PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Injuries

snowboard
02-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Alright by no means am i a bitch, i dont get hurt much in sports. or all together, im a pretty big sturdy fella but last Year in Lacrosse, i apparently fractured my wrist. I went and got x-rays becuase i couldnt cross check people anymore with out a pretty decent amount of pain, and loss of any strength whatsover in my wrist. anyways, i got a half cast, but they said they knew it was fractured but couldn't find it, so to where this cast for 2 weeks, but i only wore it for 3 days and ithought it was ok, cause it felt good, and i went on playing lacrosse.

i ended up hurting it more and now have trouble bending up and down more than 45 degrees. i know wrists can be pretty fragile but this is my first injury, now with this years lacrosse season approaching i was just wondering if something like physio could restore the mobility and strength into my wrist, I've been meaning to go to the doctors but am not very fond of that place.

any one ever had any problems like this? know if and how it can be fixxed?

xrayvsn
02-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Depending on the bone injured originally, it can potentially be bad news. From your story, it sounds as if your doctors were worried that you had a scaphoid fracture. This is a crucial bone in the function of your wrist, and because of its blood supply, it is at risk when there is a fracture. This is why they put you in a half-cast even though the fracture was not clearly visible.

What can happen if not treated properly, is the fracture may not heal, and the blood supply to portions of the bone may not be adequately restored. If this happens, the bone that articulates with the wrist can die, a process known as avascular necrosis.

I would suggest that you go to your doctor again, and get another x-ray of your wrist and scaphoid to make sure this is not what has happened. I know that you are not fond of going to doctors, but I think it is necessary in this case.

luv2xler8
02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
all i can say s i fractured my wrist 7 years ago and it still buggs me when i punch or push with it.... yea go to the doctor

snowboard
02-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
If this happens, the bone that articulates with the wrist can die, a process known as avascular necrosis.

Damn is that treatable?
Doctors this week then. :eek:

00redLUDE
02-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
Depending on the bone injured originally, it can potentially be bad news. From your story, it sounds as if your doctors were worried that you had a scaphoid fracture.

What can happen if not treated properly, is the fracture may not heal, and the blood supply to portions of the bone may not be adequately restored. If this happens, the bone that articulates with the wrist can die, a process known as avascular necrosis.

I do not believe that the doctor was worried about a scaphoid fracture. If he was and a scaphoid x-ray was negative then the patient would have a 'clinical scaphoid fracture' ie tests positive for a scaphoid injury with no radiological evidence. If this was the case they you would need to be put in a scaphoid cast. ie a cast that goes below your elbow distally down to your metacarpophalangeal (MCP) joint line with you thumb immobilized.

I think the doctor was concerned with an occult fracture (stress fracture or a small fracture that one can not see on initial x-ray films). Then a splint would be more appropriate in this situation and a follow up x-ray should be repeated in 10-14 days from the first x-ray.

It doesn't really matter anymore now as your injury has been over a year ago (that's what I got from his description) and any fracture should have been healed by now except as stated above for a true scaphoid fracture (which I do not believe it was-from the history that was given).

However, you should still go see a doctor about this and consider getting another x-ray to make sure no bone abnormality are present.

Vietsta
02-19-2006, 02:01 AM
i happen to me wheni got into my car crash which was about a year ago
and every so day its starts to hurt

xrayvsn
02-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Ah, read that he got the half cast and assumed he meant thumb spica cast. Now that I think about it, its not likely he could have taken a thumb spica cast off on his own. I read "wrist injury, no visible fracture on x-ray, cast and follow-up x-ray in 2 weeks". Around the wrist, the scaphoid is my immediate conclusion, but that is not treated with a half-cast. My apologies for misreading that.

Anyway, I think follow-up x-rays are still a good idea.

snowboard
02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Well i'll be going this week, shit thanks for your educated replies guys? going through medical school or something? or finished? haha very much so appreciated!

xrayvsn
02-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Graduated Med school in 2001. Glad to help if I can. Post up if you have more questions about your wrist and good luck with everything!

dub_c
02-22-2006, 06:47 PM
i hit my wrist with a hammer in the middle of december, and its close to march now and it hurts to close a pair of plyers :(