PDA

View Full Version : clavicle surgury?

DC2
02-17-2006, 11:22 AM
has anyone ever broken their clavicle??

hows the healing on it?

apparently i fractured it in 2 places and a peice of my bone is chipping off.

has anyone ever gotten surgury on it?

lets hear it thanks guys!

1-Bar
02-17-2006, 01:44 PM
which ends or peices did you break?? Hopefully not on your scapula side....

DC2
02-17-2006, 05:11 PM
through the mid shaft

xrayvsn
02-17-2006, 05:49 PM
I have seen a lot of these come across the viewer, and only 1 case over the last 4 years has been surgically repaired. Are you actually getting surgical reduction for this?

The vast majority of clavicular fractures end up being treated conservatively, even those that are quite displaced or comminuted (many pieces). They will heal regardless, though if there is a lot of displacement you may have a residual bump. In the end, it should not affect your mobility, since the clavicle has limited motion as it is, and serves more as a platform for muscles to pull from.

Khyron
02-18-2006, 01:42 AM
Busted mine, they sent me home in a sling that night, with drugs. Pretty big bump, and I was worried it would be weaker, but apparently it should be even harder to break again. Sleeping in a chair for a week was very lame.

Khyron

1-Bar
02-18-2006, 02:27 PM
healing on a clavicle fracture is the same as healing on any other fractured bone,.....slow.

Was your fracture complete or incomplete?? (ie. all the way through the bone?) If it is incomplete is should heal relatively faster then a complete fracture......

DC2
02-18-2006, 04:00 PM
straight through.

hold on. maybe some of you guys can translate this...

there is a predominantly transverse fracture of the mid left clavicle, with one full bone width (1.5cm) superior displacement of the more proximal fracture fragment and 2.2 cm of impacton/override of the fracture fragments. The cortical ends of both fracture is acute altough it could be related to avascular necrosis in these small areas of bone if the fracture is more remote.

the coracoclavicular and acromioclavicular ligaments apper to be intact, with no displacement in these locations. No other fractures were identified.

IMPRESSION:

moderatel displaced fracture through the mid shaft of the clavicle, presumably acute bit if more remote healing is poor.

xrayvsn
02-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah, it just says that you have a transverse (straight across) break in the mid part of the clavicle. The part that is closer to the middle is higher than the part closer to the shoulder by 1.5cm, or about the width of the bone. The bones overlap a little bit (2.2cm).

It looks like the injury is recent. If it isn't, then it is not healing as well as the radiologist would expect.

I would be very surprised if you had any other therapy than a sling, pain medication, and time.

*edit* The parts about the coracoclavicular and acromioclavicular ligaments indicate that there does not seem to be an associated AC (acromioclavicular) separation. Basically there are a couple of ligaments that hold the far end of the clavicle to the scapula to help form the shoulder. Clavicle fractures and AC separations can be associated injuries, though usually if there is a fracture, the AC and CC ligaments stay intact. The energy of the trauma is dissipated by breaking the bone, not the ligaments.

00redLUDE
02-19-2006, 01:37 AM
How long ago did you fracture your clavicle? Do you not trust the advice that was given to you by the physician that ordered that x-ray? Anyways, from the radiology report you have written your fracture does not require surgical correction. All that is needed is conservative management. It was, however, a very bad fracture. The fracture usu. takes about 6 weeks to heal and you should get a follow up x-ray in about 6 weeks. If you trust the physician you saw and he/she sounded knowledgeable in the management of you fracture then you should just follow what they had to say. Hope that helps.