PDA

View Full Version : Review: Da Michelangelo Restaurante

A790
02-17-2006, 03:05 PM
The girlfriend and I went on down to Da Michelangelo Restaurante last night, and I thought I'd share everything with you guys.

From the outside, this place looks like a house. That's not a problem, considering that it *was* a house before it was converted into a restaurant. It tends to give off two vibes: a quaint, unique little spot, or a creepy, gonna try it just cause kind of place.

The girlfriend got the first vibe, whilst I got the second.

Anyways, in we go.

First Impressions
My first thought: the friggin floor is slanted. Second thought: what smells so good?

The hostess takes us up a flight of narrow (and low- watch your head) stairs and sits us at a table in a room where there's only one other small little table. Wow, talk about romantic.

First beef: the lighting sucks. It was dim, trying to be romantic, but it wound up being just that... dim. A candle on the table was a nice touch, and it took me damn near all night to realize it wasn't the dimness that was bothering me, it was the *color* of the light. It was a pale white color. Something a bit more vibrant would have fit the bill perfectly.

Otherwise, the table is great. Quiet, romantic, and secluded. I don't even want to know what has gone on there in the past.

Our Meal
Our meal was four courses:
1) Appetizer
2) Appetizer numero dos
3) Salads
4) Entree

Both Appetizers were good, and both were under $13 each. We had the Lemon Pepper Calimari and the Garlic Escargot. The flavour of both were good, with the Calamari being my preferred. The Calamari wasn't deep friend, so there was no bredding... delicious!

The salads were... well, salads. I had the Tomato salad, with chives/onions. It was served in the usual vinigar dressing. I like Tomato salad, and this one was especially good (very fresh tomatoes!). My girlfriend had a house salad with the oil/vinegar dressing. Pretty good.

Moving on to our entrees. She had the Seafood Linguinie in a Red Win Sauce, and I had the Chicken in a Mushroom Cream sauce. She really enjoyed her food- it came with Mussels, Calamari, and Prawns. I didn't find it fantastic, but it wasn't bad either. For the price it was okay. My Chicken was a tadd overdone, but nothing horrible. It was served with a full compliment of veggies and potatoes. I did enjoy it.

We opted to avoid dessert for that night.

Closing
The service was pretty good. Our server was attentive, and understanding (we asked for more bread 4 times). The atmosphere was good, but the lighting did bug me.

Our will came to only $87, which I was really suprised. I was expect at least $120 or more.

Overall
Atmoshpere: 3.5/5
Service: 4.5/5
Food: 4/5
Value: 4/5

My recommendation: good for a date. Too small for anything else. The two of you would have a great time though, and it's the perfect "something-other-than-the-keg" spot.

Enjoy!

infected
02-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Awesome review, now just curious where is this place located?

A790
02-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by infected
Awesome review, now just curious where is this place located?

1111 - 7 St S.W.

Crap, their phone number is escaping me.

Nissanaddict
02-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Anything-other-than-the-keg? That's eternity if you've heard of the cattle-baron. :P <----shameless pimping of a good place...but good review. I'll give that place a whirl.