PDA

View Full Version : US Customs Question

CKY
02-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi guys, I know this thread should be in Travel, but I need this anwsered asap so please let it slide this time.
I'm leaving for L.A. tomorrow morning and I was wondering if the following items are allowed to be on a plane via hand carry:
glassware <-- it's a vase
pen
deodorant
cologne or eau de tolette
hair gel (not compressed air can)
shaving razor (if not then is an electric one okay?)

Also, what is the quota on how much goods I can bring back? I've been told $700 but I just wanted to confirm the number. And what if they suspect my new camera that I brought down with me was bought in the US when I'm coming back up? Since it's so new theres no dings or signs of wear and tear.

EDIT: Is there anything that I should buy in the US thats a crap load cheaper than buying in Canada? Things under $1000, so no cars. :banghead:

Ben
02-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Cut, Paste.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/pubs/usa_bound-en.asp

You must declare everything you have purchased and acquired outside Canada, as well as goods bought at a Canadian or foreign duty-free store for importation into Canada, whether the items are for yourself or intended as gifts. Keep your original receipts for possible inspection.
You are entitled to certain duty-free personal exemptions:

If you have been away from Canada for 24 hours or more, you may bring back goods worth up to C$50 without paying duties or taxes. You cannot include alcohol and tobacco in this exemption.

If you have been away from Canada for 48 hours or more, you may bring back goods worth up to C$200 without paying duties or taxes. These goods can include alcoholic beverages and tobacco products, as follows:

* up to 1.14 litres (40 imperial oz.) of liquor or 1.5 litres (53 oz.) of wine, or a case of 24 bottles or cans of beer or ale, each containing 355 ml (12 oz.); and

* up to 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or cigarillos, 200 tobacco sticks and 200 grams (7 oz.) of manufactured tobacco.

Provincial age restrictions apply to alcohol and tobacco products.

If you have been away from Canada for seven days or more, you may bring back goods worth up to C$750 without paying duties or taxes. These goods can include tobacco products and alcoholic beverages as described above. When calculating the number of days you are absent, do not include the date you leave Canada, but do include the date you return. Note: If you include cigarettes, tobacco sticks or loose tobacco in your personal exemption allowance, only a partial exemption will apply. You will have to pay a minimum duty on these products unless they are marked "CANADA-DUTY PAID - DROIT ACQUITTÉ." Canadian-made products sold at a duty-free shop are marked in this way. You can speed up your clearance by having your tobacco products available for inspection when you arrive.

What you can bring:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/dangerous.html

Also, you should have records of all larger dollar items to proove you paid for them here, I know, a little inconvenient, however the gov't websites recommend it.

I cant find the link for that, but I did read it recently when planning my upcoming trip.

CKY
02-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Sounds like I'm clear, thanks for the info :thumbsup: