PDA

View Full Version : Does your car have a black box?

Pete92SL
03-12-2003, 11:18 PM
It's a good thing to know. Mine does.

http://www.seniormag.com/headlines/blackboxcars.htm

Pete

redline_13000
03-12-2003, 11:20 PM
mine has one:D

Glowrider
03-12-2003, 11:21 PM
Man...that's going to really piss some people off if they get into street racing accidents. Talk about hard evidence. No getting out of that!

Loose
03-12-2003, 11:34 PM
No my car does not have one.

Yes I have the Vetronix Crash Data Retrieval System that can download them :)

Loose
03-12-2003, 11:37 PM
Ps. As far as we know, every modern car has a "black box", except only GM has given a company (Vetronix) the secret to their code so that the box can be read.

Rumors are that Toyota is next, then Ford.

http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/cdr/index.html

Loose
03-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Pps. The original intent of these boxes is so that crash data could be retrieved by the manufactures so that they could "field test" their safety systems. Not so some cop could bust your nutz for misbehavin'.

Glowrider
03-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Loose
Pps. The original intent of these boxes is so that crash data could be retrieved by the manufactures so that they could "field test" their safety systems. Not so some cop could bust your nutz for misbehavin'.

LOL. That's how it always starts out. Sooner or later I'm sure the authorities will use this to their advantage. I know BMW's record activity to some extent, to what extent it goes, I don't know.

Oh well.

rage2
03-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Just wait for OBDIII - cops can disable your car, speeding info can be downloaded to transponders and you get ticketed automatically, lots of other crap!

Glowrider
03-12-2003, 11:53 PM
Quick, run for the OBD-1 ECU and jumpers! LOL

D'z Nutz
03-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Just wait for OBDIII - cops can disable your car, speeding info can be downloaded to transponders and you get ticketed automatically, lots of other crap!

Technology's a bad thing!! Hope you got an Urban Legend's link for that one too!! :banghead:

Zephyr
03-12-2003, 11:55 PM
the world is becomming more and more of a police state, bye bye democracy, hello law controlling government.

EVOI
03-13-2003, 12:08 AM
well~i think blackbox is not a bad idea, it is useful for plancrash.

But for the police thing go~i not worry too much yet because people always try to come up something to avoid broken the law~

sml
03-13-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Some car rental companies have done this in the states (have a black box hidden inside the car which monitors vehicle speed and violations based on your location via GPS and people have fought it and won in a court of law due to infriging privacy acts. I know this because my company specializes on designing these "black boxes"...

Ben
03-13-2003, 12:54 AM
pfft, thet wont be out for one week before someone figures out a war to disable that OBD 3 transponder shit. I bet someone already has.

three.eighteen.
03-13-2003, 03:53 AM
haha, whats stopping someone from hacking those OBD3's if the cop cars have them too? anything the law and gov't officials can get, will eventually end up somehow in the hands of the public

RiceCake
03-14-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
haha, whats stopping someone from hacking those OBD3's if the cop cars have them too? anything the law and gov't officials can get, will eventually end up somehow in the hands of the public

:werd: But that'll just mean you'll ahve to blow more money for the hacks... :banghead: