PDA

View Full Version : Help - RE: CD Deck connection to amp+subs.

/////AMG
02-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Ok, I've never installed my own subs and amp before, but I've searched all over the net, and it seems quite simple. I may burn a few fuses if I mess up, but that’s alright.
I have an old CD deck that came with my car, and I'm not planning to upgrade just yet.

The only problem I'm having is with the remote wire (which switches on the amp when I turn on the deck).

There is no wire coming out of my deck for this. The only wires that are free are 4 rear speaker wires (2+ & 2-). And an aerial remote, which I might hook up to the aerial, but I'm not bothered about the radio.

I e-mailed the manufacture but they provided me with info I already have.
Manual here: http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3W0K6KET15F4C2JG4SGSTNAL1D

I believe I need a switch to do this... but I'm lost.

Someone told me to do this: “splice off of the ignition live and then fit a switch into it so you can choose when the amp is on.”
“Switch would just go 'in line' with the wire ( so feed would be taken from the ignition live into the switch ) then when you turn the switch on you get power out of the other side and down to the amp.”

So when I get a switch fitted, on one end would be ignition live. On the other side would be wire to the deck and remote wire, correct? :duuno:

How the hell do I do this part?
If anyone has time and can draw a quick diagram, much appreciated (it would help out so much).
Now I need to find where to get a switch from.

spike98
02-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Skip all of the above and just fit it to the antenna remote trigger. IF you plan of hooking up the antenna just pick up a relay. Supply +12v and ground use the antenna as the trigger and send the output to both the remote turn-on for the amp, and the input to the antenna.

A790
02-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by spike98
Skip all of the above and just fit it to the antenna remote trigger. IF you plan of hooking up the antenna just pick up a relay. Supply +12v and ground use the antenna as the trigger and send the output to both the remote turn-on for the amp, and the input to the antenna.

That wouldn't work, because if it's a power antenna it would only turn the amp on when he was using the radio.

GTS Jeff
02-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by A790

That wouldn't work, because if it's a power antenna it would only turn the amp on when he was using the radio. I'd say it's still worth a shot because many decks will keep the antenna up as long as it's on.

spike98
02-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Agreed jeff, i dont think i have ever used/installed/seen a HU only activate the antenna when JUST the radio is on. Usually if there is power to the deck, the antenna will be up. A simple check with a DMM will reslove any question.

/////AMG
02-22-2006, 04:48 PM
My antenna has been down since bought (antenna wire not hooked up - it is a power antenna which will only go up when the radio is on).
So should I still give it a try?

spike98
02-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
My antenna has been down since bought (antenna wire not hooked up - it is a power antenna which will only go up when the radio is on).
So should I still give it a try?

yes for sure

ga16i
02-22-2006, 10:57 PM
On the wiring harness splice the blue wire (hopefully it's the remote) and wire it to the amp. If it's not the blue one, try the others :) You can tell if it's working if the amp only gets power when the car is in accessory mode. Go grab a voltmeter, find a ground, and test all the wires and see which one has a reading only when in accessory mode, that would be a good guess.

/////AMG
02-27-2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by spike98

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: It worked!! Thanks man!!