PDA

View Full Version : ARGH. Alternator is a pissoff!

blueripper6
02-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Hello.

I just tried to do the alternator in my 91 Civic, fucken anoying as hell. Its impossible to get the thing outta the engine bay without dropping the driveshafts!!! I dont have the powertools to get the big nut off in the center of the brake(sorry dunno what its called) and I got school and a bunch of shit to do tmr and I gotta drive it around.

Ill bet I could get another month or 2 off this alternator before it actually goes. It squeels a little on and off sometimes. But i want to sell this car so im gonna change it now so someone who buys it doesnt have it crap out on them right when they buy it.

/end rant

zhulander
02-21-2006, 11:45 PM
You don't need power tools to get the drive axle retaining nut off. Just a 32mm socket, big breaker bar and a sturdy screwdriver.

Stick the screwdriver in the vents of the brake rotor so when you take off the drive axle retaining nut, it will hold up against the caliper. Then use the breaker and try to get that nut off, if you can't get enough leverage use the handle of a shovel or something as an extension.

Zero102
02-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Squeals sometimes? You're sure it's not just the belt?
Probably a stupid question, but sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

Either way, that sounds exactly like my brother's mazda. Except on his we had the choice, intake manifold or CV shaft.

AllGoNoShow
02-22-2006, 12:50 AM
You don't need to take the driveshafts out to do it.

Ask shane on here, he has done many civics, Si's and DX's alternators, yes the Si's are a little more of a bitch but he has done them before on his Si. Maybe he'd be willing to help you do yours.

blueripper6
02-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Some people have different ways of doing. Some people with the EXACT same car as mine and motor had the alternator just slip right out of the top, mine wont even do that. Wont fall out the bottom either.

Hopefully I can take it to buddys with a lift/tools to do the job this weekend.

Wont matter though cause i'll have a 240 by then:clap:

QuasarCav
02-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by blueripper6
Some people have different ways of doing. Some people with the EXACT same car as mine and motor had the alternator just slip right out of the top, mine wont even do that. Wont fall out the bottom either.

Hopefully I can take it to buddys with a lift/tools to do the job this weekend.

Wont matter though cause i'll have a 240 by then:clap:

If you can remove the bracket and get someone to push on the exhuast it should slip out.

AllGoNoShow
02-22-2006, 12:09 PM
The DX's slip out up top, the Si's he had to move over to the passenger side of the engine bay, remove some other junk, then lift it up through there I think.

blueripper6
02-22-2006, 12:44 PM
I dont even have sockets. Bracket is a bitch to get off, might as well use the shop if we can.

Anyone wanna buy it?