PDA

View Full Version : East Coast/Maritimes (NS, NB, PEI)

clem24
02-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Anyone here from the Maritimes? My wife and I are heading out with the inlaws in July... My wife and I really like clam digging and was wondering if you guys knew any good spots? We've only dug in the Pacific before.

We've been to the East once before already (hit the usual stuff like Fundy Park, Hopewell Rocks, St. Johns, Peggy's Cove, Cape Breton). We also hit a place called Ozzie's Lunch by St. Andrews and loved it. However, I can't seem to find ANY info on it over the web! It appears that it might be closed (not even listed in the phone book)? As well, know any good wood craft's stores? We bought some uber expensive bird's eye maple stuff (like bowls and jewelry boxes) last time in the galleries in St. Johns. In laws would like to get some as well.

Anyway, any other suggestions on what else to hit, where to eat, etc...? I am a big time seafood addict. :nut:

hockeybronx
02-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Well I've never been, but here's a bump from another big time seafood addict.

I've promised myself I'll go over there sometime for a hardcore fishing expedition. Hopefully someone on here can give some good information and insight about what to expect from the Maritimes.

blueToy
02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by clem24
My wife and I really like clam digging

... lucky man , lol .:rofl: :rofl:
... mmm , nothing like a soft , wet clam I always say .

Not from the maritimes , but wifey is . If you're heading south out of Halifax , stop in Hubbards at a place called Strathford's . Awesome food . Fresh and worth every dollar ( little pricey , but .. ) . Or do what we did and stop here for your last meal before coming back . You can pick up a pound of fresh lobster meat for $49 . We brought home 4 pounds and gave most of it away to our lucky neighbours/family/friends .
If you are heading further south along the #3 , just south of Blockhouse right along the highway is a little spot called The Blarney Stone . Again , awesome seafood:drool: , big portions and not so much money ( what a great place !!! ) .
We also stopped at a place called Adams and Knickle in Lunenberg to pick up 5 pounds of fresh scallops . They are amazing :drool: , and they do a awesome job in packaging them up for you . This place is hilarious . You walk in and wouldn't think in a million years they's sell them because it looks like a hardware/old fashioned parts store . Yet when you ask them if they have any , they just smile and walk to a fridge way out in a corner , and get them for you . Really worth hanging out in Lunenberg also . Chock full of historic buildings , boats ( the Bluenose ! ) and such .
Lets see , Mahone Bay is really nice to check out , as well as Chester . Well , the whole south shore is nice , lol .

Cape Breton is supposed to be really nice too , as is PEI . Heck , where isn't it nice , lol ?? For me personally , as long as there are no big cities I like it all ..
Have fun . I can't wait to go back too .

clem24
02-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Whoa WTF?? 1 lb of lobster meat for $49??? Wow isn't that way more than what can be had in Calgary? :dunno:

Heh too bad we're making a pit stop in TO for a few days before heading back. I don't think the seafood will survive the trip back. We've been to Lunenberg as well. Very very nice place. We stayed at some nice B&B (actually our whole trip we stayed in B&B's, except for one night, and some dude called my room to see if I wanted to get "lucky"... ick). The only this is, when we went last time, we went during low season. Even the Hopewell Rocks were closed, so we had to sneak past the gates to go check it out..! :rofl:

I'll keep Hubbards and Blarney Stone in mind! If it's south, is it close to Peggy's Cove?

blueToy
02-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Whoa WTF?? 1 lb of lobster meat for $49??? Wow isn't that way more than what can be had in Calgary? :dunno:

Heh too bad we're making a pit stop in TO for a few days before heading back. I don't think the seafood will survive the trip back. We've been to Lunenberg as well. Very very nice place. We stayed at some nice B&B (actually our whole trip we stayed in B&B's, except for one night, and some dude called my room to see if I wanted to get "lucky"... ick). The only this is, when we went last time, we went during low season. Even the Hopewell Rocks were closed, so we had to sneak past the gates to go check it out..! :rofl:

I'll keep Hubbards and Blarney Stone in mind! If it's south, is it close to Peggy's Cove?

That would be 1 pound of only lobster meat . No shell , claws etc. It's actually several lobsters worth , and mighty tastey when fresh . It will keep for a fews days ( fridged , of course ) .

Past Peggy's for another half hour + for Strathford's ( which is in the Hubbards area ) and about a hour south of Peggy's ( on the #3 ) for the Blarney Stone . If you're going south , the Stone will be on your left hand side of the highway ( east side ) and it's hard to miss . I believe the nearest town is ...... I'll have to look it up later .

Cheers

blueToy
03-05-2006, 10:44 PM

Yes . I was corrected by my wife who mentioned that we paid $25 for the lobster , not $49 . My apologies to lobsters all over the world for undervaluing your ... protein .

Supa Dexta
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm from there... A week or so into july will land you right in time for the pictou (pick-toe, not pick-2) lobster carnival (hour and a half north of halifax)... Its pretty touristy, but the locals party it up hard for a few days too.. Stan rogers folk festival is also on around then too, I believe... if your into that sort of thing... Pictou is the town you'd come into if you took the ferry from pei, then from there theres a few other small towns around, newglasgow being the one that can cover any shopping you'd need (thats where the mall and more businesses are) A popular trip would likely be to drive from halifax to the confederation bridge, across to pei (13+km bridge that replaced ferry service on that end of the island a few yrs back):

http://www.dalvaybythesea.com/Gallery/images/Confederation%20Bridge_png.jpg then take the ferry back to ns (wood Islands/caribou crossing) Do this over a few days to take things in along the way.. Any of the tourists booths will be able to help you out with any questions, the east lives for this business... Let me know if you have any questions, I should be able to point you in the right direction.. (I've never been to NF though, only province I've yet to get to)
(Lobster season would be just ending in northern NS at that time, It would likely still be in season in other places, maybe the southside of pei for the 1st week of july, they will be selling them at lobster suppers all summer on pei) lots of good beaches around too if your looking for a swim)

:)

Oh and I forgot to add, you can stop and talk to anyone along the way, they will be glad to talk and help you out.. (or just tell you about how their day is going, how the family;'s doing....etc.) ha.. But seriously, they'll be more than willing to help and tell you where the hot spots are, or any activites you are looking for..

clem24
03-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Heh cool, thanks for the pointers. Right now, I am thinking of using your directions, but going backwards.. So I would start at Halifax, make my way to PEI via the ferry, take the bridge and head to NB/St. Johns, then back to NS/Peggy's Cove/Halifax.

I've already been to the bridge once before. It's pretty damn cool, but I wish there was a place where you could stop in the middle or something. No plans to go to NF.

Supa Dexta
04-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, thats the downside to the bridge.. too high to see over in a car.. I've been over several times in a semi.. See lots from up there, but you catch plenty of wind as well... :eek:

Gravy_83
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
shediac in the summer is the only place to be in the summer for sures. hit up captain dan's on the warf there. shediac is about 20 mins outside of moncton on the atlantic coast. great seafood everywhere's there. oh and in alma right by fundy take the last left before going into fundy park for possibly some of the best cold water lobster in the world it's amazing and cheap there too

clem24
04-17-2006, 12:06 PM
What's cold water lobster..?

Rollin'
05-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I'm from there... A week or so into july will land you right in time for the pictou (pick-toe, not pick-2) lobster carnival (hour and a half north of halifax)... Its pretty touristy, but the locals party it up hard for a few days too..
Haha, yeah I am from Pictou, good little spot to check out during the Carnival. And perfect if you plan on taking the ferry to PEI. If you haven't been around the Cabot Trail, then you must do that while visiting the Maritimes.

Rollin'
05-04-2006, 10:18 AM
What's cold water lobster..?

lobster from cold water, opposed to warm water (caribbean etc)