PDA

View Full Version : Paint Help/Questions!!

R-Audi
02-22-2006, 01:07 AM
I recently got a new hood and had it 'professionally' painted by a 'reputable' shop in Calgary. I was on the highway this weekend and got a few rock chips, (At the time there were two tiny ones) and I washed the car today and there are three HUGE ones. (Bigger then I have ever had in 7 years of owning a car) The pressure washer actually peeled more paint off two of them (Not close, and a regular coin wash) The chips are now black on my nice white car.

Now my questions:

Is easily chipping paint a sign of low quality or lack of preperation? I do expect the occasional chip.. but these are BIG.

Also, if paint is chipping away with the washer, does that point to poor quality? There isnt dents around the chips, just a chip in the paint.
Finally.. Is there a black primer that I dont know about? I have only ever seen grey... and these are black as night. They completely stand out... Looks like an f'in Dalmation. (Slight exageration)

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Bodyshop carries a guarantee that normally excludes rock ships for obvious reasons.. but these are over the top. Can I expect them to help me out? They are already re-painting my bumper from previous issues...

handsomebassman
02-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Thats the result of poor prep work.

Sorry:( Hope it dont look too bad.

PrezeS_PL
02-22-2006, 01:24 AM
new parts come primed in black,

repaints are not as durable as factory finish since the paint isn't baked, but yours seem to be a bit on the high side more like bad prep

R-Audi
02-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys... We will see what happens when I email them today. hopefully in my favor!

civicrider
02-22-2006, 11:25 AM
umm proably because the black primer that comes on those parts is garbage they should be sanding that then laying down a better primer and then top coat and you get better ahdesion.

post up a pic

Phuqu
02-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Check to see if they put a sealer coat on before applying topcoat.

If they just sanded the new hood and applied the base and then the clear your hood is going to continue chipping.

You need some mil build from a sealer coat for adhesion and chip protection. They should have also use a white sealer. That way your chips will still look white.

R-Audi
02-22-2006, 12:42 PM
I will post a pic when i get home.. recieved an email back from the manager though, asid it could be a problem with adhesion, and he would like to take a look at it... Sounds ok so far.

Thanks for the help, you guys sound like you know what you are talkig about! I should write this stuff down when I go talk to him...

xtreme prelude
02-27-2006, 11:27 AM
when you paint a car and dont remove all the previous paint then the chips tend to be larger because the paint is thicker. as for it peeling off when you wash it, definitley sounds like a prep issue.

R-Audi
02-27-2006, 01:26 PM
"I recently got a new hood"
As in brand new.. no previous paint