PDA

View Full Version : Construction/Electrician?

trueno717
02-16-2006, 10:28 PM
what qualifications are required to get into construction or electrician jobs? I have a friend who is in highschool in apprentice program and is making good money. Do you need to have a highschool diploma for construction? Because ive heard that you dont really need one for that kind of work but my friend will be going back to school in sept and just wanted to get started in one of those fields asap I mean if you need the highschool dip to get it thats ok he just wants to start out in something hes gonna be doing anyways but if he has to go back to school first (10 credits short :D ) then he would just like to know the companys that usually hire around jan feb for a reference point for next year. Thx alot this should help him out alot!

danno
02-16-2006, 11:17 PM
as far as getting a job it won't be a problem anytime this year, as it is super busy everywhere.

the electrical question, you need to finish highschool with math20, 2 grade 11 science, i think english33

just call sait ask them, as for construction i'm pretty sure he could walk on as a concrete finsher or rod buster. but those aren't the best jobs

HuMz
02-17-2006, 02:00 AM
with the exception of electrician and plumber, any other trade doesn't require a high school diploma (most being grade 9 minimum)

trueno717
02-17-2006, 11:43 PM
anyone know any actual construction companys that are hiring? thx

Sophal
02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
You do not need to have your diploma or the pre-reqs really even. You can take an entrance exam at the apprenticeship board office. i believe it cost like a 100 bucks to take the test.

Edit: If you're under the age of 24, the calgary construction association has programs for youths who wish to get into a trade.

check www.cca.cc for info on the youth employment program

or can also check www.tradesecrets.org for a list of all the trades and job profiles.