PDA

View Full Version : Bike Helmets?

skandalouz_08
02-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Well i'm looking to buy a new helmet and was just wondering what the most popular brand is out there that you guys would recommend. I'm looking for comfort, well vented and easy to breathe in, and am up to all suggestions.

Also what's a good helmet for passengers? obviously need something comfortable for them but don't want to get too pricey with the second helmet because the amount of time having a passenger on my bike will be very minimal.

SikAssR1
02-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Arai all the way, I have the Okada replica, pretty pricey but very comfortable. As for a cheaper passenger helmet, HJC makes affordable ones. I suggest you go to a shop and try on a bunch. Blackfoot has a great selection, give them a try.

endo
02-22-2006, 09:40 AM
come down and see me @ Universal Cycle sometime...I'll fit ya up.

Even if you don't get one from me, do yourself good and buy on that fits your head...not your budget. It won't protect you if you spend $900 and it doesn't fit properly.

Myself I have a Suomy right now, and it's pretty good but I've had it a while, time for a new one. I'll probably be getting a KBC TK9 Force or an Arai. Both fit great too :D

viffer
02-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Well since your passenger's life is valued less than your own, don't worry about getting them a good helmet, its a waste of money.

:confused:

Seriously you shouldn't just buy one helmet to use for every monkey you are going to throw on the back of your ride, helmets fit different people in different ways so if you do plan on taking somebody for a ride make sure they have a properly fitted lid!!

As for your own helmet, things like fit, comfort, ventalation, wind noise, etc will again vary depending on the shape of your noggin, so your best bet would be to head down to a bike shop with a large selection (Blackfoot, Bow, GW to name a few) and just try a whole bunch on. Worry about fit first, find a model that fits your head the best, then worry about finding that model in a colour scheme you like.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

skandalouz_08
02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
^^^ I didn't say that my passenger's life isn't valued. You can still get a good quality helmet for a cheaper price just won't have the graphics and a few other extras that other helmets might have.

As for the rest who responded thanks for the advice, keep it coming

wildkarrde
02-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by viffer

Seriously you shouldn't just buy one helmet to use for every monkey you are going to throw on the back of your ride, helmets fit different people in different ways so if you do plan on taking somebody for a ride make sure they have a properly fitted lid!!

So how many passenger helmets do you own?

viffer
02-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by wildkarrde

So how many passenger helmets do you own?
I have only taken one person on the back of my bike, my gf, and she has her own helmet.

I see the point you are trying to make though. If you take many different people for rides, then obviously it would be expensive to buy them all lids. All I was saying is that you won't be able to simply buy a "Passenger helmet" and expect it to work for everyone you take on your bike. I guess it depends on how strongly you value the safety of your passenger. Look in this forum for the thread about the girl who fell off the back of the bike in her tank top. How would you feel if this happened to your girl while you were riding and she died because her helmet didn't fit properly? Its a risk I'd rather not take.

Billet
02-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by viffer
How would you feel if this happened to your girl while you were riding and she died because her helmet didn't fit properly? Its a risk I'd rather not take.

nobody should ever be on the back of your bike unless you are confident enough in your skill and your passengers skill.

with quality helmets you can go buy any size helmet, and change out the cheek-pads. The shells are usually all the same size, the only thing that is different is the inside 'foam'.

Dont sell the helmet cause it doesnt fit perfect... buy the right size internals and your good to go.

and if a helmet doesnt 'fit your head' ... change out part of the internals for a perfect fit!

hope this helps

tawheed
02-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I came down head first in my Arai RX7-RR4 during a racing accident, the fact that I'm still here is a testament to Arai's quality.. They are extremely pricey though...

-tawheed

khtm
02-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Check out Z1R helmets...

This comparison by Motorcyclist magazine gave them awesome ratings:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

And you can pick one up new for ~$100. Way cheaper than other helmets that aren't as good.

BlueGoblin
02-24-2006, 02:15 PM
A cheap but DOT approved helmet that fits will protect you better than the most expensive one out there that doesn't fit. Some people have heads that fit different kinds of helmets; I like Shoei helmets, but I have an HJC head.

Like Billet said - the external shell is usually either of one size or in some cases two (ie. an xs - med shell and a L-XXL shell), and the internals can be modified somewhat to help fit.

Personally, I do some mixed touring/off-road riding on an adventurer tourer, so I really like having a flip-up 'modular' helmet; the HJC Sy-Max. Its a little louder than a true full face, is not Snell approved (Snell does open faced and closed face but does not yet have criteria for modular), but it fits well and is really, really comfortable.

Good luck with your search.

2WheelnNfeelnIT
03-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Funny story. I saw 2 guys in the mall last summer. Huge guys, biker gear. Strutten around. I was walking to my bike in the parking lot and saw the one guy get on his GSX-R than, the other dude hopped on the back spooned him, and they took off. Looked kinda gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) cuz these guys looked so hard core before. Ha ha.

Anyway, yeah man, its all about what fits YOU the best. My advice make sure its LIGHT though.

I have an SHOEI RF1000, and i love it. Feels like i'm wearing nothing compared to my old SHARK. That lid was heavy and felt like a bowling ball.

Stoppie
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
for my helmet i have a HCJ but one of the pricier ones (im one of those people who think u have to pay more for quality :D) i think the helmet was regularly like 800 and i payed 300 :D

danno
03-09-2006, 11:15 PM
i have a shoei rf 1000, it's great, super light. but it does fog up on the cold days. i bought mine from gw, for 600 i'm pretty sure that's a good deal on it

craigcd
03-10-2006, 01:01 AM
I really like Arai helmets but i have always found HJC to fit me better. Dirt and street. Go try some on and see what works best. Dont cheap out, but you dont have to go way over board in terms of price.

skandalouz_08
03-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying an HJC helmet which I love. Went out riding for a bike today but it was a little on the cold side and was foggin up like crazy. Can't wait for summer now!

in*10*se
03-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Arai... or Shoei

i have an arai signet GTR... love it, fits well and its the best quality for your noggin:D

SOAB
03-17-2006, 10:03 AM
i have a Shoei ZII and a Suomy Extreme Dragon. i have never seen a helmet lighter or have a comfier liner than the Suomy. well worth the price IMO.