PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake for 97 Probe??

VWbloke
02-15-2006, 09:25 PM
My friend has a '97 Probe GT and he wants a cold air intake for it. Trouble is, when he went to some tuner shop to enquire about it, they told him that he was outta luck because his car was an automatic and not a manual.

Seems a little weird to me. I mean, what does an intake have to do with the transmission? Or are the airboxes / plumbing on a Probe different between the manual and auto?

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great.

Oh, and if you know of any intakes for a Probe, lemme know so I can tell my buddy.

Thanks.

CIVIC_MAN
02-16-2006, 12:07 PM
I looked on the Injen site and they only sell ram air intakes for that car, i dont get it. AEM doesn't sell them for probes, maybe he really is out of luck. unless you custom fab something. I guess he will never get that extra 5hp..:rofl:

hockeybronx
02-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by VWbloke
My friend has a '97 Probe GT and he wants a cold air intake for it. Trouble is, when he went to some tuner shop to enquire about it, they told him that he was outta luck because his car was an automatic and not a manual.

Seems a little weird to me. I mean, what does an intake have to do with the transmission? Or are the airboxes / plumbing on a Probe different between the manual and auto?

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great.

Oh, and if you know of any intakes for a Probe, lemme know so I can tell my buddy.

Thanks.

What performance shop did he go to? I highly doubt transmission has anything to do with air intake.

Honestly his best bet is either to custom fabricate something (as others have done here on Beyond) or just to go Canadian Tire and buy a K&N filter.

EK 2.0
02-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

What performance shop did he go to? I highly doubt transmission has anything to do with air intake.

Honestly his best bet is either to custom fabricate something (as others have done here on Beyond) or just to go Canadian Tire and buy a K&N filter.

Actually it can make a difference. RSX Intakes can vary for Auto to 5 speed...

VWbloke
02-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I think he went to Speedtech and the guy there said that there's only an intake for the 5-speed.

Looks like he may be S.O.L. and have to make do without the intake afterall.

Thanks for the input, fellas.

:)

CIVIC_MAN
02-17-2006, 12:03 AM
who knew:dunno:

hockeybronx
02-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by CIVIC_MAN
who knew:dunno:

Yeah no kidding, I guess I learned something new today, however I'd like to read up on it more... it still sounds kind of sketchy to me.

Lets face it, people talk a lot of crap here on Beyond.:D

VWbloke
02-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Well, if you find out anything to the contrary, lemme know!

Cheers.

Weapon_R
02-17-2006, 08:01 PM
It's very possible that the position of the auto tranny is different than the 5spd.

CIVIC_MAN
02-18-2006, 04:38 PM
how does the tranny have anything to do with a cai?

Bill Cosby
02-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
It's very possible that the position of the auto tranny is different than the 5spd.

how does the tranny have anything to do with a cai?

CIVIC_MAN
02-18-2006, 07:04 PM
wow Cosby such an informative answer, thank you so much for that philsophical insight

-Jay21-
02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
There are cheap ones on ebay supposedly for manual and automatics. Not sure if I'd go near a home made intake though.

A790
02-18-2006, 11:36 PM
wow Cosby such an informative answer, thank you so much for that philsophical insight

Wow, what a lame answer. Thank you so much for being an ass :thumbsup:

Bill Cosby
02-19-2006, 12:55 PM
what did you want me to put the word location in a sentence for you?

the location of the transmission on an automatic ford probe probably limits the space available for a cold air intake system

:rolleyes: