PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Honda Accord Exi question

n0bility
02-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey there,

I am new to this site, referred by a friend. I just purchased a 1988 Honda Accord from a guy who posted it on this site. This is actually my first Honda. I have only owned domestic cars before this.

My question is about a couple buttons in the car. To the right of the ignition there is a three switch panel (well two switches and a dimmer wheel). I figure the first swith on the left is high beams, the middle is the dimmer but I can not figure out what the button on the right does. Here is a pic:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1988-89-Honda-Accord-LX-Headlamp-Switch_W0QQitemZ8040564639QQcategoryZ50459QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The other button is in with the environment controls. It is a button that simply says REC. Now I figured that this was the rear window defrost but it does not seem to do that (now it could be broken too).

Oh and one more question. Underneath the hood there is a fuse panel near the front on the passengers side. When I was doing a check on all fuses and such, I noticed that one of the fuses was gone and the pieces that hold it in place were gone as well. The fuse was for something called PTC (it says this on the fuse cover). Here is a pic:

http://autonetwork.org/item154035.ctlg

Should I be looking at replacing the fuse panel for this? and getting the proper fuse for this?

Too many questions in one thread?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

benyl
02-23-2006, 10:46 AM
the first button in the pic looks like the rear defrost... but I could be wrong

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-23-2006, 11:06 AM
it is the rear defrost... also the frist switch is not the high beams... its the switch to keep the lights flipped up while they are off... i have an 86 accord... same setup...as for the fuse panel... not quite sure, maybe it refers to the fuse panel inside the car?

n0bility
02-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Ahh ok, that makes sense about the first button, I remember reading a thread on another forum about someone's lights being stuck in the open position.

Ok so the third button is the rear defrost.

So what is the REC button in with the environment controls?

I wonder if one of those shop manuals actually has the details for the fuse panels and such.

thanks for the replies!!!

BlueGoblin
02-23-2006, 06:57 PM
A friend of mine's dad bought an 88 EXi new. That was a great little car - still runs too with over 350,000 on it.

The REC button, if I recall right, was the "RECirculation" button for the heater/ventilation system. Button out meant fresh air, button in was recirculating the air.

3G
02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Join 3geez.com thats for 86-89 accords

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-24-2006, 12:13 AM
REC = recycled air

3G
02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
REC = recycled air

i think u meant recirculated