PDA

View Full Version : i hate my life....

Grip172
02-24-2006, 04:49 PM
...so i called Honda today to ask about my lost and only car key..

turns out i can't JUST have a new one cut and re-coded. not for my specific generation.. fuggin hell..

i have to get a new key cut - $17 which will enable me to actually get INSIDE my car
then i have to get it towed to honda, that'll be roughly $100-150.
then honda has to install a new immoblizer system and all that crap and i'll get a new master key, slave key etc etc and that alone is $532.
and of course we have to tack on labour charges!
3 hours of labour @ $95/hour = $285
and then we have lovely tax charges
oh and i can't forget the permit i need to have temporary insurance on my car as it's towed 15kms to the nearest Honda dealership = @ $30-60.

so yeahl...its going to cost me about $1000 or so JUST TO BE ABLE TO START MY CAR...this is the worst news i've heard. this freakin sucks balls. and its hard enough trying to get a tow company to tow a lowered car...fuck i'm choked right now. i dont' even have $200 to my name...Son of a..

END RANT

Bill Cosby
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
take the bus? :dunno:

snowboard
02-24-2006, 04:53 PM
thats fuckin garbage
sorry to hear that man

B20EF
02-24-2006, 04:54 PM
I was kind of in the same position, I also had to replace the whole steering column and ignition, so I got a used one from JDM Source for under $100. Only down side is I have two keys for the car - door and ignition.

handsomebassman
02-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Man, thats really a shitty situation.

You could always tear all of the honda stuff out, and create your own ignition setup :nut:

rony_espana
02-24-2006, 05:06 PM
can't you just get a locksmith to cut you a new key? They got some mobile guys around town.

kane584
02-24-2006, 05:11 PM
are u selling your car ? i might buy it forr u , is it that prelude by any chance ?:burnout:

Stephen81
02-24-2006, 09:03 PM
shitty deal! were you aware that your key had an immobilizer chip in it and that losing it would put you in a world of hurt? the dealership explained that world of hurt when they handed me the keys to my car and i'll be damned if i'm ever losing them haha. good luck though!

Sharpie
02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
can't you just get a locksmith to cut you a new key? They got some mobile guys around town.
Learn how to wead...:rolleyes:

Also maybe the key is in the car?

Drew
02-24-2006, 09:08 PM
That sucks

A2VR6
02-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Ouch man thats harsh, hope to hell that never happens to me.

Kobe
02-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
take the bus? :dunno:

I think he is selling it becuase he is already broke ass and taking the bus to school...

Originally posted by kane584
are u selling your car ? i might buy it forr u , is it that prelude by any chance ?:burnout:

Yah this his lude...

guessboi
02-24-2006, 11:46 PM
:banghead: that gotta sux. so what's your plan then?

rony_espana
02-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

Learn how to wead...:rolleyes:

Also maybe the key is in the car?

Sorry, but I've never had a key with an immobilizer, so I am not familiar with it loser, it was just a suggestion.

arian_ma
02-25-2006, 02:08 AM
You could try and dodge the towing charges by asking a fellow beyonder to lend you a hand with their AMA card :angel:

Good luck with everything else.

Grip172
02-25-2006, 02:16 AM
yeah i'm so pissed off today

yes it is my lude which is for sale

and yes i'm still pissed off

i dont' ahve this kind of retarded money to put out at the moment and its not really going to help a sale when i have to get all this shit down. its bad enough tow companies hate towing lowered cars..especially in this weather.

i am currently taking the public transit because the Lude gets stored for winter, i haven't driven it since october :eek:

and as for the locksmith...i don't think that'll help

ebay?

Police
02-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Grip172
yeah i'm so pissed off today

yes it is my lude which is for sale

and yes i'm still pissed off

i dont' ahve this kind of retarded money to put out at the moment and its not really going to help a sale when i have to get all this shit down. its bad enough tow companies hate towing lowered cars..especially in this weather.

i am currently taking the public transit because the Lude gets stored for winter, i haven't driven it since october :eek:

and as for the locksmith...i don't think that'll help

ebay?

Ha Ha you got shafted good.

j/k lol

SpoonEK9@STRD
02-25-2006, 02:48 AM
cant you just swap the ecu with an older gen h22...then start it with the key ypu got made for 17 bucks....

i have no idea what im talking about but i think the immobilizer is inside ecu on hondas, correct?

mutsuraboshi
02-25-2006, 02:57 AM
havnet owned a newer car than 93, are you guys talking about the keys that have a microchip inside them nowadays? i heard my dad talking about that when he got his tl

1-Bar
02-25-2006, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9
cant you just swap the ecu with an older gen h22...then start it with the key ypu got made for 17 bucks....

i have no idea what im talking about but i think the immobilizer is inside ecu on hondas, correct?

you are correct only if it is a 5-speed prelude.....I've done it with my previous car. Ran a OBDI Chipped P28....all in all, costs about $200 for ECU, chipping and conversion harness....you just need your key...

5hift
02-25-2006, 08:45 AM
You might want to check out ebay, I remember someone selling the all their keys and the immobilizer set up for the lude for relatively cheap a while back.

Grip172
02-25-2006, 10:41 AM
fuck

pinoyhero
02-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Man that is unbelieveable, sorry to hear that, what a waste.

gofastmerc
02-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Call a different dealer. I really don't think you need to replace anything, other than the key. They just have to reprogram the car to accept it. (I think)

Still not cheap, but a lost lost key should not be 1K :bullshit:

Cavey
02-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah, with the ford keys we have a locksmith cut the key, and then the customer brings it in and it gets programmed to the vehicle. You still need to have the vehicle at the dealership. But we don't need to replace the immobilizer.

Unknown303
02-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Isnt' there some simpler way to bypass the chip. Little reverse engineering.

kane584
02-25-2006, 12:20 PM
hey im interested in your car, i sent you a pm btw, :)
also, if try looking throguh the windows to see if the key is somewhere in the car, if you find it, get some one to hold the the open with a crow bar just slightly, andd stick in a fishing rod, and fish for the key :bigpimp:

thats what i did hen i forgot my keys in my moms toyota lol

actually i dont recommend it on a sexy prelude tho, it might damage it lol

gp36912
02-25-2006, 12:33 PM
if you do see the keys inside the car, then just call a locksmith, much cheaper than anything that could happen if you try to pry it open with a crowbar and try to fish the key out. the average price is around 35-40 bucks

A790
02-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Grip172
...so i called Honda today to ask about my lost and only car key..

turns out i can't JUST have a new one cut and re-coded. not for my specific generation.. fuggin hell..

i have to get a new key cut - $17 which will enable me to actually get INSIDE my car
then i have to get it towed to honda, that'll be roughly $100-150.
then honda has to install a new immoblizer system and all that crap and i'll get a new master key, slave key etc etc and that alone is $532.
and of course we have to tack on labour charges!
3 hours of labour @ $95/hour = $285
and then we have lovely tax charges
oh and i can't forget the permit i need to have temporary insurance on my car as it's towed 15kms to the nearest Honda dealership = @ $30-60.

so yeahl...its going to cost me about $1000 or so JUST TO BE ABLE TO START MY CAR...this is the worst news i've heard. this freakin sucks balls. and its hard enough trying to get a tow company to tow a lowered car...fuck i'm choked right now. i dont' even have $200 to my name...Son of a..

END RANT

Sounds to me like they are rooking you man.

There is no fucking way that replacing a lost key should be that expensive. I'd tell them to eat it, and go seek a different opinion.

If that is how it HAS to be, I feel for you :(

Kobe
02-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
if you do see the keys inside the car, then just call a locksmith, much cheaper than anything that could happen if you try to pry it open with a crowbar and try to fish the key out. the average price is around 35-40 bucks
Unless his a dumb ass.. Im sure he tried 2 look inside..

The problem he is having is not starting the car....

ca2p3r
02-25-2006, 05:05 PM

:devil:

db1
02-25-2006, 05:38 PM
yo sorry to hear about that, but one upside
my dad was a honda tech for a few years, and he handled some of this stuff, 1000 bucks is way off, and its all wrong what they told you, and to get another quote from another dealership..

Hakkola
02-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
You could try and dodge the towing charges by asking a fellow beyonder to lend you a hand with their AMA card :angel:

Nope, AMA doesn't tow lowered cars. I learned that the hard way.

arian_ma
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
^^ What do they like take a ruler and measure?
AMA are a bunch of bitches...

Grip172
02-26-2006, 12:39 AM
yeah i called a few other places..i also called some locksmiths and they told me i'm screwed. i even talked to thea pparently highly recommended "dude of automotive lcoking mechinisms" and he told me i'm screwed. honda even told me that th e98 weas the first year they tried a new high tech immoblizer system

so all in all..i'm screwed. and i can't even get a damn truck to tow it to the dealer..all the companies i called, don't have the right trucks or hate doing lowered cars.

also, i DID manage to get a key to get INSIDE my car...so that's a plus..and the guy at honda felt bad for me and only charged me $7 haha..NICE

1-Bar
02-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Crazy Kooter tows lowered cars.....why don't you give him a try....

Grip172
02-26-2006, 01:49 PM
hmmm ok?