PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai just as reliable as Honda!

Aleks
03-12-2003, 03:18 PM
http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=4783

The survey shows Toyota most reliable at 10 serious defects per 100 vehicles, in second Honda and Hyuandai with 11 defects per 100 cars

GTS Jeff
03-12-2003, 03:23 PM
oh great!

T5_X
03-12-2003, 03:37 PM
I don't trust consumer reports statistics under 5 years old. You can't really make too much of a statement of vehicle reliability after just a couple years from being produced, new vehicles always have recalls.
I remember my dad bought an Expedition new in 98 (99 model) with consumer reports reliability rating high, and they recommended it. The following year, they recommended against getting an expedition due to reliability problems.... same generation as the previous one.
Similarily, the new generation of Ranger was praised by consumer reports in 98 and 99, but now they don't recommend it anymore for 00+ due to reliability, despite it being the same generation.

Its a car's ability to stand up to many years of being driven that makes it reliable. In that whole report they list only once that the defects were "serious" once. I highly doubt that the best an automaker can do for a BRAND NEW vehicle is 10% serious problems.

mwmhong
03-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Owners told the magazine about serious problems that they experienced with their vehicles over the preceding 12 months.

12 months? :rofl:

"12 whole MONTHS? Well, gee whiz!"

KoukiS14
03-12-2003, 04:08 PM
hmm thats super...

hey GTS hows yours holdin up these days..hahahaah

HK2NR
03-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by NismoS14
hmm thats super...

hey GTS hows yours holdin up these days..hahahaah

ahha it's a Spec R-AC "R-Tuned Edition"
hell those things will last forever!

benyl
03-12-2003, 05:03 PM
If we like it or not, Hyundai has had no choice but to get better. You cannot say that the new cars are pieces of crap like the original that burned oil 20 minutes after you drove them off the lot.

Honestly people I have talked to that own them have had no problems. In the states, there are a lot more people who own them and some peeps even like them.

There was a time when people wouldn't be caught in a japanese made automobile (first Civic). Look at where Toyota and Honda are now.

What is funny is how where you are dictates the quality of car. When I was in southern California, peeps who need reliable cars don't buy Nissan. The classic quote was "Only Mexicans drive Nissan." I guess Nissans just don't last in the hussle and bussle of LA.

Here in Canada though, Nissan has a good rep. It is all relative. You can't blame someone for not spending more money on an overpriced Toyota or Honda. For the price of my Honda, I could have bought 2 Hyundai Spec R-AC "R-Tuned Edition!" :rofl:

syeve
03-12-2003, 06:39 PM
anybody who wants to buy a hyundai feel free, they are not complete peices of shit...I'll stick to honda though.

Glowrider
03-12-2003, 07:05 PM
I have to admit that their cars have gotten A LOT better over the years. They just need to shed the Hyundai name, it haunts them, and forever will. I really doubt the masses will look at Hyundai's as anything other than economy cars.

Silencer
03-12-2003, 07:20 PM
That's funny.
Of course Hyundai really has been trying to improve lately.

Zephyr
03-12-2003, 07:27 PM
hyundai hired a group of GERMAN engineers, explains the bigger improvement from the crap bucket before.

RiceCake
03-14-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
hyundai hired a group of GERMAN engineers, explains the bigger improvement from the crap bucket before.

Wow, now they're gonna start ripping off german car ideas? :confused: :D

Stratus_Power
03-14-2003, 01:29 AM
isnt that quite obvious from the new design tiburon :P well might not be german but definitly Europe :P and it aint a bad thing hehe, Honda did it w/ their accord :P

GTS Jeff
03-14-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
isnt that quite obvious from the new design tiburon :P well might not be german but definitly Europe :P and it aint a bad thing hehe, Honda did it w/ their accord :P cept the accord doesnt look like it was designed by 12 year olds

three.eighteen.
03-14-2003, 08:19 AM
heh...i saw a hyundai in 2nd place for 1 stage of the turkey rally after that they just fell behind...cant be all that bad...and i suppose it gives the hyundai tuners something to aspire to...