PDA

View Full Version : wtf... jdm

Pages : [1] 2

HTN SWCHS
02-26-2006, 02:40 AM
just a little mini rant

why is jdm stuff so expensive and cool? (hondas in general)

i understand motors and stuff are a good value but $70-130 for a stock shift boot with red stitching? or a backseat with red stitching?:dunno: i just dont get it? when is it soo awesome to keep your car as stock japanese and clean as possible? i like my car because it stands out, call it a ricer if you will but thats the whole point of customization... since when is it soo awesome to have red (i think thats it) needles on your gauges > a bodykit with custom paint

i dont know

end mini rant

btw: yes there are some downsides to custom cars like altezzas, neon liscense plates/underglow, exessive stickers, and hubcaps

HTN SWCHS
02-26-2006, 02:45 AM
and even non jdm stuff, cheaply made aftermarket parts are overpriced and good quality stuff is too expensive? wtf?

Zephyr
02-26-2006, 02:49 AM
Supply and Demand. People want teh JDMness and thus supply is given at a price.

7thgenvic
02-26-2006, 02:57 AM
i still like:

washer LED's
shoulder pads
underglow
beyond.ca stickers

you know...all the stuff that is cheap now! haha

HTN SWCHS
02-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

thats right, but all this stuff is literally japans trash, sitting in a junkyard, shipped over here and given an unreal markup

do a search on jdm in the marketplace and youll find alot of the stuff is unbelievably overpriced

Team_Mclaren
02-26-2006, 04:16 AM
goods are priced at what people are willing to pay for them.

its just that simple. imo A LOT of things are overpriced, not just jdm parts.

That.Guy.S30
02-26-2006, 01:19 PM
lol. honda jdm stuff is cheap compared to subaru jdm STi stuff.

SilverBoost
02-26-2006, 01:38 PM
When people stop buying it, the price will go down. I guarantee it. :D

Demand is directly related to cost.

EK 2.0
02-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by HTN SWCHS
just a little mini rant

why is jdm stuff so expensive and cool? (hondas in general)

i understand motors and stuff are a good value but $70-130 for a stock shift boot with red stitching? or a backseat with red stitching?:

If you are paying 70 bucks for a JDM ITR Shift boot...you are getting ripped I sell them for like 50 bucks mang...which is hardly more than your stock boot cost...

DannyO
02-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Like said, its just supply and demand, JDM stuff is basically the fad right now, when something else becomes the fad, JDM prices will drop. Theres loads of automotive things that are well overpriced though IMO.

danno
02-26-2006, 03:35 PM
does anyone know what our 93 rx7- japans 91, will be worth.
i guess in japan they had it in 91 so it's available this year

Lo)2enz0
02-26-2006, 03:45 PM
you can get them in october. I am thinking that they will be going for about $9000-10,000 for a 3 grade

Clanche
02-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
you can get them in october. I am thinking that they will be going for about $9000-10,000 for a 3 grade

i bet you its gonna be huge business for Rotary Specialties if everyone starts bringing over FDs

danno
02-26-2006, 04:26 PM
beats the hell out of paying 20k for one here, say 9k plus a new engine installed 14-15k. not to bad i guess.

HTN SWCHS
02-26-2006, 06:28 PM
any way to skip the middleman and import a car yourself? one guy i know imports engines and his dad is over in japan,

CIVIC_MAN
02-26-2006, 07:54 PM
i dont understand people that pay $300/wheel for 15" mugen wheels that look like ass

lastprodigy
02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
i dont understand people that pay 300 dollars for buddy club front bumper that looks like ass :rolleyes: same argument, its all about opinion

jdm_cvc05
02-26-2006, 08:15 PM
well for 1) slickness is nice, body kits are pointless..., and yes JDM parts are WAYYY over priced but look nice cmon when you sit in a nice EG or ITR that has black bucket seats with red stitching carbon dash leather wheel with red accents, red dials and needles on dash, CLEAN car but beautiful accents giving you the feeling your in a race car... some body kits are nice dont get me wrong but keeping your car clean enough to avoid unneccisary attention(Break and enters into your car, cops, .etc) and have enough steeze to rape the next guy that thinks hes hot shiot its worth it. and well if your car is worth looking at th people will notice the effort people put into JDM..

and yeh its a fad and costs way to much.

jdm_cvc05
02-26-2006, 08:15 PM
yes i made one point that turned into 300... haha

EK 2.0
02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
it's all subjective...

JDM, Bodykits, Turbo's, N/A...it's your whip...you do with it what you please...

pinoyhero
02-26-2006, 09:22 PM

Markets decide prices, I like this answer.

7thgenvic
02-26-2006, 09:30 PM
JDM is the new rice, simply put!!!!

what was once RARE parts are now so overly done and overly priced. Go figure. Im curious what the new rice will be.

Back to huge spoilers retarded paint jobs! PROBABLY

BerserkerCatSplat
02-26-2006, 09:39 PM
JDM is the new rice, but in the sense that people are willing to spend outrageous amounts of money on special "JDM" parts that give little or no performance benefits.

Honestly, I much prefer the JDM fad to the F&F fad.

Zephyr
02-26-2006, 09:59 PM

thats right, but all this stuff is literally japans trash, sitting in a junkyard, shipped over here and given an unreal markup

do a search on jdm in the marketplace and youll find alot of the stuff is unbelievably overpriced

I live in California, we have JDM up the ying yang, we started the trend.

We like Japan's trash, they like our trash. Big deal. If you cant afford it and whine because you can't, then maybe this hobby isn't for you. Everything has a mark up.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-27-2006, 12:03 AM
i like the clean feel of jdm... its like rice meets sleeper... its a good middleman for me

Xtrema
02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
We like Japan's trash, they like our trash. Big deal. If you cant afford it and whine because you can't, then maybe this hobby isn't for you. Everything has a mark up.

The whole point is having shit that you're not suppose to or can't have.

CIVIC_MAN
02-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
i dont understand people that pay 300 dollars for buddy club front bumper that looks like ass :rolleyes: same argument, its all about opinion

if only we could rewind time

lastprodigy
02-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by CIVIC_MAN

if only we could rewind time

Props for admit...respect for you +1....lol im not a huge fan of h-core jdm either ;)

HTN SWCHS
02-27-2006, 07:45 PM
^ :rofl:

Originally posted by jdm_cvc05
well for 1)and have enough steeze to rape the next guy that thinks hes hot shiot

i dont think red accents do that for you

it not about offording anything, companies see a vulnerable market and charge an outrageous price for parts, kind of like a childrens toys market

im still gonna buy stuff, just bitch about it more, like groceries, i went grocery shopping for the first time, FKING OUTRAGEOUS
3.49 for 2 fking tomatoes (daylight fking robbery)

im kind of catching on to the more clean look, planning to spend 500 to get my bumpers back to stock w/lips, my tsc sides look clean so ill keep them (but no red stitched shift boots for me)

88CRX
02-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Then go buy a ugly blue and white momo shift boot for the same price.

Different strokes for different folks.

/thread.

EK 2.0
02-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Then go buy a ugly blue and white momo shift boot for the same price.

Different strokes for different folks.

/thread.

hear, hear...well said...

Lo)2enz0
02-27-2006, 08:24 PM
whoa haven't seen this in a bit. well look at the market for jdm goods. its extremely high because people want to look different and have those small differences on there car. Like who pays for rear windows on a car that say 180sx when most people will barely notice it. well for 1 i do. its all about being different. people like what they don't have, and here thats jdm parts. for example if they wanted parts off of our usdm cars they would do the same. and as for prices your mostly paying for the costs to get those pieces here. have any of you looked at the shipping costs from japan. i bought a couple of pieces from over there and shipping is what made those parts expensive.

for another example on my car, i bought the kouki 180sx seats. these are exactly the same as s14 seats when it comes to the feel of the seat. why did i go this route, because the fabric is better and it says 180sx down the middle. plus the shift boots with red sticking are nice, its just small details that add to your car.

Teggy2nr
02-27-2006, 11:13 PM
To me its all about the details, and the japanese pay very close attention to that. When is see a car from a distance that looks good enough to catch my eye and I walk up to it to get a closer look at it and see that no attention to detail has been paid I loose all respect for it. But when I see a car that has I can truly appreciate it, and I think that is why this whole jdm thin is so big because more people are starting to realize this, and all thes little jdm accents are what it takes to achive this because the us market is just plain to me and I think you need more than a bodykit and rims to stand out nowadays

CIVIC_MAN
02-28-2006, 12:28 AM
there is a difference between clean and jdm.... clean is very appealing to me, jdm on the other hand...

JordanEG6
02-28-2006, 01:11 AM

"one mans trash is another mans gold"

if people didn't want it so much, the prices wouldnt be that high. i guess the question is, why would people want this shit in the first place?

Lo)2enz0
02-28-2006, 03:03 AM
there is a difference between clean and jdm.... clean is very appealing to me, jdm on the other hand...

there really is no difference between jdm and clean unless your going with the hardcore jdm kits that cost you your left nut. But when you look at a crx for instance. the new ones will have the more aggressive headlights, slightly different taillights, yellow fog lights, you know things that people barely notice unless you put a usdm car beside a jdm car. this guy i know put jdm taillights on his ef hatch and no one at the show noticed the ef9 taillights which were cool. but you know what i am saying, really no difference unless you start to add the jdm kits. i still would love a crx with a real mugen kit.

antoniobeyond
02-28-2006, 04:22 AM
jdm = as cool as a dungeons and dragons convention. Mostly for hardcore nerds who sit around on weekends talking about their cars in their moms basement.

Of course price is dictated by supply and demand, this is a given, i'm not sure why you posted it. I believe he was wondering why the demand was so high, and the answer to this is because its a fad, and because people in north america think anything japanese is cool. The more japanese it is, the cooler.

88CRX
02-28-2006, 07:42 AM
So much hate from all the ricers :rolleyes:

Rocky
02-28-2006, 07:56 AM
I think it just comes down to uniqueness (as mentioned by a couple people in this thread). People want their car to stand out and get attention, and JDM parts can give it a unique style that few else are offering. An Integra w/ a JDM front end, sidemarkers... stands out a lot to anybody who knows that USDM Integra's have the bugeyes, for example. Skylines were at one point rare, and everyone would be like "omg Skyline!" when you rolled up in one. Etc.

Personally, I think money is made to be spent. If you wanna get JDM then go for it, just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons (i.e. Do it for yourself, not because everyone else is doing it these days). If making your car "cool" is not high on your priorities, that's fine, but then you can't complain about prices either. You either wanna do it or you don't.

EK 2.0
02-28-2006, 08:22 AM
*ahem*, what do we have here...contradictory much??*ahem* (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121028)

4doorj
02-28-2006, 09:07 AM
i like the way jdm kits fit:thumbsup:
i used to think that jdm was only japenese stock parts.....
but then i found out it wasnt...haha..
now i love jdm stuff!!! but i like the agressive jdm stuff like
veilside... j's racing... mugen... spoon...sorcery(sp)
all that good stuff... the quality is just awsome!!!
usually alot of r&d go into jdm stuff... so it looks like it flows alot better then usdm stuff... also some of their jdm stuff is actually aero dynamic and do something instead of just adding weight

but alot of the jdm performance parts for n/a are way too pricey.... i think i would rather go with a turbo or a supercharger..
but the quality of jdm n/a stuff is awsome... just look at mugen intakes and everything... awsome:thumbsup:

b_t
02-28-2006, 09:22 AM
i dont understand people that pay $300/wheel for 15" mugen wheels that look like ass

I remember making a thread back in the day about that white Civic with those hideous Mugen rims and it almost got me banned. :D the JDM fad must really be losing steam if you can question it right out in the open nowadays :rofl: the new bandwagon is drifting!

CIVIC_MAN
02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0

there really is no difference between jdm and clean unless your going with the hardcore jdm kits....

yea, my car with a front lip instead of a kit would be clean, yet it is far from anything that could be considered jdm.

88CRX
02-28-2006, 04:52 PM
yea, my car with a front lip instead of a kit would be clean, yet it is far from anything that could be considered jdm.

JDM is clean (most JDM that is)

however...

clean doesnt always mean its JDM.

CIVIC_MAN
02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

clean doesnt always mean its JDM.

exactly :thumbsup:

arian_ma
02-28-2006, 05:16 PM
lol, if by JDM you guys mean VOLK rims and Mugen lip kits, then yes, I love JDM.

if you mean 14" rims for 4k, I am not so much a fan.

All show no go right?

88CRX
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
lol, if by JDM you guys mean VOLK rims and Mugen lip kits, then yes, I love JDM.

if you mean 14" rims for 4k, I am not so much a fan.

All show no go right?

So what makes 17" volks for $3000 anymore "JDM" then some 15" Mugen's for $2000.

Lo)2enz0
02-28-2006, 07:05 PM

ya but if you look at alot of the lips that are out there they are based on jdm ones....

like for your car, the sir lip for example

but you see you guys are looking at this in the japanese look because the thread is jdm, but what about all of the euro guys? what makes it so much different?

navdeep
02-28-2006, 09:04 PM
JDM i would ant pay that much for having stuff from japan i save the money and get a trubo

CIVIC_MAN
02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Learn to talk

EK 2.0
02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Learn to talk

learn some manners...

88CRX
02-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by navdeep
JDM i would ant pay that much for having stuff from japan i save the money and get a trubo

I dont understand where everyone gets the notion that JDM parts are that much more then QUALITY USDM parts... cause there not.

A Spoon or Mugen exhaust isnt much more, if any, then a Skunk2 exhaust.

Mugen body parts are no more then buying new OEM parts.

You can compare "jdm" parts to shitty quality usdm reactive crap.

mshaw
03-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
*ahem*, what do we have here...contradictory much??*ahem* (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121028)

haha oh contrare

Hash_man
03-01-2006, 01:24 AM
it's all subjective...

JDM, Bodykits, Turbo's, N/A...it's your whip...you do with it what you please...

Exactly... I personally like the JDM style, but I won't go out of my way to spend rediculous amounts of money on something just because its "JDM"

I dont understand where everyone gets the notion that JDM parts are that much more then QUALITY USDM parts... cause there not.

I agree with this completely... I remember an article in c-16 a while back that talked about that a lot. There are many quality manufacturers in North-america, and a lot of the time they don't get the respect they deserve because they are not "JDM"

And on the wheel bit, I kinda think buying used wheels for $2000 more then knockoffs is sometimes kinda stupid, especially when some of these knockoff's are pretty good quality, and look the same, IMO i'd rather have new stuff, then old beat up crap.

But most of the time people like JDM wheels because they are good quality, and look good.

7thgenvic
03-01-2006, 01:40 AM
its all personal opinion! i would rather have nice clean, well fitting parts from japan, considered JDM parts then some ugly HUGE kit made by APC.

I find that authentic nissan/honda parts are better quality as well.

HTN SWCHS
03-01-2006, 01:54 AM

hey its a nice piece, makes the driver feel more comfortable and enclosed (now that has a decent purpose), i should change that to usdm since i was told jdm curves around the other way to conform to rhd

examples

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117663
or
JDM Rear Seat For 88-91 CRX: Includes Bum portion, Back portion and Cargo Cover... It can be installed for 'show', although it will require additional pieces for 'proper' installation, The additional pieces can be obtained on eBay at reasonable prices.
$250obo

dont mean to knock on anyones items for sale though, im sorry if i have

CIVIC_MAN
03-01-2006, 01:11 PM
those wheels are sick ass:barf:

7thgenvic
03-01-2006, 02:39 PM
those wheels are sick ass:barf:
your wheels? or which ones

lastprodigy
03-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

your wheels? or which ones

no, the ones in the link you dolt....worth more they may be

INITIALD
03-01-2006, 02:56 PM

your wheels?

:rofl:

7thgenvic
03-01-2006, 04:06 PM

no, the ones in the link you dolt....worth more they may be

ooo those wheels! hehe oops my bad

HTN SWCHS
03-02-2006, 12:47 AM

fendercontender
03-02-2006, 12:54 AM
JDM is dead, well, maybe not dead, but dying, i dont get the fad :dunno:

HTN SWCHS
03-02-2006, 01:03 AM
what comes after jdm? i cant picture much else for hondas

skylines are already overrated, import rx7? not with these gas prices, domestics? uhh no, maybe every car out there will be boosted awd's

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-02-2006, 01:20 AM
what does jdm stand for? Japan(ese?) D? M?

88CRX
03-02-2006, 07:50 AM
what comes after jdm? i cant picture much else for hondas

I dont get what your trying to achive with this thread? Are you trying to get people to justify their "jdm" cars or parts?

And what do you mean... what come after jdm? Once the "fad" dies out great... great... no more bitters.

I dont get where your going.

Aleks
03-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
what does jdm stand for? Japan(ese?) D? M?

Domestic Market.

I find the older i get the less I want my car attracting attention. Tastes change, people change. :dunno:

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-02-2006, 08:38 AM
I want my car to attract a little attention.. on the outside... i want the focus more on the interior, more like someone gets in my car and is really impressed with how good it looks... (i like a slightly riced yet still clean look)

JordanEG6
03-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by fendercontender
JDM is dead, well, maybe not dead, but dying, i dont get the fad :dunno:

i think civics with huge body kits, altezzas and underglow are dead. 'jdm' isn't dying IMO, i see more people jumping into the bandwagon as time passes. its just a love or hate it concept...some people just hate flat black sw388s, red and green wheels and products that cost way past retail :D

Originally posted by Aleks

Domestic Market.

I find the older i get the less I want my car attracting attention. Tastes change, people change. :dunno:

:werd: back then i had the 'pounding' 12 " subs, huge, loud exhaust, and painted and neon lit interior now i developed a taste for clean cars ... so i try and be discrete to avoid attracting too much attention

7thgenvic
03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
this thread is kinda bunk and dying.......i think that people calling clean cars JDM is kinda gay. Don't call it JDM just because they like their car too look stock.>> GEZZZ

CIVIC_MAN
03-02-2006, 04:19 PM
^^^ ya ive seen so many people say their stock car is hardcore jdm. 14" black steelies and lowered doesn't make your car jdm

7thgenvic
03-02-2006, 08:30 PM
^^^ ya ive seen so many people say their stock car is hardcore jdm. 14" black steelies and lowered doesn't make your car jdm

^^^oops i have to edit my mean statement

EK 2.0
03-02-2006, 08:31 PM

yeah it does...my 'Vic was made in Japan...hence...JDM...:rolleyes:

7thgenvic
03-02-2006, 08:31 PM
^^^i don't hear people call that shit JDM

CIVIC_MAN
03-02-2006, 09:43 PM

yeah it does...my 'Vic was made in Japan...hence...JDM...:rolleyes:

that doesnt matter, its the styling of the car. or i could have a ten foot wing on my civic orange rims green paint huge body kit and say my car is jdm

EK 2.0
03-03-2006, 12:10 AM
that doesnt matter, its the styling of the car. or i could have a ten foot wing on my civic orange rims green paint huge body kit and say my car is jdm

JDM is what you make it...if you make it a big deal then it is...if you make the F&F fads a big deal then they are...

7thgenvic
03-03-2006, 03:57 AM

you have a huge kit on your civic with red seats! what is that?

lastprodigy
03-03-2006, 10:30 AM

Gay-DM :dunno:

CIVIC_MAN
03-03-2006, 12:35 PM

and i certainly dont go around calling my car jdm

Chrisw
03-05-2006, 09:41 PM
HAHAHA you guys kill me... JDM stuff is dirt cheap. You think tuning a hoda cost a lot, try tuning a BMW....our shift knobs are about 250 for an authentic one... :S

JordanEG6
03-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Chrisw
HAHAHA you guys kill me... JDM stuff is dirt cheap. You think tuning a hoda cost a lot, try tuning a BMW....our shift knobs are about 250 for an authentic one... :S

our 15" mugens are 2700 US :D

but then again, im sure AC schnitzer is hell of alot more
:nut:

lastprodigy
03-05-2006, 10:10 PM

lol dude, you drive a bare bones 320i and youre looking down on the honda crowd....its barely even a bmw...:rolleyes:

JordanEG6
03-05-2006, 10:13 PM

lol dude, you drive a bare bones 320i and youre looking down on the honda crowd....its barely even a bmw...:rolleyes:

ZING!!!

seriously tho, ouch...

CIVIC_MAN
03-05-2006, 11:43 PM
its funny because its true ^^^^

HTN SWCHS
03-06-2006, 02:03 AM
i forgot where this thread is going

22 year old student, 03 beamer, silver spoonfed much?

Accord_tunerx
03-06-2006, 03:00 AM
i forgot where this thread is going

22 year old student, 03 beamer, silver spoonfed much?

i wish mommy and daddy got me a bmw...

Lo)2enz0
03-06-2006, 07:00 AM
JDM IS COOL, but seriously some of the parts can get expensive. if you want to get into high end japan performance parts, like you are better off losing your balls and getting insurance money to be able to afford a stroker kit or anything worth buying

EK 2.0
03-06-2006, 08:12 AM
keep it on topic...you DO NOT need to bash him...even if he is a homie...

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 04:46 PM
some people are saying that jdm parts/cars are expensive because supply and demand. but arent both supply and demand high in this case, i would imagine old skylines and jdm parts are a dime a dozen in japan, so why the high price?

lastprodigy
03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
^ they are dirt cheap there....but people bringing them over are taking advantage of the lucrative market and making money...smart

JordanEG6
03-06-2006, 05:14 PM
some people are saying that jdm parts/cars are expensive because supply and demand. but arent both supply and demand high in this case, i would imagine old skylines and jdm parts are a dime a dozen in japan, so why the high price?

because what is junk to japan is gold to us, the prices reflect on OUR market, not theirs. people in canada and US feed on this shit all the time, so the market stays high.

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 05:15 PM
lastprodigy how can you possibly go from 4th gear to 2nd gear??

EK 2.0
03-06-2006, 08:39 PM

:rolleyes:

lastprodigy
03-06-2006, 08:46 PM

:rolleyes:

JordanEG6
03-06-2006, 09:15 PM

its called heal-to-toe downshift n00b hahahaha :rofl:

INITIALD
03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

CIVIC_MAN
03-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

dude im still confused, you know i mean status wise right

lastprodigy