PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody else see that motorcycle on Wednesday morning?

Graham_A_M
02-23-2006, 11:53 AM
This was unbelievable... it really amazed me to say the least, I woke up to a fresh blanket of snow, since it was only -4 out, I knew the streets would be really messy, and there would be incredible amounts of accidents all over Calgary. I left the house at 11:30, and slid my way down Deerfoot north. Everybody was doing about 50-70kph or so.
Finally this blue RSX with two guys in their early twenties comes flying by in the fast lane, probably doing 90 or so. I knew they'd lose control, :rolleyes: honestly, that was idiotic.. and sure enough they did, the ass end spun out and they smacked againest the inside of cement divider (or so I'm guessing judging by the skid markes I was approaching after they came to a stop.)
Then the car spun around violently all over the 4 lanes (this was right between 17th ave and Memorial) Only to slide backwards into the far right cement barrier. The airbags were deployed and all, these guys hopped out of the car, to inspect the damage, everything seemed alright. Everybody slowed right down, as did I, then I checked the side view mirror to make sure nobody was going to plow into me, I saw it

A MOTORCYCLE!!!! It was a Enduro style Kawasaki, one of those dark green dual purpose ones. He was in the fast lane doing about 70kph, passing everybody.
I had to take about three looks, I just couldn't believe it.
I didn't think anybody would believe me, so I was reaching for my camera, but no luck.
IT was the most idiotic thing I've EVER seen. I used to drive a bike myself, but this was retarted. It was also -7 the car thermometer was reading.

:confused:

I guess either he had his legal "will" in his back pocket or had a guardian angel riding with him in his back seat. that was nuts.

rc2002
02-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Maybe he had snow tires on. :D

kevie88
02-23-2006, 01:01 PM
coulda had studs.. Trlliborg makes some great studded winter tires. They suck ass on dry pavement tho!

I've ridden in as cold as -15c (on dry pavement) and it was NOT fun. Way too cold!

Graham_A_M
02-23-2006, 02:27 PM
^ my worst was -5, but that was back in highschool, so either take my bike and dress up, or take the bus, which took 2 hours,

I figure he had winter tires. If it was a crotch rocket, man that would have been nuts. what blew me away the most is that, that guy had people following him right behind (about a car length behind) in they're cars. If he would have bailed, there would have been NO time to stop or even swerve.

:drama:

khtm
02-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah I can't believe the nerve of people in cars that tailgate bikes. Seems like it's always guys in pickup trucks too.

5hift
02-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Theres a guy at uni who parks his green Kawi Dually there every school day despite what the weather is. It looks like he built these custom sleeves onto his handlebars so he puts his hands inside to control the bike. Looks kinda crazy but I guess it keeps his hands warm.

BlueGoblin
02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
coulda had studs.. Trlliborg makes some great studded winter tires. They suck ass on dry pavement tho!

I've ridden in as cold as -15c (on dry pavement) and it was NOT fun. Way too cold!

about 15 years ago, a friend and I did some laps of a quiet crescent near his house on his old XT500 just after a blizzard. It was somewhere in the -20/-25 range. We drained the oil out (left it to drain overnight) and cooked it up on a camp stove in his unheated garage before putting it back in. It was the only way to get the engine loose enough to kick over.

The tyres were just knobbies; no studs or anything, and we each fell off a few times in the 2 feet of snow on the ground. No way I would ride anywhere there might be traffic in snow. Stupid, but tons of fun...

When I got my first bike in High School, I rode until it got snowy or below -5. Wouldn't do that again without heated handgrips now though.

legendboy
02-23-2006, 05:07 PM
i saw the rsx. there was also a white s14 with rims that smashed into the right curb at the 32nd ave connector. :banghead:

s dime
02-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
It looks like he built these custom sleeves onto his handlebars so he puts his hands inside to control the bike. Looks kinda crazy but I guess it keeps his hands warm.

I know you can get these for snowmoblies, so maybe he just modified them for motorcycle use. :dunno:

Supa Dexta
02-23-2006, 07:02 PM
someone called it into cjay at lunch.. They were tellin ppl to watch out for him..

over 300 accidents in the city yesterday.. unreal....

shakalaka
02-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Wow!! The dude must have some serious balls i guess!!!

djayz
02-23-2006, 07:13 PM
2 days ago i saw some monster truck motorcycle heading down 16th avenue...it was on a trailer and being towed but i thought it was a tractor tire from behind but when i got beside it there was another one and this little seat and bars way up top

this thing had to be like 12 feet off the ground it was huge!
haha would be fun to ride that around in the snow

Supa Dexta
02-23-2006, 07:17 PM
It was at the show last weekend^... Montser truck tire on the rear and a farm tractor tire up front... must be geared some low...

SilverBoost
02-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Funny thing about it is that I bet the guy on the bike had zero issues.

Too bad we can't say that for all the idiots who wrecked thier car that morning. People who don't know how to drive on snow and/or don't have the right equipment should just stay home or take a cab.

ninspeed
02-23-2006, 09:59 PM
the guy on the bike lives in the appts near me... i see him all the time...

turbo'dGSR
02-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I saw some dude on a bike riding down 22x last night...now thats crazy.

Graham_A_M
02-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Wow, that guy, ninspeed, is frickin nuts. Holy shit.

All it takes is one patch of ice.. thats it. Studded tires help, but a big mound of snow? man.. thats gambling with their lives. Do they not have a car or something?

djayz
02-24-2006, 07:24 AM
with the crazy wet snow and freezeup i think its dangerous for anyone to be driving

i was afraid of popping a tire in downtown cuz some of the snow on the ground was frozen up so hard.

another thing i noticed...off topic but still scary. the size of the icecles forming off of the plus15s in downtown...there one on 9th ave near the tower that has one about 2 1/2 feet long if a truck goes by that thing is going to explode...or it could fall on somebodies car :eek:

Graham_A_M
02-24-2006, 04:57 PM
^ They did today when I was walking downtown. right on the hood of a mid-1990's grey accord. OUCH!!! it was a big one. It for sure must have left a good sized dent, it hit pretty hard.

Police
02-26-2006, 04:57 PM
whats suppose to be more retarded the idiot driving the rsx who thinks hes hot shit or motor biker

5t3v3
02-26-2006, 06:27 PM
The dude probably cannot afford better transportation.
Insurance is only $200 for THE WHOLE YEAR.
With proper tire, equipment, I'm sure it's ridable but it's risky. And remember, those enduro/dual-sport bikes are very light. They only weigh like 300lbs.

I won't do it personally but I can see why someone would do it.