PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS plays TV, Web

treg50
02-16-2006, 09:49 AM
It was just a matter of time and now Nintendo's announced it and it's going to feature an Opera (http://www.opera.com/) web browser! I've never had one or wanted one, but man oh man, the GameBoy is kicking so much ass, like it or not. Amidst all the 360-power and PS3-hype, the legendary Nintendo is still there. Go Nintendo Go! (Nintendogs? Brilliant!)

----------------------------------------

Nintendo DS plays TV, Web
Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:51 AM ET

By John Gaudiosi

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Nintendo is expanding the entertainment capabilities of its best-selling Nintendo DS, making it possible to watch live television and surf the Internet using the dual-screen portable game device.

Oslo, Norway-based Opera Software is creating a Web browser for the handheld that will work with the built-in Wi-Fi functionality of the Nintendo DS. Once gamers buy the browser, which will come on a standard cartridge, they will be able to surf the Web on both the touch-sensitive and regular screens using the stylus and on-screen keypad for input.

A U.S. launch is expected later this year, after the device's Japanese debut in April.

A separate Nintendo DS card is in development that comes with a TV tuner and antenna that will allow gamers to watch digital TV broadcasts. U.S. release plans for this product have not been announced.

Nintendo also is rolling out additional features for the Nintendo DS, which so far has sold more than 14.4 million units. Starting next month, gamers will be able to download game demos, trailers and other content via retail kiosks that send content over Wi-Fi. Nintendo is also introducing Voice-over-Internet-Protocol with new games that will allow players to use the built-in microphone to talk in real time before and after online matches of games like "Metroid Prime: Hunters."

In November, Nintendo partnered with Wayport to allow gamers free Wi-Fi hot spots at more than 6,000 McDonald's restaurants. When coupled with the new Opera software, gamers would be able to play online games or search the Web at these hot spots for free, or log into thousands of other hot spots around the country at the standard rate.

(Chris Marlowe contributed to this report.)

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

87Supra
02-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Viva La Nintendo :D

93hustler
02-23-2006, 07:44 PM
I am right now debating on buying a PSP. The more I hear about DS the more I like it

Bill Cosby
03-06-2006, 03:12 PM
psp is seizure prone

eb0i
03-07-2006, 05:23 PM
I have a DS and this is awesome news!!!

kevie88
03-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I dunno if this would be of any use at all for me.. I already have a tv and a computer! haha

And Nintendo's games are seriously for kids.. Nintendogs? bah!

Gooseberry
03-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
I dunno if this would be of any use at all for me.. I already have a tv and a computer! haha

And Nintendo's games are seriously for kids.. Nintendogs? bah!

Actually play their games and you'll change your mind.:burnout:

mo_virgin
03-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Wait for DS lite guys, its gonna slimmer and sexier.

Xtrema
03-08-2006, 09:02 AM
There's an VNC-like app for DS where you can remote control PCs.