PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Tinting

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Ok, so you can tint the back windows, can't tint the windshield... what about the door windows... what's legal?

ryder_23
02-21-2006, 03:41 PM
B pillar (ithink its called) and forward is illegal. meaning, drivers side and front passenger are illegal. This has been discussed numerous times. Try the Search button for future references.

95EagleAWD
02-21-2006, 08:03 PM
No tint on the front windows. Back windows and back passenger can be as dark as you want.

andres_mt
02-21-2006, 08:10 PM
damnn is there like a certain extent to which you can tint the side driver and passenger windows, or is any tint not legal.?:dunno:

handsomebassman
02-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
damnn is there like a certain extent to which you can tint the side driver and passenger windows, or is any tint not legal.?:dunno:

Zero tolerance, NO tint on front side windows and windshield.
Although that didnt stop me from doing a 5% all round....:devil:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/Civicmy.jpg

Graham_A_M
02-21-2006, 08:13 PM
ANY TINT, **ANY** on the front or windshield is illegal, call up a tint company if your doubting me.

Very mild tint, the cops probably wont mind, but anything dark that hides your facial features, count on getting pulled over for.

88CRX
02-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
count on getting pulled over for.

If your not doing anything dumb your probably pretty safe. I've been fine for over a year with my gangsta tint.... no problems at all.

/knock on wood

handsomebassman
02-21-2006, 08:18 PM
^^Ive had my 5% all around since i bought my car, and never had any problems in the last 4 months.

And yes, it is illegal, and the tint companies will tell you that, and put it on your reciept, but they will still do it for you. I got mine done at Shadow Tint.

alky1987
02-21-2006, 08:31 PM
how much did that cost u for 5% all around. looks awesome

handsomebassman
02-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by alky1987
how much did that cost u for 5% all around. looks awesome
Thanks for the compliment

Prices were $150 for back three windows, and $200 for ALL windows (excluding windshield). Your choice of any tint colour, type, etc. And at shadow tint, they actually take your whole window out to do the film install. That way the bottom edge of the tint isnt constantly getting pulled up at when you put your window down. ;)

3G
02-21-2006, 08:34 PM
as long as ur not a gangsta or driving like a douchebag u wont get pulled over, rcmp are more strict i hear

88CRX
02-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by 3G
as long as ur not a gangsta or driving like a douchebag u wont get pulled over, rcmp are more strict i hear

:werd:

If you get pulled over doing mach 7 in a school zone then expect to get harassed about it. If you dont drive like a douche your prolly fine. That is untill you hit up banff or some other butt-fuck town that rcmp patrol.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-21-2006, 11:33 PM
alright... i was only gonna get the back donw anyways unless it was legal... thanks for the info guys

seer_claw
02-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Just got a ticket for having it on the front windows. :banghead: Although it is a fix it ticket so I can show up to the RCMP office and they will void the ticket.

Otherwise its $175 for not showing up and $115 for tint on the windows. I can't afford that shit so off comes the tint and you have to take the car to show them. Useless cops in Medicine Hat, just driving thru and I get pulled over and I wasn't even speeding. :whipped: :cry:

mo_money2supe
02-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by handsomebassman

Thanks for the compliment

Prices were $150 for back three windows, and $200 for ALL windows (excluding windshield). Your choice of any tint colour, type, etc. And at shadow tint, they actually take your whole window out to do the film install. That way the bottom edge of the tint isnt constantly getting pulled up at when you put your window down. ;)

Hehe...I got all 5 of mine done for $160!!! Got a back-door / corporate account deal!

As for them taking out the windows, yes, they take out your front doors' (or rear doors if it's a 4-door), but they don't take out the rear or the side triangular windows. Handsomebassman, take a look at your rear side quarter/triangular windows from the inside, and you'll notice where they cut it.

BUT, although they don't necessarily take the rears (or any other non-removable glass) off, they still do an absolutely amazing job! They have corporate accounts for most, if not all, the stealerships, so if off-the-lot cars are going through them, then why wouldn't you?

As for my car, the front windows are 50%, and all rears are 20% (I think). So far, I haven't been pulled over, and hopefully I never will, but I think the cops are okay with that though because the rears are dark enough to offset the fronts. Looks better IMO than all the windows blacked out anyway.

AllGoNoShow
02-22-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm getting all 7 of mine done at 5% :)

Nissanaddict
02-22-2006, 12:50 AM
As mentioned it's illegal in front of the B pillar, but if you go 5% in the back, it's kinda hard to notice 20-30% even in the front (at least the people I know with tint)

handsomebassman
02-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
As for them taking out the windows, yes, they take out your front doors' (or rear doors if it's a 4-door), but they don't take out the rear or the side triangular windows. Handsomebassman, take a look at your rear side quarter/triangular windows from the inside, and you'll notice where they cut it.

Im not mentally challenged there buddy, lol, i know they dont take out the non removable windows.

mo_money2supe
02-22-2006, 12:58 AM

Im not mentally challenged there buddy, lol, i know they dont take out the non removable windows.

A little on the defensive there, aren't we? I wasn't aiming anything at you, just thought I'd let people know that their sign at the front of the store saying that they take out windows when they put the tint on, really doesn't apply to ALL windows, that's all.

.civictyper.
02-22-2006, 01:03 AM
i was at work, and a cop sat in the parking lot and waited for me to get into my car and as soon i as opened the door he came and gave me a 115$ ticket and almost made me scratch it off. i was fuckin pissed!

Ben
02-22-2006, 01:13 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=1148659#post1148659

I tinted mine all around save the windshield. 35%, it's dark, but not rediculous. The photos make it look darker than it really is, but as previously mentioned, dont drive like a knob, and they'll be good to you.

Granted I drive a fairly stock looking German sedan so they pretty much leave me alone, if you drive a modded out spacecraft eith lights all over, and an exhaust that wakes the dead, compounded with driving like a wannabe Michale Andretti, it'll be one more yellow slip when they return from the cruiser.

And for the record, ANY film forward of the drivers shoulders is illegal, tinted or not.

bbcustoms
02-22-2006, 01:41 AM
I've heard there is a loophole for tinting your front windows if you get a doctor authorization for UV resistant tint
I have had skin cancer and someone had told me this but I never checked into it
Can anyone back this up?

handsomebassman
02-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by bbcustoms
I've heard there is a loophole for tinting your front windows if you get a doctor authorization for UV resistant tint
Can anyone back this up?

:werd: Its true.

Goblin
02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
I have skin cancer too :angel:

Goblin
02-22-2006, 07:26 PM

A little on the defensive there, aren't we? I wasn't aiming anything at you, just thought I'd let people know that their sign at the front of the store saying that they take out windows when they put the tint on, really doesn't apply to ALL windows, that's all.

Every Window is removable...

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/images/hammers/hammer.gif

TwinTurbo3000
02-22-2006, 07:43 PM
I got pulled over for tint on my passenger front left and front right. The ticket was $115. My tint is really dark and very noticable. However i fought the ticket and they ripped it up. I also talked to a cool cop, and he let me in on a secret. He said that if you tell them that you didn't put the tint on you bought the car like that. They can't give you anything. Something he said about a new piece of the act. However, the cop that gave me the ticket said that if he pulled me over again he would impound my truck. So i don't know.

arian_ma
02-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Some cops need to take the sticks out of their asses...
For fuck sake like I know it's for my safety and all but if I am to smash my head against my windshield I'll PROBABLY have a borken neck as well from all the whiplash, besides, it's MY life ;).
Money hungry bastards...

mo_money2supe
02-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Goblin

Every Window is removable...

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bump/images/hammers/hammer.gif

rofl :rofl:

Foz
02-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Goblin
I have skin cancer too :angel:

Just say you're related to Michael Jackson...:D

saiyajin
02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
^^Ive had my 5% all around since i bought my car, and never had any problems in the last 4 months.

And yes, it is illegal, and the tint companies will tell you that, and put it on your reciept, but they will still do it for you. I got mine done at Shadow Tint.

As for my car, the front windows are 50%, and all rears are 20% (I think). So far, I haven't been pulled over, and hopefully I never will, but I think the cops are okay with that though because the rears are dark enough to offset the fronts. Looks better IMO than all the windows blacked out anyway.

man whats with these big discrepancies? cuz im thinking to myself...5% thats like nothing but with the pic it seems pretty dark and then theres ppl with 50%?? is that like pitch black or what?? :dunno: :dunno:

mo_money2supe
02-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

man whats with these big discrepancies? cuz im thinking to myself...5% thats like nothing but with the pic it seems pretty dark and then theres ppl with 50%?? is that like pitch black or what?? :dunno: :dunno:

Uhh...I think you're thinking of the percentage the other way around. It doesn't mean the percentage of how dark the tint is, the percentage number is how much light it lets in! So if you take a look at those who have fronts and rears tinted, but at diff. shades, you'll notice the fronts have a higher percentage number than the rears. For example, mine: Fronts @ 50%, Rears @ 20%.

That's why Handsomebassman's 5% looks darker than mine... Clear as mud now? :D

handsomebassman
02-22-2006, 09:24 PM
:werd: Exactly what he said ^^^

5% means it lets 5% of the light through.

saiyajin
02-22-2006, 10:14 PM

Uhh...I think you're thinking of the percentage the other way around. It doesn't mean the percentage of how dark the tint is, the percentage number is how much light it lets in! So if you take a look at those who have fronts and rears tinted, but at diff. shades, you'll notice the fronts have a higher percentage number than the rears. For example, mine: Fronts @ 50%, Rears @ 20%.

That's why Handsomebassman's 5% looks darker than mine... Clear as mud now? :D

ahhh thanks :thumbsup:

mikey_mo_love
02-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Some cops need to take the sticks out of their asses...
For fuck sake like I know it's for my safety and all but if I am to smash my head against my windshield I'll PROBABLY have a borken neck as well from all the whiplash, besides, it's MY life ;).
Money hungry bastards...

isn't it for their safety?
i'm pretty sure they want to see what the driver/passengers are doing as they walk up to a car they just pulled over

95EagleAWD
02-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by bbcustoms
Can anyone back this up?

Not true at all. No tint on front windows, period. This isn't a hard concept, guys...

:drama:

Originally posted by mikey_mo_love
i'm pretty sure they want to see what the driver/passengers are doing as they walk up to a car they just pulled over

Bingo. Traffic stops are the most dangerous situation a cop can be in. You never know. And if your windows are tinted, it just makes it worse.

Goblin
02-22-2006, 10:34 PM
:werd: Exactly what he said ^^^

5% means it lets 5% of the light through.

Therefore, RESTRICTING 95% of the light ;)

I was confused as you at one point, thinking, how can 50% be lighter than 5, wtf!!!

Ben
02-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by mikey_mo_love

It's a number of reasons.

-Safetly of cops on approach of your vehicle
-Other drivers able to see you at intersections
-Pedestrians able to see you at intersections
-Glass wont smash out as easily in an accident if they need to extract you
-More difficult to park/drive at night

Now what is off about the officer safely one is you're allowed to tint the rear portion of the car, which is generally where an officer approaches from, and it's not until you get right up to the drivers door of the car that you see the drivers window. Not going to make much of a difference IMO, especially if they're following proper procedure and stay behind the driver as they open the window and such.

So, it's really an up in the air debate, some say it's no big deal, others fight tooth and nail against tint. I myself chose it for keeping the car cooler in the summer and people from looking into my car for valuables etc. It's not too dark you cant see the driver, but it's dark enough to make a difference.

Again, drive like a sane person, and dont give them a reason to pull you over (unless you're running extremely dark tint all around, they've pulled over for that all the time. Even in States like Arizona where you can have dark tint on the front glass, black opague is not welcomed.)