PDA

View Full Version : Amino Acids

gggunit
02-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Anyone taking Amino's .. if so which brands and have you noticed a difference compared to when you did not take them?

Im thinkng about adding glutamine to my supplement ..

so It would be Protien powder and aminos

00CivicSi
02-17-2006, 03:16 PM
You mean free form amino's. Glutamine is usually a good supp to add. Probaly the most under rated supplement. As far as brand wise goes, I'm pretty sure they are all the same now. I have used Allmax, Prolab, Forever Fit and the ISS brand. No difference, maybe just texture and mixability. Take like a teaspoon after your workout and a teaspoon before you hit the sack.

rith
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I have a kg of prolab glutamine and it mixes well into water and glutamine doesnt taste like anything. I even mix it with my cereal too.

gggunit
02-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Best place to pick it up from?

00CivicSi
02-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Popeyes, internet, or local gym proshop :thumbsup:

It's really cheap so buy it bulk

gggunit
02-17-2006, 04:47 PM
My Protein Powder comes with Glutamine would that be enough or should I be adding more?

kaput
02-17-2006, 05:42 PM

rith
02-17-2006, 05:53 PM
supplement.. google is your friend.:thumbsup:

00CivicSi
02-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by gggunit
My Protein Powder comes with Glutamine would that be enough or should I be adding more?

You can add more. There isn't any studies to support how much is too much. So usually on the safe side take 10-15 grams a day. A heaping teaspoon is usually 5 grams

1-Bar
02-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Whats this stuff do?

speeds up muscle cell repair/healing, increases your immune system defence, and prevents catabolism....:thumbsup:

Gorilla
02-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Increases GH in the body as well.

ecstasy_civic
02-24-2006, 02:45 PM
I just bought 3lbs of glutamine, I take roughly 20-25g a day. Mix it in with my protein shake and im ready to roll:thumbsup:

Toma
02-25-2006, 12:11 PM
If you eat right, 99% of these supplements are bullshit....

Having said that, no one eats right lol....

ecstasy_civic
02-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Toma
If you eat right, 99% of these supplements are bullshit....

Having said that, no one eats right lol....

Its a HUGE pain in the ass to eat right lol
Its expensive, time consuming and hard to eat on the go lol

Im finding all this out:banghead:

antoniobeyond
03-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Um...u know amino acids are what make up protien right? LOL, consume lots of protien. Done and done.

Gondi Stylez
03-02-2006, 04:07 PM
these amino acid supplements are :bullshit:

i highly doubt they have any benefit on your body size, structure on overall wellbeing. but hey why only take glu? take all 20...:nut:

00CivicSi
03-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
these amino acid supplements are :bullshit:

i highly doubt they have any benefit on your body size, structure on overall wellbeing. but hey why only take glu? take all 20...:nut:

Do you even know what Amino acids are?? Where they are from??If they are garbage then why is it that Glutamine is the most widely used Amino acid in Cancer patients, Burn Victims, AID's patients, IBS or chrones Patients. Why is L- Lysine used to get rid of cold sores?? Man I can go on and on.....

Gondi Stylez
03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

Its a HUGE pain in the ass to eat right lol
Its expensive, time consuming and hard to eat on the go lol

Im finding all this out:banghead:

IMHO i dont think it is expensive to eat "RIGHT" and it is by no means time consuming. if by time consuming you mean mcdicks vs. 10 min sandwich making then i think there is a problem...

i also think eating right has to do with how the food is prepared... for example, steaming vs. frying or sauteeing w/ butter/fat... veg are now readily available frozen and the quality is superior. tey are harvested at peak season and the process in which they are frozen (flash freezing) retains all their essential oils/vitamins/nutrients...

invest in a $10 bamboo steamer and go at 'er with fish, veg, potatoes, etc.

once you have learned the techniques (the only time consuming part IMO) you will find that eating "right" is easy... healthy versions of your favorites dont have to be bland or boring.

my 0.02

Gondi Stylez
03-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 00CivicSi

Do you even know what Amino acids are?? Where they are from??If they are garbage then why is it that Glutamine is the most widely used Amino acid in Cancer patients, Burn Victims, AID's patients, IBS or chrones Patients. Why is L- Lysine used to get rid of cold sores?? Man I can go on and on.....

actully i DO know what aa are and what they do and all biochem behind it... i 100% agree that they have uses above and beyond protein synthesis, etc. BUT i have yet to read any literature stating that the "excessive" (whatever value that may be) of 1 or more of the 20 aa to be benefical to your health in the process of bulking or staying fit.

the examples you gave are clinical ones and that is in a whole other category then what the topic of discussion in this thread is (unless i missed something)!

thanks though!:thumbsup:

antoniobeyond
03-02-2006, 04:23 PM
glutamine is not bad, but eat 300g of protien a day and you'll be getting plenty of glutamine anyways. The comment about burn victims is not really applicable.

00CivicSi
03-02-2006, 04:26 PM
So if a cancer patient or a burn victim uses Glutamine to heal, restore muscle mass they have lost and to slow any furthur muscle break down, wouldn't it be viable to say, a person lifting heavy weights could also use it to help recover and slow muscle break down. Not sure if this is an old wives tale but I once learned that recovery time is very essencial to growth, correct me if I'm wrong.

antoniobeyond
03-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Well I see your logic, but it is flawed. The reason these victims need to take gluatime on its own is because they either are not or cannot be fed 200-300g of protien per day. There is 17.27g of gluatime per 100g of protien in a typical breakdown.

00CivicSi
03-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by antoniobeyond
Well I see your logic, but it is flawed. The reason these victims need to take gluatime on its own is because they either are not or cannot be fed 200-300g of protien per day. There is 17.27g of gluatime per 100g of protien in a typical breakdown.

The point is, it's a prime example of what 1 single amino acid can do for your body. By using Glutamine in a free form you isolate what the single amino acid can do, used for recovery. The main of this topic is using 1 single amino acid.

antoniobeyond
03-02-2006, 04:44 PM
I thought the topic of this thread was to determine if taking amino acid pills was worth your time in the application of building lean muscle mass. Think and then type...in that order.

ecstasy_civic
03-02-2006, 04:56 PM

IMHO i dont think it is expensive to eat "RIGHT" and it is by no means time consuming. if by time consuming you mean mcdicks vs. 10 min sandwich making then i think there is a problem...

i also think eating right has to do with how the food is prepared... for example, steaming vs. frying or sauteeing w/ butter/fat... veg are now readily available frozen and the quality is superior. tey are harvested at peak season and the process in which they are frozen (flash freezing) retains all their essential oils/vitamins/nutrients...

invest in a $10 bamboo steamer and go at 'er with fish, veg, potatoes, etc.

once you have learned the techniques (the only time consuming part IMO) you will find that eating "right" is easy... healthy versions of your favorites dont have to be bland or boring.

my 0.02

Thanks for your 0.02, but I wasnt looking for it.

Im more than capable of creating a diet that suits my needs, im just stating for my schedule, it is hard, and what I choose to eat CAN be expensive. As far as you telling me techniques on "eating right" :rofl:

antoniobeyond
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Eating is the most time consuming and expensive part of bodybuilding.

ecstasy_civic
03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Eating is the most time consuming and expensive part of bodybuilding.

DING DING:clap:

antoniobeyond
03-02-2006, 05:45 PM
haha sounds like u actually workout!

ecstasy_civic
03-02-2006, 05:52 PM
haha sounds like u actually workout!

me? no:poosie:

2002civic
03-02-2006, 06:55 PM

me? no:poosie: :rofl: :rofl: yeah he NEVER works out, laziest kid i know;)

antoniobeyond
03-02-2006, 07:55 PM
What i mean is your advice seems to come from knowledge from real world experience. It gets tired trying to help little brats who think they know everything because they read the latest fitness book.

ecstasy_civic
03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
What i mean is your advice seems to come from knowledge from real world experience. It gets tired trying to help little brats who think they know everything because they read the latest fitness book.

Ive done alot of trial and error to see what works and what doesnt.
Granted ive had some help along the way, but for the most part, everything good has come from hard work.

Ive yo-yo'd in weight trying different things, in 5yrs I went from a scrawny 140lbs to a semi solid 218 and now im a SOLID 185.
My diet is my worst enemy, and like I said, with my schedule, it makes it 10x harder.

Gondi Stylez
03-02-2006, 10:54 PM

Thanks for your 0.02, but I wasnt looking for it.

Im more than capable of creating a diet that suits my needs, im just stating for my schedule, it is hard, and what I choose to eat CAN be expensive. As far as you telling me techniques on "eating right" :rofl:

My post was not supposed to knock you eating schedule. Also, by "techniques" I was talking about cooking methods.

Sorry if you felt like I was attacking you! :thumbsup:

Gondi Stylez
03-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I thought the topic of this thread was to determine if taking amino acid pills was worth your time in the application of building lean muscle mass. Think and then type...in that order.

:werd:

ecstasy_civic
03-02-2006, 11:04 PM

My post was not supposed to knock you eating schedule. Also, by "techniques" I was talking about cooking methods.

Sorry if you felt like I was attacking you! :thumbsup:

No worries, just making sure lol dont like being told how I should change my habits:rofl: :angel:

pinoyhero
03-03-2006, 10:48 PM
I've heard glutamine is very underrated. Planning on giving it a whirl when I make my next oreder at supcan, I'll let you guys know if I feel a diff.

Mckenzie
03-06-2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Flax