PDA

View Full Version : Superchargers?? Opinions, comments, etc.

Ferio_vti
03-13-2003, 01:17 PM
I'm looking at getting a used JRSC for my Civic on ebay, buy it price is $800US.
I don't want a comparison or telling me to go turbo.
I want to hear some comments, reviews, etc from anyone who's got one, or used one. How's installation, engine performance, additional mods ie. map sensor, boost controller, etc. Maintenance

I found this article on Hybrid Honda, a JRSC horror story:
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/marc-jrsc-after.html
Sounds like an isolated case... Anyone come across any major SC problems??

Thanks,
C.

Weapon_R
03-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Great price.

I don't know how much of a gain your civic will get from a supercharger install, most likely not as high as with turbo, but a good idea for the price.

JRSC are pretty reliable. That seems like a rare case.

Installation isn't very easy, and it will cost a pretty penny to get it done if you are not mechanically inclined. Maintenance is pretty much non-existant, as the JRSC is a self contained unit and its marketing department has made it clear that it requires very little maintenance.

To up the boost, you have to swap pulleys. This is expensive and time consuming. With a turbo, a simple manual boost controller can adjust your boost within seconds.

Overall, a good buy for 800us if it's complete. One of the things with buying used is that there are hundreds of parts on this s/c that may have gotten lost or forgotten when removing.

ACS-e36
03-13-2003, 03:13 PM
careful its "ebay"

buh_buh
03-13-2003, 03:36 PM
if its complete, then go for it. But IMO JRSC on a Civic won't really do much. But if its cheap, go for it.

Glowrider
03-13-2003, 04:35 PM
800 bucks? Eh..I'd be wary. But if it is legit, go for it. I don't think the power gains will be out of this world, but hey if it's only $800 for the charger...go for it.

ls/vtec-crx
03-13-2003, 04:53 PM
For $800, buy it. It's a very reliable when it comes daily driving and boosting everywhere. Performance it's good but still you will only run low 15's at the track but that's very respectable for a single cam. Install is very easy just as long as the person you get to install it, has done it before. I've done a couple myself and they are pretty easy to put it.

As for buying the supercharger, if you buy it get the parts list off the website www.jacksonracing.com and make you get all the parts because if you are missing parts it can be a real pain in the ass to get parts that are missing and costing you more time and money.

B18C
03-13-2003, 05:00 PM
If it's $800US and the kit is complete go for it!

The install is VERY easy if you are at all mechanically inclined and the kit is complete. As long as you have a Helms manual you are good to go. My JRSC took my buddy and I a weekend to put in with very little problems

For the D-series motors I don't think a JRSC will give you huge power but it will definitely be noticeable and for $800US you should be VERY happy with it.

Reliability is really a non-issue. Literally a install and enjoy mod. Upgrades are definitely it's biggest downfall. The only way to increase boost is to swap the pulley. It's not as hard as Weapon_R made it sound if you swap the alternator stepper pulley. Just loosen a couple belts, pull down the alternator, and swap pulleys. The biggest problem is with it's upgradeability. I'm not too sure with the M45 blower (the one in the D-series kits) but for my GSR (M60) you can only really up the boost to about 10-11psi. After that the blower is very inefficient and you are just making heat.

As with any FI honda, I would suggest going to a standalone engine management system. It can be a little expensive (esp when your kit is so cheap) so I recommend the JR MAP controller. JRSC's are famous for tip-in detonation and this MAP controller should do the trick. Another thing I would get is an upgraded fuel pump.

crxcel
03-13-2003, 07:35 PM
first time to the track with my jrsc i ran a 14.7 and now after a little tuning i got it down to 14.1 so they can be somewhat fast.

B18C
03-13-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by crxcel
first time to the track with my jrsc i ran a 14.7 and now after a little tuning i got it down to 14.1 so they can be somewhat fast.

I stand corrected. :thumbsup:

redline
03-13-2003, 10:05 PM
The M45 is done at about 10psi. One of the issues is heat and then other is that the blowers will do not like be spun that fast. And at around 10psi you run out of blower rpm.

I think it is good option for low boost and some fun. I got about $1500US for my SC so the $800 is damn good if it is complete. I have seen them sell for $1200 easy on the parts trader.

But for the money you can get into junk yard turbo setups.

I would look into a SMC+ for low budget full management.

CRXguy
03-13-2003, 10:21 PM

Is that one the d16a6? Mind listing everything you've done to the engine, besides the obvious s/c?

Thanks!

crxcel
03-13-2003, 11:39 PM
The only problem I have found is that i go through belts like crazy and i had to replace an idler pulley one...And CRX GUy i cant let all the secrets out of the bag...got to get to the dyno though so i can at least give out some numbers

B18C
03-14-2003, 12:42 AM
...And CRX GUy i cant let all the secrets out of the bag...

Why?

redline
03-14-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by B18C

Why?

Cause of all the big dollars that can be made in import drag racing in western canada. He does not want some beating him and taking his prize money.:rolleyes:

XxIntegra_BoixX
03-14-2003, 07:03 PM
$800 legit or not? But if its legit then nice deal, just be warned if its not legit since just about anything can go wrong with it. Personally i think superchargers are a decent built up on hp. Since it is conveniant on gas and all. DAM those gas prices are high.