PDA

View Full Version : Is this for real? (paypal related)

buh_buh
02-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Got this email today. Is this for real? Or is it some sort of scam to get my password when I login? Seems kinda weird they'd delete my account for no apparent reason, saying I stole someone's account.

I went to the paypal website (not the link in the email) and logged in, and it said nothing about my account locking or anything. :confused:

Dear PayPal Customer,

We regret to inform you that this account has been locked.
To unlock your account please follow the link below and complete all the
steps.

http://www.paypal.com.updating-page.info

Please Note:
If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours,
then we will assume this account is fraudulent and your account will be
deleted.

Message 2023

Problem Description:

Suspicious account behavior possible account theft

PayPal Corp.
PayPal Account Review Department

Weapon_R
02-17-2006, 05:04 PM
no. There is no HTTPS at the beginning of the link. The .info should also be a giveaway.

Nova316
02-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Email Paypal the actual site
i think this ones a scam.. none of the links work on the site.. like sign in or help

shakalaka
02-17-2006, 05:07 PM
I got that email too a while ago, i just fukin ignored it and obviously fuck all happened to my account. Its all fukin bullshit.

legendboy
02-17-2006, 05:20 PM
http://www.paypal.com.updating-page.info

thats all one url addy, with a .info instead of a .com

if it was legit it would look more like this

https://www.paypal.com/updating/page/info

kevie88
02-17-2006, 05:22 PM
yarrr.. This is a Phishing e-mail.. whenever I get these I ignore them as it's a scam. :thumbsdow to the phishermen!! fuckers

Newk
02-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Here is a good little rule to identify PHishing scam e-mails'
If you have to ask "is this legit" it isn't.

VWbloke
02-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Not to mention it says "informations" - plural. What kind of grammar is that?

Celica TVS3
02-17-2006, 08:13 PM
If you're ever in dobut don't click the link on the email. Just type www.paypal.com into your browser on your own. That way you know you're putting in your info at the right place.

USHER
02-17-2006, 08:18 PM
so obvious its a scam you cant even click the sign up links or any of the tabs

Celica TVS3
02-17-2006, 08:24 PM
^ Yeah, that is pretty brutal. But i'm sure alot of people get scammed by these things.

NOTE: if you've clicked the link they know your IP address and will be able to see inside your computer. Please send me your paypal login name and password and i'll fix this problem for you. --- for those that missed it i'm kidding.

GQBalla
02-18-2006, 01:26 AM
i clicked the link.

and now it says cant be found.

it looks shady never trust email sent stuff like that.

motion
02-18-2006, 01:32 AM
fraudulent for sure...

fuck be careful guys, one of my parents got a 'phisshy' email the other day stating that her paypal account was locked because someone tried to access it from a bad IP address and they wanted her actual bank pin and account number to 'verify' it.

of course she didn't send them anything, but be careful..

fuckin pyutes are at it again.... :thumbsup:

clem24
02-22-2006, 05:02 PM
There are MANY of these going around now. The one that I think will trap the most people is from eBay. Don't know how many of you sell on eBay, but when a buyer asks a question about your auction, eBay will send an email to your email address. You then click on the "respond now" link where you are redirected back to eBay to respond to the question. Sometimes, you'll be asked to log in if the cookie has expired.

I recently got an email that had ALL of the eBay pictures/formats/links and what not. The only thing that was different was that the respond now link actually went to a different site. All they did was modify the url a bit like in the above. Most people likely won't notice it. I certainly didn't, so I still clicked on the link. But luckily, the site was already taken down so all I had was a page not found error. Phwef!!

DarkDream
02-23-2006, 12:11 PM
i'm sure if paypal wants you to do something it will be on your account when you log in to www.paypal.com.... So i say just log in and see instead of clicking links in your e-mail..

CRXguy
02-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Another thing to look for is how they address you. They never refer to you as "Paypal Customer" but your actual full name. I might have it mixed up with Ebay, but it's pretty much the same deal.

bacchus
02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
when in doubt toss it out

Fuji
02-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Paypal will phone you personally if there is a problem. It's happened to me. Generic emails are a fraud