PDA

View Full Version : Considering an M3?

ondubs
02-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Hello,

Over the past few months I have been looking at some M3's between 2003 and 2005. I have done a fair bit of research regarding this model and BMW in general. However wondering if anyone has some first hand information they could pass on to me before the purchase. I am scheduled to look at a new arrival at a Calgary dealership next week.

thanks,

- marc

LudeRoca
02-25-2006, 06:11 PM
not many people on here have m3's. But all i can say to you is that there are FUCKIN :bigpimp: in

Goblin
02-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Only buy an m3 that is made 02 +.

Before that, they had some issues with the engine and transmission.

Some issues being, quite major. Many cars might not of had the recalled issues fixed, i.e, airbags, which could hurt you in the long run.

I see that you have chosen 03+ which is a really good idea.

03's+:

Have 19" rims as an option or standard, cant remember, (good idea, 18's dont look very good imo).

BEFORE
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5903/picture556h1vy.jpg
AFTER
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/4308/picture6160so.jpg

They have L.E.D rear lights standard, however, you can update an 01-02 for example. (Costly though, looking at 1k CAD + LCM $400). These look MUCH nicer ;)

Lots of people the SMG is not refined enough in this car unless you have the second generation, I believe its 04 +, so a Manual transmission imo is your best bet. (I would get a standard, I love the BMW's gearbox)

The 06 m3 that is coming out has revised these:

- Leather upholstery newly standard in Coupe
- Newly composed Premium Package
- Power rear-window sunshade newly available in Coupe.
- Optional 19-in. forged alloy wheel no longer available on Coupe with Competition Package.

You can do a retrofit on the sunshade, that is very easy and possible as eurospec have them allready.

Once you get an m3 there are many "must do" mods, ie., eliminating that exhaust "rasp" using:
-stebro section 1 495 at www.stebro.com

Then:
-CAI (ECIS makes a great one)
-Exhaust (many makes, you can search at e46f)

to make her sound a little more like 340 hp ;)

Thats all I can think about atm....

Check out www.e46fanatics.com, in the forum there is an m3 section full of information. There are many people asking the same questions as you, and is probably better.

Most people here are younger with "tuner" cars etc.

Good Luck

pinoyhero
02-25-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm looking at an M3 too but am down right scared of the maintenance bills. I'd go for one with warranty and the opt to ectend it as far as possible.

Goblin
02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
^ That is what everyone says, why?

-Shop labour is same as any other place, $100 hr.
-Parts are not that expensive, you need to learn to purchase them youself.

For example, full clears from dealer (Front, side marker, and rear lights)

=Just over 700.

Online? 300.

Dealerships are called stealerships.

You can buy many parts online and do stuff youself, ie, oil change = 50, yourself, = 8.

Many of the inspection 1 and 2, are just that, expensive inspections. Take it to places listed on here for good BMW mechanics, the names elude me at the moment however.

Use common sense! (Shit happens though, so don't forget ;))

grrouch
02-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Goblin

Dealerships are called stealerships.

:rofl:

AllGoNoShow
02-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Theirs a post about the other BMW Mechanics we've been talking about in here somewhere.

Yes the parts themselves aren't overly bad, most new car maintence can be done yourself unless your breaking shit because of power/abuse, but the main stuff is easy and cheap to do yourself.

e46fanatics.com is one place to definatly stop by and look at a bunch before you buy it.

civicrider
02-25-2006, 07:19 PM
if your interested in an 2002 silver m3 never winter driven its drop top i have one available

m10-power
02-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Goblin

You can buy many parts online and do stuff youself, ie, oil change = 50, yourself, = 8.

What kind of oil are you getting for $8? That won't even get you a filter.

BMW gives you no charge maintence 4year or 80k km so why worry.

If you can afford an new M3 maintence should be an issue.

Goblin
02-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

What kind of oil are you getting for $8? That won't even get you a filter.

BMW gives you no charge maintence 4year or 80k km so why worry.

If you can afford an new M3 maintence should be an issue.

My slip up, sorry. I was thinking oil change, and then filter.

So I guess you would add synthetic oil, so 25 bucks yourself?

ondubs
02-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the information, the maintainance isn't really an issue i'm too worried about. I think as long as you stay on the scheduled plan things work out well, although it is a car and parts wear out.

The car i'm looking at has 15000km on it so it's still pretty new.
As to the offer of the 02 M3 cab, thanks but i'm looking for the phenix yellow ext color and I've found one at the year and price range i've been looking at.

Goblin
02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Take me for a ride sometime, never been in a moving M3, only M5 and 645ci.. Need to complete the lower range now ;)