PDA

View Full Version : Yet another moving to calgary thread

downtime
02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
yes, i did a search and i'm not a student so moving close to the univercity isnt a concern for me.I come from montreal and want to move downtown,can anyone tell me what part of downtown would have the most action?Stores,bars ,markets,etc in the area?From what i can find out the downtown are has 2 blocks of action?is this true?Loking for inexspensive area but somewhat safe too.Another thing i keep hearing how exspensive car insurance is,do you use brookers out their or agents?anyone recommend any inexspensive ones?

Sharpie
02-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Might wanna list your budget for a house because it is getting expensive now..

szw
02-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Coming from Montreal you will be very disappointed with Calgary if you are looking to live in an area with lots of action (stores/bars/markets/etc). The closest place to what you mention would be 17Ave, but it is still pretty bad and not cheap to live nearby.

likwid
02-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Ya 17th would be the place to live in if ya want action. If by action you mean hearing police sirens every hour. There are bars as far as the eye can see, and its sweet as hell living on 17th during the summer if ya like the ladies. Be prepared to dish out quite a bit for rent though, I am could have a sweet condo for what I pay for a small 1 bedroom apt here.

downtime
02-23-2006, 09:40 PM
With parking i'm looking at $700 a month for rent ,no i dont want sirens and drivebye action.I was talking more downtown city living action and such.The rason why i want to spend 700 is to see if i like clgary then if i do next yeari will buy a home so in the meantime i dont want to pay crazy rent for nothing.

Sharpie
02-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by downtime
With parking i'm looking at $700 a month for rent ,no i dont want sirens and drivebye action.I was talking more downtown city living actionandsuch.
That is downtown action haha

blueToy
02-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Chances are , you wouldn't like it here . Thanks for thinking of us anyway . Maybe you should try France ? :eek:

ninspeed
02-23-2006, 09:54 PM
700$/month down town??? i think you can stay at the cecil for about that (run down homeless hotel)...you will be out of the core, but try looking south around 50th ave, and Mac Trail, or south of there

Anton
02-23-2006, 09:56 PM
I used to live on 16th Ave and 11th Street. 700 with outside parking. 1 bedroom. You can find much cheaper rooms if you go a bit more west on 17th but that takes you away from the "excitement" of our city. There isn't a lot of action in Calgary...

But hey, if you love snow...you'll love it here! Especially now :rolleyes:

Celica TVS3
02-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Eh, I used to live right on 17th ave and 5th street - we rented it the place for 535/month. The building was a dive but a couple hundred bucks in home improvment our actuall apartment was pretty sweet.

But if you're expecting Montreal style nightlife you'll be disapointed.

l8braker
02-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by szw
Coming from Montreal you will be very disappointed with Calgary if you are looking to live in an area with lots of action (stores/bars/markets/etc). The closest place to what you mention would be 17Ave, but it is still pretty bad and not cheap to live nearby.

Understatement of the year....Montreal is an AMAZING place year round.. while Calgary's only comes alive 1 month out of the year (Stampede)... We have no scene here either.

I'd recommend finding a place just outside the downtown area of Calgary in the surrounding neighbourhoods. Some really cool ones are Mission and Kensington.

Anton
02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
^ what? He said that he will be disappointed...? Unless I misread

l8braker
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
^ no, I did!!! :)

Inglewood is pretty cool too, still relitively close to most things.

snowboard
02-23-2006, 10:17 PM
id check out pinridge and whitehorn
top notch neighbourhoods lots of action for fairly cheap :D

downtime
02-23-2006, 10:23 PM
No i dont expect montreal action nor do i want it,which is one of the reasons why i'm moving i want something a little quieter but not totally dead.Bit of scarcasim here so i dont know if you areas i have been told in this thread are what i'm looking for or are you just sending me into the ghetto and think it's funny,Anyway's thanks for the help so far and if anyone else canhelp me out that would be great too.

samo147
02-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Remember 17th Ave SW
and not 17th Ave SE..
even though the SE isnt that bad or anything
but what the people are refering to above ^ is 17th Ave SW

Celica TVS3
02-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Here are the ligitimate areas people have noted:

17th Ave SW
Mission
Bankview
Kensington
Ingelwood
(I would actually look in that order)

You don't want to live in Whitehorn, Forest Lawn, or Pine Ridge. They're not getthos but they aren't what you're looking for.

Goblin
02-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Not ghetto's? Pretty damn close I'd say.

If you want inner core, damn, your looking like 1500 -2g's + :eek:

Get out into the country man, nice and quiet, no noises, if you want fun in the city, just drive down

turbotrip
02-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by snowboard
top notch neighbourhoods lots of action

hahah i dont think thats the kind of action hes looking for

downtime
02-24-2006, 05:28 AM
Well i wont be moving to paris but i will be moving to calgary as i stated.To those of you who were helpful thanks, and i will start looking.

dub_c
02-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by snowboard
top notch neighbourhoods lots of action for fairly cheap :D

don't be hatin on whitehorn.

alloroc
02-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Download/buy a city map and print it on 11 x 17

Trace out and learn the LRT routes (light rail transit)

17 ave. SW isn't all that bad but finding reasonable rent may be difficult

Getting anything near an LRT station will give you easy downtown access.

Go here and click on the Calgary transit grid map...
http://www.calgarytransit.com/Routes/route.html

Read this website
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dixiex2/calgarycity.htm

Celica TVS3
02-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Goblin
Not ghetto's? Pretty damn close I'd say.

Clearly you've never seen a 'real' rough community. :rolleyes:

downtime
03-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Mission,bankview,kensington,and inglewood are located in what parts of the city,all properties for rent online are located by area north,northeast,southwest,etc???????????

ZedMan
03-24-2006, 03:03 PM
well downtown is pretty much right where nw, sw, and se meet
mission and bankview = sw inglewood = se

*edit* my bad :nut: kensington =nw

Celica TVS3
03-24-2006, 03:04 PM
They are all very close to the downtown core.

SW: Mission, Bankview
SE: Ingelwood
NW: Kensington

http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6266

This is how the city is divided. If you click on each quadrant you can see the communities within it. Note: that map doesn't corrospond directly with the quadrants but it's close enough.

Hope that helps.
-Aaron

ZedMan
03-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Just FYI; MLS is good but it takes a few days for houses to appear on it, and with calgary's insane-o real estate right now it might be gone by the time you see it.

joyridder
03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
www.homerent.ca
www.rentfaster.ca

Try these and you will find something reasonable! Good luck with your search!!:devil:

downtime
03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Excellent,thanks everyone for the help,i just want to make sure to stay away from the bad areas buy city location.(as mentioned in this thread).

dragonone
03-24-2006, 06:23 PM
u can try uptown calgary, which is what 17th ave is
i'm on 4th/13th ave, 4 blocks away
525 sq ft. w/ utilities+parking 700/month
no spaces at the moment tho~

there are lots of places for that price, it just depends on the view, level, and age of the building

and altho some of the nicer apartments dt are newer, i seem to think mine is managed very well, with a security guard onsite every nite

Goblin
03-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by ZedMan
well downtown is pretty much right where nw, sw, and se meet
mission and bankview = sw inglewood = se

*edit* my bad :nut: kensington =nw

let this thread die dude.. its a month old!

FYI = no more houses can be built ATM, no more lots :|

downtime
03-24-2006, 07:56 PM
dragonone,you are correct as i look at the older buildings which the apartments are bigger but not new,they do have some good values with lots to offer.I will keep serching in your area and see if i can find anything.This thread is a month old but that is the good thing about most people from alberta they are always willing to help out.Fyi i am not looking for a house but an apartment like the thread says.

ZedMan
03-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Goblin

let this thread die dude.. its a month old!

FYI = no more houses can be built ATM, no more lots :|

<hands up> wasn't me :angel:

downtime
03-26-2006, 01:21 PM
After reading the link that was posted
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dixiex2/calgarycity.htm

How is the north west part of town(other than kensington)???????????

~Leah~
03-26-2006, 02:03 PM
I've lived in the Northwest since I've moved here and loved it... never had a problem with crime or anything, very accessable by transit and stuff too.

Mar
03-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
700$/month down town??? i think you can stay at the cecil for about that (run down homeless hotel)...you will be out of the core, but try looking south around 50th ave, and Mac Trail, or south of there

I've lived in a 13 Avenue 1 bedroom for $680 and a 19 Avenue 2 bedroom for $750 (total). Get a place just a few blocks south of 17 Avenue SW and west of 4 Street SW. You'll be fine there and real close to everything, downtown starts around 8 Avenue SW and goes north from there, 7 Avenue, 6 Avenue, you get the idea.

t-im
03-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Look up Lower Mount Royal.