PDA

View Full Version : Airbags blew, need some help

B20EF
02-17-2006, 08:14 PM
I was just driving my civic tonight and ran over a rock on the road. It was a large rock which looked exactly like a chunk of ice off a semi, it was too late to swerve, so i ran over it.

Anyways when I ran over it it blew both my airbags and the passenger airbag completed smashed my windshield when it came out.

I just need to know if the cops or insurance will have a problem because my car is lowered. Anyone been through this before, does having a lowered car void any insurance claims? Thanks

turbo'dGSR
02-17-2006, 08:17 PM
SHIT Josh, thats brutal man. Hope you are alright. I dont think having a lowered car should cause airbags to deploy. Maybe dont mention the lowered part unless they ask.

Zero102
02-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Wow, I've heard of them going off when people hit big pot holes too. Really makes me think twice about having them.

If your car is insured with it's modifications, then it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise I would just say nothing. Let them know what happened, let them take their pictures, etc. then see how it plays out.

Stephen81
02-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Ouch, sorry man. Did anyone catch the bit on insurance and modified vehicles in the Auto pullout last Friday in the Sun? If your insurance is aware of the specific modifications you have on your vehicle and your covereage reflects that I don't think you have a problem. Essentially though, ANY modification you've made to the vehicle (lowered, larger wheels, exhaust modification,etc) nullifies any coverage if you haven't made your insurance company aware of the modifications. When you took out your policy, if you didn't specify ANY modifications and they are looking into your claim that you drove over an object in a "lowered vehicle" which IMO would make it easier to impact the airbag sensors, it seems like they will deny you big time.

Hope it works out for you though :thumbsup:

B20EF
02-18-2006, 12:18 AM
^^^The car isn't insured with any mods, I was just worried the mechanics were obligated to say something to the insurance companies which would screw me

barbarian
02-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Sometimes impact sensors are in the bumper, and if the bumper or an airskirt bottoms out, the airbags can go off. That's probably what happened here.

Fez_turbo
02-18-2006, 12:23 AM
didnt even know that insurance companies worried about modified vehicles....when i was getting insurace put on my older modded civic hatch all they asked (in the insurance inspection) is "is the car altered for any speed or performance related parts?" and then a box either "yes" or "no".

get a friend to call and see what they say to him and then play it form there.

Stephen81
02-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Fez_turbo
....when i was getting insurace put on my older modded civic hatch all they asked (in the insurance inspection) is "is the car altered for any speed or performance related parts?" and then a box either "yes" or "no".

i checked the NO...which was a total lie but depending on the company, if you check yes they won't give you a policy.

Police
02-18-2006, 12:31 PM
well just raise that bitch back up before you do the claim hahaha simple as that.:thumbsup:

B20EF
02-18-2006, 12:49 PM
^^^ Unfortunatley I have lowering springs, but yah thats still a good idea

barbarian
02-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
^^^ Unfortunatley I have lowering springs, but yah thats still a good idea

Fraud is never a good idea.

ninspeed
02-18-2006, 07:21 PM
who is your insurance company? also, iwould not worry about it too much. Check you veh over.. check all the airbag sensors for any marking on them, or movement. Also check the module.. should be under the drivers seat. see if anything has punctured the floor. With any air bag deployment, you should check the top rear corners of the doors, window operations, and sun roof operations. When the air bags deploy with all the windows up, all that displaced air has to go somewhere, and it usualy has to find its own way.

Darkane
02-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Fuck josh that is shit-cock-penis-chota-balls man! One of the only viable options would be maybe to not replace the bags if you cant afford it. Do it later. OR strip the bitch Make a track only car and we'll go buy a hyundai stellar or something for a DD :poosie:

dodad
02-19-2006, 05:24 PM
If you checked NO" on the sheet the insurance company will look back and deny you the claim..and who's knows you're commiting fraud. I would cut you're losses and fix the car not worth the chance of getting caught

dodad
02-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Oh and civic sensors are in the bumper. If you don't call you're insurance company the car won't be branded for an accident. You could sell the car right now and or fix it...without anything on the title

Police
02-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by barbarian

Fraud is never a good idea.

do you know the definition of fraud? didn't think so. :thumbsdow :guns:

liquidboi69
02-19-2006, 10:24 PM
:drama:

B20EF
02-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by dodad
If you checked NO" on the sheet the insurance company will look back and deny you the claim..and who's knows you're commiting fraud. I would cut you're losses and fix the car not worth the chance of getting caught

I didn't go through any of that stuff, just called my broker with the type of car, year and vin. It was a two minute phone call getting insurance, no checklist.

barbarian
02-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Police

do you know the definition of fraud? didn't think so. :thumbsdow :guns:

Modifying a car after an accident and then calling your insurance company for an accident appraisal goes under the category of fraud.

Zero102
02-20-2006, 10:09 AM
^^^
Yep. And I don't think it would be prudent to be on here bragging about commiting fraud, so maybe it's time to stop posting about that line of action :)

Honestly, if your broker never asked if it is modified, then I guess they will get to cover it.
That said, it will still count as an at-fault accident on your record, and the issue now is whether it's worth fixing yourself, or taking the hit on your insurance. If you're younger (read under-25), it will probably be cheaper in the long run to fix it yourself.

MIWYFSHOTTER
02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Fraud? hahah

Insurance is basically fraud in Alberta they charge so much and jip you hardcore. Get real buddy.

Police
02-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOTTER
Fraud? hahah

Insurance is basically fraud in Alberta they charge so much and jip you hardcore. Get real buddy.

:werd:

Zero102
02-21-2006, 06:58 AM
mywyfshotter, that doesn't change the fact that defrauding an insurance company is illegal....
Which is why I suggest not discussing it in a public forum like this.