.

:drool: :drool:

FatboyTheHungry
02-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Dunno, I have eaten at Osteria de Medici quite often, and I have never had a bad experience (but never on Valentine's day). Valentines day is the busiest dining day of the year though, and I can't say I've had very many spectacular dining experiences on Valentines anywhere... :dunno:

B17a
02-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry
Dunno, I have eaten at Osteria de Medici quite often, and I have never had a bad experience (but never on Valentine's day). Valentines day is the busiest dining day of the year though, and I can't say I've had very many spectacular dining experiences on Valentines anywhere... :dunno:

With a name like yours, sounds like you'd be happy eating out of a dumpster!:D :D j/k of course....please don't eat me!:angel:

Nissanaddict
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM

With a name like yours, sounds like you'd be happy eating out of a dumpster!:D :D j/k of course....please don't eat me!:angel:

The guy in your avatar HAS eaten out of a dumpster (at least as Costanza) lol.

l8braker
02-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Never been there, but on Saturday we went to Packrat Louie's in Edmonton for Valentine's dinner and the service was HORRIBLE. I told my bf to not leave a tip... or if he did leave one, if it was over $5 I would slap him. He left $10, so I slapped him twice as hard. I can't stand when people still leave 15% even when the service was horrible just because it's the courteous thing to do.

This waitress was a bitch, took her at least 20 mins to come get our order. We order a wine... with huge attitude she goes, "That's a sweet wine." No shit, if I needed to know that, I would have asked ya dumb bitch. BF orders his food, no comment, I order my food, insert attitude again, "That's a pasta." Really?? So THATS why it says penne on there, I had no fucking idea what that was. Then yeah she wasn't around for pretty much any of the meal.

Sorry to hijack. Just wanted to vent and didn't want to start my own thread. Carry on.

Whoa, tell beyond how you really feel!

B17a
02-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict

The guy in your avatar HAS eaten out of a dumpster (at least as Costanza) lol.

Hahaha, talk about irony, I didn't even think about it!:rofl:

Nissanaddict
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Haha. "It was on TOP..." "was it bittten?" "well...once, but I KNOW who bit it!"

max_boost
02-15-2006, 05:23 PM
My buddy always told me that some guy name Rocco (his family friend) owned Osteria, unless if he's that lady's husband?

Anyway, do you have to look a certain way to get excellent service at these nice restaurants? Should you walk in and pull your server aside, give him $25 and say, dude I want everything to be perfect??? :dunno:

It's busy everywhere on Valentines. Very stressful for us restaurant workers, we want to make things right. I had to turn away 3-4 orders last night so I could make sure we had enough time to get things done right.

JiggaMan
02-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
My buddy always told me that some guy name Rocco (his family friend) owned Osteria, unless if he's that lady's husband?

Anyway, do you have to look a certain way to get excellent service at these nice restaurants? Should you walk in and pull your server aside, give him $25 and say, dude I want everything to be perfect??? :dunno:

It's busy everywhere on Valentines. Very stressful for us restaurant workers, we want to make things right. I had to turn away 3-4 orders last night so I could make sure we had enough time to get things done right.

I understand it will be very busy on valentines day.. but instead of risking the customer experience, why not close off a couple tables and limit the number of people allowed in? I would think a fancy place like Osteria would be more concerned about a respectable experience, as opposed to making a bit more money by forcing in a few extra tables. I'm sure they make more than enough $.

I dunno, just my $0.02

bspot
02-15-2006, 05:52 PM
I was there about a year or two ago on a VERY quiet night, only 2 other tables seated with what appeared to be regulars. Me and my girlfriend at the time were treated like shit, the portions were tiny, our water was never refilled, I ordered a beer that never came and I was still charged for it. No apology when I pointed this out. There was some $25 or $50 seating fee... WTF??

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE.

I've never felt so god damn ripped off in my whole life.

EDIT: Forgot to add my recomendation.

Abruzzo Restorante, downtown on 4th ave and 10th street is GREAT. The owner still cooks there, and the pride he takes in it is evident. The food is better than any other Italian I've had, and while on the expensive side is not rediculous like Osteria. I leave there feeling full every time and the service is amazing.

+1 for Abruzzo

max_boost
02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Yah you have certain expectations when you are paying that much for a meal. It's really disappointing, that's why I much rather frequent the low end joints like CAlgary Court :D

Seanith
02-15-2006, 07:29 PM

I've played golf with Rocco and he was pretty much a douche bag... someone I know works at his restaurant and says hes an asshole too.. so :dunno:

civic_stylez
02-15-2006, 07:29 PM
thats really surprising, rocco and antionetta used to be my neighbours and are really great people, christmas dinner at their place was awesome. they must have been short staffed or something but that is really sad to hear. i hope their not going downhill!

Hakkola
02-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
La dolce vita is nice for valentines day also

I can't comment on the service because I went on a slow afternoon, but the food is spectacular. I think the owner has a lambo which I think is pretty cool, they have $7000 bottle of wine on the menu too, maybe one day when I have stupid money I'll go back for it. ;)

It was a good experience there, the owner was very nice, and the food was amazing.

theken
02-15-2006, 08:35 PM
u guys are ballers with your girlfriends haha i went to bagoloc haha spent 35 bucks for the 2 of us

GTS Jeff
02-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by theken
u guys are ballers with your girlfriends haha i went to bagoloc haha spent 35 bucks for the 2 of us Yeah no shit eh...

I spent maybe $10 total for the V-day dinner..

Nissanaddict
02-16-2006, 01:06 AM
How many McDeals was that GTS Jeff?

sputnik
02-16-2006, 08:15 AM

He's Antoinetta's husband (and also the head cook).

Nissanaddict
02-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Hmm...well I just gotta pipe in that I've been to Osteria once, and it was excellent, I couldn't really complain. But maybe my service was related to the fact that I was there with the family, as opposed to just a woman. *shrug* who knows. I will definitely go back....but will also try Da Guido since it seems to be a good one according to the beyond.ca community.

auscan
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
We only went to Osteria a couple of weeks again and it was excellent. No complaints at all about the food or service.

I've noticed that no one has mentioned the Villa Firenze. Excellent food!!! and service. We've been there several times. Last time had the special which was seafood lasagne - amazing and quite a large portion too.

Villa Firenze
610 1 Avenue NE, Calgary, AB T2E 0B6
(403) 264-4297

B17a
03-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Gotta add my 2 cents.

I went last week for dinner with 7 co-workers. Now I've been to probably most of Calgary's high end establishements at least once over the years and I can say this was one of the best if not THE best meals I have ever had. Service was excellent, however my company is a frequent customer and we usually come as a large group and spend quite large there so I think we get treated differently. However, service was great. The food was fantastic. We couldn't decide what to order so Antoinetta suggested the Chef's menu which is basically the Chef making whatever he wants for us. The highlight was a veal chop about 3/4" thick and just unbelievable. It wasn't cheap as we were close to $1500 when we were done but cot dayum!!:drool: :drool:

I have only been there as a large group spending equally large so I don't doubt that the service is a bit better in that situation. I understand the Flames eat there before home games, so that's a good enough reason for me!:thumbsup:

madmazda
03-17-2006, 03:47 PM
When all else fails go to SUGO in inglewood, the owners are awesome food is incredable service is the best....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gooseberry
03-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Holy shit $1500? :eek:

I could never justify spending that much for one night even if it is for 8 People, but then i don't eat at these high end places.

B17a
03-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Gooseberry
Holy shit $1500? :eek:

I could never justify spending that much for one night even if it is for 8 People, but then i don't eat at these high end places.

Expense account my friend, expense accounts!:bigpimp: